P500 Badlands Winch Solenoid Location?

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I’ve looked at some post and pics, but couldn’t actually see how the solenoid was mounted on other p5s. I bought the 3500. I have it mounted, just starting to wire. Others say the red wire with circuit breaker is too short. I guess I’ll just add on to it. Do you have to drill holes for the solenoid? It appears that it might fit where the hole are in the picture if you cut out the plastic Thanks

Reactions: TxDoc
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Suggest a waterproof switched breaker for the hot wire, amps matched to the max winch amps, mounted close to the battery. It will protect your winch and the wire from shorts in the route to the front. Many posts on it. Add these posts under the hood so you can tap into it if you want to add a fuse block for accessories or power steering.
.EFA67539 5051 45EC A4E6 886C39088182569C3354 62FE 4C98 A7D4 747E7CDF4554

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I appreciate the information Mudder. So you think I could use one of these instead of the circuit breaker that came with it.Then come from the circuit breaker to the post. It has a red wire attached to a rectangular black box that says circuit breaker on it. But it’s not long enough to reach from battery to the solenoid.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I just swapped my Badlands 2500 for a 3500 on my P520 last week. Had a chance to just make sure it worked this weekend. You should love it. Night and day difference from the 2500.

Reactions: Mudder
T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Glad I went with the 3500 then. Where did you mount your solenoid? Did you spice your wire to reach the battery?

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
The 2500 had a wireless remote wired into the same black box that houses the solenoid and the plug for the handheld lead. So I "borrowed" some 8 gauge wire and ran it to a fuse bar under the hood. I then placed the box (with solenoid) under the hood, online with the winch. The best part was that when I swapped winches, the wiring with the remote receiver in it was already there, and I just had to plug the power into the new winch and the remote from the 2500 still powers it.

I will add this, get a wireless remote. Even when I had the 9000lb winch on my old F-150 I could not imagine not having it.

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Suggest a waterproof switched breaker for the hot wire, amps matched to the max winch amps, mounted close to the battery. It will protect your winch and the wire from shorts in the route to the front. Many posts on it. Add these posts under the hood so you can tap into it if you want to add a fuse block for accessories or power steering.
.View attachment 282032View attachment 282033
So how much wire and what size would you suggest using to hook up this way. First winch install for me. Thanks

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I appreciate the information Mudder. So you think I could use one of these instead of the circuit breaker that came with it.Then come from the circuit breaker to the post. It has a red wire attached to a rectangular black box that says circuit breaker on it. But it’s not long enough to reach from battery to the solenoid.
Yes, the circuit breaker can replace the winch‘s thermal breakers if you match the amp rating not to exceed the max amp rating of the winch. Just think of the terminal posts as an extension of the battery terminals. Never need to run anything else back to the battery when you add accessories.

If you still want to include the thermal breaker that came with the winch, connect it to the red post, no harm (see pic.). I used 6 gauge wire from the battery. And I second rhe recommendation for a wireless remote.

@Rustneversleeps also added a relay and fuse block, your job would simply disregard what I circled in blue.
7CDF2B38 2438 4BCB 953A 3D8AEA418753

Last edited:
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Here’s what I could find in the manual showing the amps. So what size breaker would I need 200? View attachment 282124

I'd suggest a higher amp circuit breaker than 200 for the draw you've shown. You don't want to keep kicking the breaker if it's not at maximum draw. If something starts shorting out or getting too hot it'll still trip with a 250.

Reactions: Bigtee
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
The power wires the came with my badlands 3500 were too short so I bought a cheap set of jumper cables ($8) I cut the clamps off and crimped some rings on each end. My solenoid is zip tied to the bar that you rca plugs are zip tied to.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!