Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Getting to the point that I'm wondering when the batteries are going to go. Stocker is 6 yrs old now and the second battery is about 4. What's your guys opinion, do I just let them take a crap and replace them afterward? Don't really like the idea of running low voltage and causing any kind of electrical issues either. Thinking I'd be proactive and change them out before having issues. Also wondering about type and brand. Can't complain about the stocker, it's held up well. Considering going with two of those but is there a better battery for around the same price? Keep in mind my second battery is about the same size and don't plan to go bigger or anything. I'm also wired in parallel so whichever one I decide on means I'll be getting two identical ones.
Just looking for some advice and input before going for it. Thanks.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
My intention was to run AGMs when I make the switch, as it sounds like they tend to be more shock resistant, but they are more expensive and your stock SLAs seemed to have held up just fine for you.

Have you considered running power leads directly to your nerf bars? Those things seem magical.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My intention was to run AGMs when I make the switch, as it sounds like they tend to be more shock resistant, but they are more expensive and your stock SLAs seemed to have held up just fine for you.

Have you considered running power leads directly to your nerf bars? Those things seem magical.
My OEM is AGM

052ECDEE 9E4F 471D 92B3 9A7B1542EA62

Parttime

Parttime

Feb 24, 2021
West Monroe La
Ownership

1. 500
Also wondering about type and brand. Can't complain about the stocker, it's held up well.
Well there’s only 3 battery manufactures in the US. Excide, Deka and Clarios ( formerly Johnson Controls). I have had pretty good luck with the Clarios batteries. You can find them easy at your local Walmart, Tractor Supply, Autozone , Advanced and Oriellys. Napa auto parts carries Deka batterie. Not sure who supply’s batteries to Home Depot or Lowe’s.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I honestly don't care about the price. I'll spend a few extra bucks to get the best. Never had a problem with the SLA I put in as the second battery but if AGM is better I'll go that route. Have been researching it a bit and you can find good or bad on anything. Right now I'm leaning towards Yuasa, Odyssey or Mighty Max. Any first hand knowledge of the latter two?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I honestly don't care about the price. I'll spend a few extra bucks to get the best. Never had a problem with the SLA I put in as the second battery but if AGM is better I'll go that route. Have been researching it a bit and you can find good or bad on anything. Right now I'm leaning towards Yuasa, Odyssey or Mighty Max. Any first hand knowledge of the latter two?
One I posted above was from the Honda dealer, $100. Have them in Pioneer and ATV. No complaints.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I had to replace my original battery in my 2018 last year. Not sure what happened but it only lasted 2 years? After researching like you Trigger, I ended up just buying another Yuasa (AGM) like what was in there. Despite the name, Yuasa is actually a US owned company based in Pennsylvania. I think I read most of the manufacturing was there also.

I also wanted to through in that I have experience with the Deka brand as well - best lawnmower battery you can buy in my opinion. All the box store brands including a Die Hard from Sears (before they closed) I was lucky to get 1-1/2 seasons of mowing out of them. I bought a Deka from a long-time, old-school general store / Hardware up north and I'll be going on the 5th year with that battery in my mower.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I had to replace my original battery in my 2018 last year. Not sure what happened but it only lasted 2 years? After researching like you Trigger, I ended up just buying another Yuasa (AGM) like what was in there. Despite the name, Yuasa is actually a US owned company based in Pennsylvania. I think I read most of the manufacturing was there also.

I also wanted to through in that I have experience with the Deka brand as well - best lawnmower battery you can buy in my opinion. All the box store brands including a Die Hard from Sears (before they closed) I was lucky to get 1-1/2 seasons of mowing out of them. I bought a Deka from a long-time, old-school general store / Hardware up north and I'll be going on the 5th year with that battery in my mower.

Good stuff man! I actually put a Die Hard gold lawnmower battery in as my second battery and it's held up well. I've seen the Deka batteries at Lowes and the price is right but I'm all but sold on the Yuasa now. Someone would have to chime in with some solid info to sway me now.

advertisement
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Trigger
Is there a advantage in 2 small batteries in parallel versus -- 1 large battery of equal CCA?

I'm using::
Start & Run system is stil. on OEM Battery --- Everything else is on Yellow Top Opima -- with Isolator -- With a switch in the ground wire of isolator -- (for long term storage ) .
For anti theft : Both Batteries Are connected to a Main shut-off Switch -- prevents any & all battery drain.
Per-installed Plug -- For Charging Both Batteries with 1 Charger -- ( Plug the Charger in Turn on Both Switches ).
For Maintaining: I Plug in a 30 Watt Solar Panel into the Pre-installed Plug.

This System : Charges Weakest Battery 1st. & the other battery last.

Olaf

Olaf

Aug 18, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
I only got 2.5 years out of my Yuasa battery then my next yuasa died overnight because it was cold so i had to bring it inside the house to charge several times this winter. I was hoping for a lot better since the dealer charged me 150 dollars for it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Trigger
Is there a advantage in 2 small batteries in parallel versus -- 1 large battery of equal CCA?

I'm using::
Start & Run system is stil. on OEM Battery --- Everything else is on Yellow Top Opima -- with Isolator -- With a switch in the ground wire of isolator -- (for long term storage ) .
For anti theft : Both Batteries Are connected to a Main shut-off Switch -- prevents any & all battery drain.
Per-installed Plug -- For Charging Both Batteries with 1 Charger -- ( Plug the Charger in Turn on Both Switches ).
For Maintaining: I Plug in a 30 Watt Solar Panel into the Pre-installed Plug.

This System : Charges Weakest Battery 1st. & the other battery last.

Probably no advantage other than keeping the factory battery box and wiring. My concern was with AH, wanted a bigger bank and adding a battery in parallel was the perfect way. I don't run anything for long periods of time without the engine running anyway but still considered installing an isolator. It has two flaws in my mind, both are with the starter battery always taking precedence. Continuous short trips means that second battery never sees a charge from the stator, making a tender mandatory. Or if it's stalled in a mud hole and winching out, once that auxillary battery has drained it's done. Even though you have another fully charged battery the isolator blocks you from using it. In that situation, I bought two batteries and I want all of it! I'll use a jump pack when I get out. Two identical batteries of the same age, charge and discharge at the same rate, wired together working as one. It's like 5 mini lion bots coming together to form one super bot. 🤖

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
The Isolator I'm using : Charges the Waekest Battery 1st. -- & an has Overide Button to Open the Block when needed.
Carry a12v Booster Pac in case I want or need to take the WINCH over to a tree. - or Boost machine
Plus - NOCO hand held 12v Pac. to Charge Electronics ( They claim it will Boost a Diesel )

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Isolator I'm using : Charges the Waekest Battery 1st. -- & an has Overide Button to Open the Block when needed.
Carry a12v Booster Pac in case I want or need to take the WINCH over to a tree. - or Boost machine
Plus - NOCO hand held 12v Pac. to Charge Electronics ( They claim it will Boost a Diesel )
What isolator are you using?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Just bought a NOCO GB40, nice small unit. Nice quality too.

I have replaced the battery once in my 08 Rancher.

The rule of thumb is every 5 years, so i am tempting fate a bit.

Just make sure any new battery is topped off before you use it, that helps longevity.

Reactions: pappyo and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What isolator are you using?

I only know of two types. True isolator which is automatic and is the one I'm referring to that gives the starter battery precedence. The other is a manual switch that you can isolate either one or combine them to be in parallel. Have had this discussion many times over the yrs and have been told that you can use the starter battery for aux power if needed with jumpers. Again, if stuck in a mudhole, I really don't want to have to start working on my electrical system. Chances are both batteries would be under water.
I can see the beauty of a manual switch but then it's up to you to manage the charge of the batteries. For my needs, would probably keep them in parallel most of the time to ensure they're both getting charge. Which would be combining two batteries that charge and discharge at different rates and isn't the ideal configuration.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
BATTERY Doctor 150 Amp

Just read up on it. Says "priority charging for starter battery", that's what I thought. Does have a switch to utilize the other battery in the mudhole situation, someone realized it was a flaw and addressed it. Keep in mind a winch under heavy use can draw north of 150 amps. I'll still stick to parallel, less risk for fail.

advertisement