Battery Replacement

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2017 P500 and I could not go more than 3 days before it wont start, dead battery. I put a disconnect switch on the module for my remote winch and now I get 6 days before the battery is dead. No other battery drain found other than the factory computer. I have a few questions; 1. There are very few battery choices available, any specific recommendations? 2. The battery housing looks like there is a bit of extra room beside it if I cut out a plastic support in the battery box. Does anyone have experience putting a larger capacity battery in the factory battery box? 3. The Honda dealer says it is normal to replace the battery every 3-4 years. Is this true?
Thanks

Reactions: TxDoc
TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had two lead acid batteries in my 2003 Yamaha Rhino.

I used a trickle charger and when I sold it last year, only one had been replaced.

Everything now is mostly non serviceable, maintenance free. But supposed to be glass mat designs that are vibration resistant.

I have Odyssey batteries off off Amazon in my Pioneer.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2017 P500 and I could not go more than 3 days before it wont start, dead battery. I put a disconnect switch on the module for my remote winch and now I get 6 days before the battery is dead. No other battery drain found other than the factory computer. I have a few questions; 1. There are very few battery choices available, any specific recommendations? 2. The battery housing looks like there is a bit of extra room beside it if I cut out a plastic support in the battery box. Does anyone have experience putting a larger capacity battery in the factory battery box? 3. The Honda dealer says it is normal to replace the battery every 3-4 years. Is this true?
Thanks
I'd say 3-4 years is pretty common. Less if they sit for long periods of time unused. More if a battery tender (or similar) is used regularly.

Reactions: trigger and TxDoc
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd say 3-4 years is pretty common. Less if they sit for long periods of time unused. More if a battery tender (or similar) is used regularly.
I am wondering about disconnecting the battery on a P1K-3 if not using the machine during cold winter months and if there is no electricity available to attach a battery tender? If or when my P1k-3 shows up sometime this month I may not be using it much if at all for a couple more months. It will be stored inside an unheated and unelectrified storage building until I am ready to actually use it much. Thanks for your comments!

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am wondering about disconnecting the battery on a P1K-3 if not using the machine during cold winter months and if there is no electricity available to attach a battery tender? If or when my P1k-3 shows up sometime this month I may not be using it much if at all for a couple more months. It will be stored inside an unheated and unelectrified storage building until I am ready to actually use it much. Thanks for your comments!
It would help with any parasitic draws definitely killing it off but honestly if you know you’re not going to use it I’d pull the battery and have it a maintainer on a workbench if power isn’t available at the machine. Or just know you’re not going to get longevity out of batteries and consider it a cost of ownership/maintenance.

Reactions: Bombardier Convert
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It would help with any parasitic draws definitely killing it off but honestly if you know you’re not going to use it I’d pull the battery and have it a maintainer on a workbench if power isn’t available at the machine. Or just know you’re not going to get longevity out of batteries and consider it a cost of ownership/maintenance.
Thank you that is what I was thinking too!

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks

Yuasa's are the best batteries for these IMO. You'll find some that compare but doubt you'll find one better. They're hard to come by right now from what I've read. Mine's always on a tender when not in use and I got 6 yrs out of the factory one. Even then it hadn't failed, I just figured it was due.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just get you a battery tender and that should take care of your problem. Im still on my 2016 stock battery using one.
I'm on my original 16 battery as well, no issues.

Reactions: Buggyman
advertisement