P1000 Battery Cables, winch install

G

gearguywb

Jul 21, 2019
Kansas City
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Bought one of the new model Badlands 5K winches. Installed it last night with a Warn mount. At the same time, I am going to do a second battery install.

Looks like the best place for the winch solenoid is under the hood, slightly to the driver side.

It looks like most folks are tapping into the key on power at the fuse block.

The winch cables are way long to do anything remotely clean as far as install. It also looks like most folks are cutting out (getting rid of) the inline fuse on the positive cable. Is everyone cutting the cables and replacing the ends to make them the right length?

May have to grab a couple of new tools (oh darn!) as I don't know if I have anything that will cut something as thick as a battery cable.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed the Mile Marker 5000, and it didn't come wired for key-on power, so my winch switches (one on the dash, and one on the plug-in controller port mounted near the winch) always have power. The only thing I added was a winch-on/off power switch for the dash switch to hopefully stop the kids from hitting the winch-in/out switch accidently. Hind-site....I don't think a dash switch is needed. The cord for the plug-in controller is 10-feet long, and being that you'd get out of the machine to pull cable anyways, it's not much extra to simply plug it in and run the controller inside the machine if that's how you want to use it.

As far as the cables, I ran both positive and negative directly to the second battery and coiled the extra up, zip-tied them snug, and stored it up under the dash and out of the way. If the provided cables were rated for length provided, I didn't see a need to cut them and solder new ends. Just one less step, I guess. Cutting them to length would save a little room, but I used the area behind the glovebox that was all open. You won't use it for anything else and the coil can't been seen.

D

debo4x4

May 8, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought one of the new model Badlands 5K winches. Installed it last night with a Warn mount. At the same time, I am going to do a second battery install.

Looks like the best place for the winch solenoid is under the hood, slightly to the driver side.

It looks like most folks are tapping into the key on power at the fuse block.

The winch cables are way long to do anything remotely clean as far as install. It also looks like most folks are cutting out (getting rid of) the inline fuse on the positive cable. Is everyone cutting the cables and replacing the ends to make them the right length?

May have to grab a couple of new tools (oh darn!) as I don't know if I have anything that will cut something as thick as a battery cable.

I just installed the Badlands 5k winch too and yes I did cut the positive wire down to size but left the inline fuse(no real reason just how I did it). I also did the true isolator w/2nd battery and stinger activated by key on power(just tapped from the accessory fuse) along with a power distribution block for all my accessories. My winch relay is mounted on the passenger side so I could tuck the remote wires back behind the glove box. All worked out well. Several how to videos of youtube out there if you need a reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!