P700 Badlands Hawse Fairlead

C

Cozeep

Sep 23, 2019
Williams, Ca
Ownership

1. 700-2
Greetings all,

I have a quick question for any of you that have the Badlands ZXR 5000 winch mounted to their machines. I still have the steel cable and roller fairlead and was hoping to transition to the synthetic rope in the club store. My question is regarding the Harbor Freight 6" Hawse fairlead. Does anyone know if this will fit the bolt holes that are on the KFI winch mount? Harbor Freight Badlands fairlead looks to be 6" wide at the holes but the roller fairlead that came with the Badlands appears to be wider. I cannot recall if the KFI winch mount was slotted to accommodate various sizes? Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I don’t know if that will work or not. But I’ll let you know about my experience with synthetic rope. the original rope in my warn winch lasted 2 pulls / rope #2 1 pull. ( both ropes broke within 6 months ) Then I put 1/4” cable in it and I’ve not had any problems with it braking. I know a lot of people have good luck with rope just not my

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe I need to rethink the switch then...
There are a couple things that help with the life of synthetic winch line.

First:
Buy a high quality brand. I personally trust the products sold by Custom Splice. Amsteel blue would be my first choice but the diamondback rope has treated me well.

Second :
Install the rope on the drum and wrap it about halfway onto the drum. Unspool the rope and leave 6-8 wraps or most of the first layer on the drum. Hook the rope to a tree or truck, do not hook the rope back to itself. With the machine in neutral, Spool the winch in 10-12 ft with a light load on the cable, you will need to drag the brakes. Pay the cable out 10-12 ft and pull another time but pull harder. The goal is to stretch the rope, you will notice the weave in the rope will be tighter. Unhook the cable and spool it onto the winch carefully.

Third:
Always use a hook, shackle or treesaver with a synthetic rope and never hook it back to itself

Fourth:
Never drag a synthetic rope over obstacles under load, use a snatch block or cable wrap to protect the rope or guide it around obstacles

Lastly:
Never use a synthetic rope as a tug point. If you're tugging or yanking use a strap or kinetic rope, jerking the winch is bad for the rope and the winch motor.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Badlands Hawse fairlead does not fit the Badlands 5000 winch. I had heard that you can make it fit with some hole expansion, so I bought one. When I looked at how much material I'd have to remove, I returned it to HF.

That said, I've been running my synthetic with the roller fairleads for 2.5 years now with no problem. If yours are chewed or burred up from cable, you'd either want to replace them or file/sand them smooth before the rope touches them.

Synth line = 100X better than cable.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The Badlands Hawse fairlead does not fit the Badlands 5000 winch.
While I can't speak for installation on the 700, I can tell you that the HF Badland Apex Long drum hawse fairlead (6") works on the P1000 (with the ZXR5000 wide spool) because the fairlead mounts to the OEM bumper.

I also used the KFI winch mount (for my P1K5), but didn't use the KFI included plate for the fairlead/hawse. However, that plate has holes for either a 4.8" or 6" hawse/fairlead.

If the KFI mount for the 700 came with the SAME mounting plate as the KFI mount for the P1K, then the 6" HF Badlands long drum hawse will mount up to it.

That said, whether or not the mount plate that comes with the KFI mount for the 700/720 will support the ZXR5000 (or any wide spool) is beyond me, because the large center (working) hole on the KFI hawse/fairlead mount plate is only ~4.0" wide x ~2.25" high.

EDIT: No extra plate with the 700/700-4 KFI winch mount for wide spool winches (like with the P1K winch mount).

But ... this is the 700/700-4 KFI winch mount. I wonder what the measurements are between the holes where the green line is?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smittyp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!