P700 Battery isolator

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Before I order the parts to run my aux battery set-up I was wondering what the difference is between the True battery isolator and the stinger isolator/relay. Do they both act as battery isolator. I see both used in the same set-up for running a aux battery but not sure why you need both if they do the same thing.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stinger can be made to connect the batteries for a self jump. The true iso can’t

Reactions: Sheepdog
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Stinger can be made to connect the batteries for a self jump. The true iso can’t
Ok so in the videos I’ve watched I see both used for the same system. Does the stinger act the same as the true isolator as far as the main battery safely charging the aux battery. I guess I’m wondering if I need both to safely operate a dual battery setup. Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so in the videos I’ve watched I see both used for the same system. Does the stinger act the same as the true isolator as far as the main battery safely charging the aux battery. I guess I’m wondering if I need both to safely operate a dual battery setup. Thanks

No the true is fine by itself but you need a 6” piece of jumper cable to self jump if your main battery dies for some reason. You can’t force the true iso to connect them it’s solely by system voltage.

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
No the true is fine by itself but you need a 6” piece of jumper cable to self jump if your main battery dies for some reason. You can’t force the true iso to connect them it’s solely by system voltage.
Ok, so if I use both and the main battery dies, I can use the stinger to start my p700

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok, so if I use both and the main battery dies, I can use the stinger to start my p700
Yes the stinger will switch over to auxiliary battery and you can start If factory one dies. On the True utv isolator you have to keep a 6" piece of wire handy and if main starting battery dies you have to jump terminals with it manually. Which is no big deal. I use the True and am very happy with it. Once you get one it's easier to see what your working with.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Can't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll resurrect this one... I have a question about battery isolators. Will the isolator allow both batteries to be charging at the same time?

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Can't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll resurrect this one... I have a question about battery isolators. Will the isolator allow both batteries to be charging at the same time?
Not at the same time. The isolator cycles back and forth between both battery's or stays on one if its lower then the other.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Not at the same time. The isolator cycles back and forth between both battery's or stays on one if its lower then the other.
Does it charge the battery with the lowest voltage? Hypothetical... if the aux battery is dead from running the stereo all night, and you start the machine the next morning, will the isolator allow the dead battery to charge and let the main battery voltage drop until, maybe, there's not enough power in the main battery to run the machine?

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does it charge the battery with the lowest voltage? Hypothetical... if the aux battery is dead from running the stereo all night, and you start the machine the next morning, will the isolator allow the dead battery to charge and let the main battery voltage drop until, maybe, there's not enough power in the main battery to run the machine?
Im not sure, now you have me wondering too

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hypothetical--- yes it charges the one with the lowest charge first. And I'm assuming it would charge the dead auxiliary battery until it reaches the others charge. But I have never monitored it for a definite answer.

Reactions: 70Bones
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Hypothetical--- yes it charges the one with the lowest charge first. And I'm assuming it would charge the dead auxiliary battery until it reaches the others charge. But I have never monitored it for a definite answer.
I guess a DC Clamp on ammeter would be the easiest way to check. Here I sit, with too much time on my hands and brain churning away...

Reactions: swsebek
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If we are talking about the TrueAM.
For this example. Say both batteries are low.

Then.
It charges the master battery first. Once it gets to above (x) volts it will turn the isolator ON and charge the second battery.

If the first battery never reaches (x) volts. Then it will never charge the second.

That's how I understand it to work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
If we are talking about the TrueAM.
For this example. Say both batteries are low.

Then.
It charges the master battery first. Once it gets to above (x) volts it will turn the isolator ON and charge the second battery.

If the first battery never reaches (x) volts. Then it will never charge the second.

That's how I understand it to work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ok, so in my hypothetical situation, it would charge the #2 battery until the main battery gets down to a certain voltage, then switch and top up the main, then go back to the #2 battery. Makes sense now, thanks guys!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!