P700 Battery went out on my pioneer 700-4 deluxe

W

weaponizedmre

Apr 30, 2020
La grande, OR
Ownership

1. 700-4
So my 2020 700-4 Deluxe has been sitting all summer with our trails closed for fire danger here in eastern oregon, so yesterday when I took it out to get my bow hunting partner up into some remote areas for him to try for a mule deer, I thankfully brought my little lithium ion jump starter to get it going. I was thinking that once I got it started (and I did need that little jump start) running it around the mountains would get the stock battery to charge enough. It did not.

I put the battery on my smart charger and it is not holding a charge, so now it looks like I am in the market for a new battery.

I have added a winch, lightbar, and two pairs of small lightpods to my machine, and I have always known that the stock battery was barely adequate for what I had there. I have considered adding a second battery under the hood where I installed some terminals for hooking up the other equipment, but with the power steering stuff in there I am not sure how I would get that to fit properly.

One option I thought about is going with one of these lithium ion batteries - ATX12-HD-RS Lithium Motorsport Battery

it fits the same case size as the stock battery but seems to be a big upgrade. I run one of these anti gravity lithium batteries in one of my turbo yamaha snowmobiles in the winter and it has done amazing in the cold (and are awesome for weight savings), but I am wondering if that would be a big enough upgrade to stick with a single battery for the pioneer 700-4 deluxe with the lights and winch.

If the stock battery was taking a charge I would consider just adding another one of those in a dual battery config, but maybe that might just be an expensive drop in I could consider and not have to fabricate any battery mounts to accommodate a second one.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Replacing your battery and adding a second one (same Pb, size) would be the simplest option. In the spec for that lithium battery, note that it is a lithium ion, and is rated as a starter battery (lots of cranking amps, not so much deep discharge), as opposed to a deep discharge/storage type. Note also, they claim 16 AH equivalent, 8 AH actual,
  • 16 Amp Hours (PbEq)/ 8Ah (Actual)
This is due to the fact you can take a lithium battery to 0 or nearly so, before the voltage drops precipitously below the useful level, while a Pb starts dropping voltage as discharge progresses and should not be discharged beyond 50% or service life decreases. (Leaving a Pb discharged for any length of time results in plate sulfation, as probably happened to yours.)

If you go with lithium, a LiFePO4 (lithium ferrous phosphate) gives a bit less energy, but is safer. True makes a version of their battery isolator charger that's compatible with a mix of lithium and lead/acid, though I have no experience with it.

W

weaponizedmre

Apr 30, 2020
La grande, OR
Ownership

1. 700-4
Replacing your battery and adding a second one (same Pb, size) would be the simplest option. In the spec for that lithium battery, note that it is a lithium ion, and is rated as a starter battery (lots of cranking amps, not so much deep discharge), as opposed to a deep discharge/storage type. Note also, they claim 16 AH equivalent, 8 AH actual,
  • 16 Amp Hours (PbEq)/ 8Ah (Actual)
This is due to the fact you can take a lithium battery to 0 or nearly so, before the voltage drops precipitously below the useful level, while a Pb starts dropping voltage as discharge progresses and should not be discharged beyond 50% or service life decreases. (Leaving a Pb discharged for any length of time results in plate sulfation, as probably happened to yours.)

If you go with lithium, a LiFePO4 (lithium ferrous phosphate) gives a bit less energy, but is safer. True makes a version of their battery isolator charger that's compatible with a mix of lithium and lead/acid, though I have no experience with it.

Thank you,

Would a YTX20 sized battery fit in the stock battery box maybe with a little modification? There are no YTX12/14 sized batteries in stock locally but I could pick up one or two YTX20 sized batteries to install in there for next weekends hunt if I can fit one in the stock battery box, and go with two of those.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you,

Would a YTX20 sized battery fit in the stock battery box maybe with a little modification? There are no YTX12/14 sized batteries in stock locally but I could pick up one or two YTX20 sized batteries to install in there for next weekends hunt if I can fit one in the stock battery box, and go with two of those.
Sorry, can't help you there, I have a P1000-5. BTW, I was not meaning to say the batteries needed to be the same size. That would only be the recommendation if the batteries were being wired in parallel (+ to +) with no battery isolator, such as the True. True also makes a version to allow use of a Pb and a lithium (I have no experience with those).

For short term, you could wire the aux battery directly in parallel with the main battery for extra capacity on your trip, though again, it's not recommended to leave them wired that way unless they are the same type, size, and age battery. Using an isolator, and the AUX battery for winch and accessories, is the preferred plan. That way you don't inadvertently run your main starter battery down. You can also carry a small jumper to connect the two battery positive posts in case you ever need to jump the starter battery from the AUX.

Reactions: weaponizedmre
W

weaponizedmre

Apr 30, 2020
La grande, OR
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sorry, can't help you there, I have a P1000-5. BTW, I was not meaning to say the batteries needed to be the same size. That would only be the recommendation if the batteries were being wired in parallel (+ to +) with no battery isolator, such as the True. True also makes a version to allow use of a Pb and a lithium (I have no experience with those).

For short term, you could wire the aux battery directly in parallel with the main battery for extra capacity on your trip, though again, it's not recommended to leave them wired that way unless they are the same type, size, and age battery. Using an isolator, and the AUX battery for winch and accessories, is the preferred plan. That way you don't inadvertently run your main starter battery down. You can also carry a small jumper to connect the two battery positive posts in case you ever need to jump the starter battery from the AUX.

Ahh ok.

I have had the stock battery on my battery charger and its twice now said its a bad battery, so I am going to have to replace it in addition to possibly adding a second one. I was thinking of trying to go big, and do the YTX20 sized battery and see if I can fit one of those in the stock battery compartment under the passenger seat, and then add another one down the line for accessories and stuff with the battery isolators.

Knowing I need at least one battery before I go out for another hunt, I was thinking I can grab one of the YTX20s locally if I can get that battery box to fit a battery roughly an inch wider.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dunno about the 700, but on the 1000, it would be tough to fit in a battery that's bigger than the space made for it in the moulding. Since the slightly bigger battery is sealed, you can put it in any way that it'll fit and the wires will reach the terminals . . . needs to be securely tied down, of course*.

*I mounted my aux battery and tied it down in an expeditious manner using a nylon cinch strap. Cut off the cam buckle with enough strap to reach the bottom of the well, then did the same with a length of strap. Used hot melt to glue the straps in place - use gloves so you can apply pressure. I tested this for shear strength on some scrap ABS - it's secure. I used some closes cell foam rubber for the strap to compress, so there's always tension on the battery.

As to choice of battery mounting locations, temperature extremes should be considered. A lead acid battery is rated at 77F, and for every 18 F above that (according to sources on-line), life expectancy is decrease by 50%. Under the seat, without cooling, could be a problem.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ahh ok.

I have had the stock battery on my battery charger and its twice now said its a bad battery, so I am going to have to replace it in addition to possibly adding a second one. I was thinking of trying to go big, and do the YTX20 sized battery and see if I can fit one of those in the stock battery compartment under the passenger seat, and then add another one down the line for accessories and stuff with the battery isolators.

Knowing I need at least one battery before I go out for another hunt, I was thinking I can grab one of the YTX20s locally if I can get that battery box to fit a battery roughly an inch wider.
probably not going to happen our stock batteries are fairky tight in there. sounds like you may have either just a faulty stock battery or a leeching voltage somewhere. with what you have if your not winching alot then stock will do just fine.
or similar to stock size. you could run the 20 under the hood though.

just grab you 2 sets of bolts and washers and some electrical tape. and 2 battery cables. what youll do is use the bolts under the seat where the stock battery was. bolt the grounds together then the hots. you have right there. wrap the hots with electrical tape. then hook your battery up to the battery side of your winch selenoid. that will feed juice back to under the seat . and give you the second battery option or bigger battery option without having to cut anything.
your winch battery side should always be hot anyways. the remote is the only thing that gets power on and off via the key. so your winch wont move still till you hit the button

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

1950Willys

1950Willys

Apr 4, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
There was a post on here in the past where someone did put a ytx20 in the stock location. All he did was cut the little divider that is down in the tray out and it fit fine. I beleive you get like 60 more cca's, 260 vs 200 which is a big increase. Just make sure you get the same post polarity positions. I plan to upsize when my battery decides to die.

M

mickel-12546

Dec 19, 2018
minnesota
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes, I also saw the yuasa ytx 20hbs post with the modification.Put one in my 700. it is slightly taller so a "rib" on the battery hold has to be cut out, sharp chisel with small knife does the job.

T

The Welder

Nov 22, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
So my 2020 700-4 Deluxe has been sitting all summer with our trails closed for fire danger here in eastern oregon, so yesterday when I took it out to get my bow hunting partner up into some remote areas for him to try for a mule deer, I thankfully brought my little lithium ion jump starter to get it going. I was thinking that once I got it started (and I did need that little jump start) running it around the mountains would get the stock battery to charge enough. It did not.

I put the battery on my smart charger and it is not holding a charge, so now it looks like I am in the market for a new battery.

I have added a winch, lightbar, and two pairs of small lightpods to my machine, and I have always known that the stock battery was barely adequate for what I had there. I have considered adding a second battery under the hood where I installed some terminals for hooking up the other equipment, but with the power steering stuff in there I am not sure how I would get that to fit properly.

One option I thought about is going with one of these lithium ion batteries - ATX12-HD-RS Lithium Motorsport Battery

it fits the same case size as the stock battery but seems to be a big upgrade. I run one of these anti gravity lithium batteries in one of my turbo yamaha snowmobiles in the winter and it has done amazing in the cold (and are awesome for weight savings), but I am wondering if that would be a big enough upgrade to stick with a single battery for the pioneer 700-4 deluxe with the lights and winch.

If the stock battery was taking a charge I would consider just adding another one of those in a dual battery config, but maybe that might just be an expensive drop in I could consider and not have to fabricate any battery mounts to accommodate a second one.

Bro
this weekend I installed a 600 CCA AGM battery under the drivers seat. Welded up a bracket at work, bolted it down to the structure that has the oil filler attached. Had to move the filler to the other side. Longer 6mm bolts will work for the filler. Used #2 welding cables leads going under the seat to where the old YUASA GYZ16 battery was. Added a marine breaker. I was cutting out the plastic around that empty hole under the seat, but it’s cleaner just to remove that plastic under the seat and drop in the battery. I also put a rubber mat on the base of the battery bracket to help with vibration and rubber also under the angle iron where it bolts to the structure. Put that plastic back on. Added a battery warmer also and an SAE trickle charge plug. Nasty starts here in northern Alberta when she is freezing out. The minus 30 starts are painful. All I know this was my primary reason Why I went with a larger battery. The only accessory I have is a KFI 72” plow. Will add an inferno heater once it shows up this week. Oh and added a Canadian Polar pad to the crank case (75 watts 2”x3”). So far in minus 5 she starts with no pain lol. I want to test her in the minus 30s to 40s but I don’t really want that weather lol. Anyways, why I never took a photo of the finished job I don’t know. But it’s at our cottage. I’ll be back down.

CFFB302A 7055 4687 A357 8ED9FB63BF6F 33CB8FF6 1A79 4C82 981A 2E935677B621

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!