• Thread starter Mountain Whiskey
  • Start date
Mountain Whiskey

Mountain Whiskey

Dec 10, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This may have been talked about but I don't see it. I tried YouTube University but not much there. The beater I was taken to the cleaners for, looks like it has a bad wheel bearing among the other things I have found. Do I need to take the hub off and press this bearing?

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This may have been talked about but I don't see it. I tried LUBE TUBE University but not much there. The beater I as taken to the cleaners for, looks like it has a bad wheel bearing among the other things I have found. Do I need to take the hub off and press this bearing?
Fixed it for ya😉

You need to use a press, not a puller to get that wheel barring out. Unless you have alot of blood pressure meds?

So where is the State called USA located in your Avitar ? Might want to fix that if you dont want that asked alot lol

Also, no pics from you of your rig since you joined. Its Rule #4 Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Mountain Whiskey

Mountain Whiskey

Dec 10, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fixed it for ya😉

You need to use a press, not a puller to get that wheel barring out. Unless you have alot of blood pressure meds?

So where is the State called USA located in your Avitar ? Might want to fix that if you dont want that asked alot lol

Also, no pics from you of your rig since you joined. Its Rule #4 Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
The beater has been in my garage since I brought it up to Northern VA from the scammer dealer down in Galax VA. I'll get some pics when it sees daylight again.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you press in/out the bearing without removing the hub with that kit? I've got to do some bearings in the Spring, so if this works well I'm going this route.
You have to remove either the lower a-arm or the ball joints to get the axle shaft out. I'd prefer to remove the knuckle and work on the bench. As I recall I removed the upper ball joint and the lower a-arm because the lower ball joint but is a pain with the axle in place

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you press in/out the bearing without removing the hub with that kit? I've got to do some bearings in the Spring, so if this works well I'm going this route.
Yes but you have to remove the axle the axle passes through the bearing. I just removed the hub. To get the axle out it will be half way to removing the hub / knuckle so you might as remove it to make the job easier.

Mountain Whiskey

Mountain Whiskey

Dec 10, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, I figured I would try this tool before taking the hub up to the shop. I know I have one somewhere.

I can see getting frustrated trying to find it and going to the shop anyway. That is a sure fire way to find a missing tool. It will be practically waving a flag at me after a shop trip.

• Haha
Reactions: CID
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems like I remember the fastest way to remove front axles was to drop the upper a arm at the frame and swing the hub down and out of the way. Probably dropped the tie rod as well. The rears, you can half drop and swing them out.

I may try to do it this way, especially on the fronts if I can.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you know if this kit is large enough for like an F250?
You could probably make it work but it won't be ideal if you have rust. I've done 1/2 ton axles and smaller joints with mine for years

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you know if this kit is large enough for like an F250?
Not positive but I believe so it has a lot of adaptors. Check out the reviews that may be discussed

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not positive but I believe so it has a lot of adaptors. Check out the reviews that may be discussed
I wasn't worried about the adapter sizes. The press fit on the bigger ball joints might be better than the cheap threads on that press. I've seen the threads fail and the c-clamp bend or break.

Like this one.

IMG 20240107 125134

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This may have been talked about but I don't see it. I tried YouTube University but not much there. The beater I was taken to the cleaners for, looks like it has a bad wheel bearing among the other things I have found. Do I need to take the hub off and press this bearing?
So……..….which W/bearing, front or rear?

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!