P1000 battery disconnect for winch

P

pioneerdoob

Feb 24, 2017
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is anyone using a battery disconnect switch on their winch? Mine came with one but I don't have a good location to install it and I don't see that anyone else is using one in install videos/posts.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Winch dash switches should be hooked to key on power.
So if that is all you use, you should be ok.
If you use a wireless remote, sometimes stray voltage/signals will operate the winch.
I will be adding an off switch to the winch remote control.
Have a good day

Reactions: Remington
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a master winch on switch on my dash witch controls power to my winch in and out button. The master switch is turned on from the accessory socket tap from the club store. Even with all these safeties my dog sometimes seems to run the switch when she puts her paws up on the dash. I have learned to leave my winch in the free spool mode until I need it to help save my front bumper.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Winch dash switches should be hooked to key on power.
So if that is all you use, you should be ok.
If you use a wireless remote, sometimes stray voltage/signals will operate the winch.
I will be adding an off switch to the winch remote control.
Have a good day
While I agree the wireless remote "on/off" switch is advisable to prevent RFI (radio frequency interference), I disagree with using key-on enable for the winch (though that option is often put forth here). I think it better to retain the ability to use the winch with key-off - all systems shut down except the winch and it's wireless receiver (if equipped). This is so because there may be times, for whatever reason, the motor can't be run during the winching. If this be the case, then needing to have key-on to winch is simply wasting battery power for un needed electronic sub-systems while subjecting them to low voltage.

Of course, having the engine running while winching is good, as the alternator can help with the current load, but if the engine is at idle the alternator won't put out much. At rated RPM (5,000?), I think it's only 50 amps max, while the winch can draw over 200 amps. So figure winching will most always be a net negative current draw situation, which is one reason why it's good to have a second battery with a winch.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yep, as @bumperm said, so many ways to make it work for you and how you want it.
My key on power is my kid safety.
No key, no power to winch.
Every other accessory will come on with the flip of a dash switch.
Have a good day

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kid proofing? Another option would be to install either a hidden winch "enable switch" or a simple key-operated on/off - lots of choices for + or - $10 on-line. I do like the idea of idiot proofing the winch when it's so easy to cause inadvertent damage.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never thought about this before, but I'm going look into putting in an on-off switch. I am planning on having the switch disconnect the low voltage to the relay that powers the winch, not the 12V line to the relay. This requires a much lower current rated switch. Is this how it is normally done?

Reactions: Smitty335
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never thought about this before, but I'm going look into putting in an on-off switch. I am planning on having the switch disconnect the low voltage to the relay that powers the winch, not the 12V line to the relay. This requires a much lower current rated switch. Is this how it is normally done?
Yup! And in the case of a wireless winch remote, the power to the wireless receiver is switched as a fail safe to prevent radio frequency interference from inadvertently turning on the winch with potential damage.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should add that if one is installing a failsafe, interrupting power to the winch, it's not necessary to do it twice. 🤔 If installing a switch interrupt for the winch control, then there'd be no need to install a separate interrupt for the wireless winch receiver.

On my '21 SE, it came with only a wired, plug-in remote that was long enough to allow you to stand directly in front of the sxs and run the winch. Not good. So an added wireless remote was the answer. Having only a dash switch seems short sighted as well, as there surely would be times when you don't want to sit or reach inside to operate the winch.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Nope, no disconnect switch for the primary (thick) winch cable. Just one on the in/out switch - must have key-on power OR the key-on/aux switch must be in the aux position.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey @HondaTech, I hijacked a thread a few days ago about an oil smell on my P1. Took off enough plastics to see what I needed to see and smell and let it run for 20 minutes and after all that I believe I have found the source of the smell, I believe the o-ring on the oil filler is compressed and not sealing the crank case again, replaced the first one with a Honda o-ring and it quit for a while, then came back. Time for a new source for o-rings. I tell my guys not to overlook the obvious and what do I do?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey @HondaTech, I hijacked a thread a few days ago about an oil smell on my P1. Took off enough plastics to see what I needed to see and smell and let it run for 20 minutes and after all that I believe I have found the source of the smell, I believe the o-ring on the oil filler is compressed and not sealing the crank case again, replaced the first one with a Honda o-ring and it quit for a while, then came back. Time for a new source for o-rings. I tell my guys not to overlook the obvious and what do I do?
@Smitty335 is your battery disconnected?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk53 and trigger
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Smitty335 is your battery disconnected?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
My ground was loose, emitting terrible odors that smelled like oil burning when running?

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
If installing a switch interrupt for the winch control, then there'd be no need to install a separate interrupt for the wireless winch receiver.
Unless you are trying to stop the constant drain on the battery (even when the machine is switched off) from the wireless winch receiver.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put a switch on my wireless only. This way I can still use the dash switch if needed without the key on.

Reactions: bumperm
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put a switch on my wireless only. This way I can still use the dash switch if needed without the key on.
I did the same. My winch came installed, with my '21 SE, with only a wired remote, the wire being only long enough to allow you to get to the front of the vehicle. Also the winch clutch was buried behind some plastic skirting - which I promptly cut away so I could get to it without hanging from the roof by my toes - - or something.

Anyway, it was not well thought out. I added a wireless remote that's powered by a small dash switch, the hardwired remote is still functional, but never used as the wireless is much more convenient. Cost $20 . . probably the cheapest thing on the Honda aside from me.

20210916 153324

cntryby

cntryby

May 27, 2019
southeast
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All my added accesories are on a manual switch. The winch control power to the relay is sourced from the added 12v acc, and it's own "winch power" switch. Both switches must be on for the winch to operate. Dual batts, key on doesn't matter. Cheap amazon Batt still pull'n me out.

Down at the creek / in the woods... etc. We get tired and need to take breaks... we get thirsty. May need lights, or wanna listen to music. Don't want the key on for that, key needs to be in my pocket where she can't get it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!