P1000 Bed Side Panels

S

Stumper

Dec 30, 2023
Bandana, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I did say when I joined the forum that I’d gave a ton of questions… My project today was installing a rear bumper from SuperATV. One of the first steps was to remove the rear two (of 4) Allen head bolts that hold the side panels on so it could be moved a bit to facilitate removal of the tailgate pins..
First off Honda must lock tight every damn fastener on their machines because those things were a pain to break loose. That said, after removing the bolts on each side both side panel holes lost their alignment with the bolt holes. They shifted about half the hole diameter and try as I might I could not get the holes lined up again to put the bolts in. Has any one run into this before? Is there a trick to get the holes all lined up again?

• Haha
Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try a small screwdriver or pick to move it around in the hole to line it up? Sorry for the impending juvenile comments that are sure to follow...:rolleyes:

S

Stumper

Dec 30, 2023
Bandana, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They won’t move! I tried prying from the holes, prying with a board between the roll bar and bed.

Reactions: Backwoods
EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve had both my bed side panels disassembled and didn’t experience any issues with fastener alignment during re-assembly. You might need to loosen the panel adjacent fasteners for proper hole alignment. And not torque any fasteners until all fasteners have good tread engagement!
Just my suggestion.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
after removing the bolts on each side both side panel holes lost their alignment with the bolt holes. They shifted about half the hole diameter
Got any pics of this? Seems we are having trouble understanding exactly what u are talking about? Lots of mixed views here

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Well, I did say when I joined the forum that I’d gave a ton of questions… My project today was installing a rear bumper from SuperATV. One of the first steps was to remove the rear two (of 4) Allen head bolts that hold the side panels on so it could be moved a bit to facilitate removal of the tailgate pins..
First off Honda must lock tight every damn fastener on their machines because those things were a pain to break loose. That said, after removing the bolts on each side both side panel holes lost their alignment with the bolt holes. They shifted about half the hole diameter and try as I might I could not get the holes lined up again to put the bolts in. Has any one run into this before? Is there a trick to get the holes all lined up again?
Words are boring. Where are the photos?

S

Stumper

Dec 30, 2023
Bandana, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here’s a couple of pics to clarify…

IMG 1775 IMG 1776

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I noticed when adding my hood latch studs was a few of the bolts need to be inserted on a angle. With the different contours of the panels it makes them tough to get in, if they are straight. But like the comments above I would see if you CAN loosen the other bolts and move the panel back. Good luck.

Reactions: HBarlow
S

Stumper

Dec 30, 2023
Bandana, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing I noticed when adding my hood latch studs was a few of the bolts need to be inserted on an angle. With the different contours of the panels it makes them tough to get in, if they are straight. But like the comments above I would see if you CAN loosen the other bolts and move the panel back. Good luck.
I’ve managed to get a few in by doing this. Put The bolt into the panel holes and then went in at an angle to the side - careful not to cross thread. The front bolts are already all the way forward in the holes so no room there.

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I feel your pain on this one, during Covid I had to purchase a red machine or nothing at all with the shortage. the deal i made was to get the camo body panels at a discount .... so, finally when the panels arrived a few months later i started removing the red and installing the camo. The front clip went on perfectly, the fastener holes on the door and bed panels were off so badly that i returned them and had the dealership order another set, so ...... the second set of door and bed panels finally came in and they were just as bad as the first, talked to one of the mechanics and he said it's a common problem with the camo panels. Ultimately i ended up having my door and bed panels hydro dipped.

Reactions: Dirtstiffs-1000
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I feel your pain on this one, during THE SCAMDEMIC I had to purchase a red machine or nothing at all with the shortage. the deal i made was to get the camo body panels at a discount .... so, finally when the panels arrived a few months later i started removing the red and installing the camo. The front clip went on perfectly, the fastener holes on the door and bed panels were off so badly that i returned them and had the dealership order another set, so ...... the second set of door and bed panels finally came in and they were just as bad as the first, talked to one of the mechanics and he said it's a common problem with the camo panels. Ultimately i ended up having my door and bed panels hydro dipped.
Fixed it for ya!😎

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!