P1000m5 benefits/pitfalls of larger tires

C

chabra

Nov 14, 2017
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Disclaimer: Newbie here. So I recently purchased a 2017 1000-5. I am looking into adding c-fab control arms, wheels and tires. I like the control arms because I want to have the benefits of the arched arms and get a little lift. So my newbie question is: If one is going to use a 1000-5 for trails, steep hills with limited cut trails, some minor mud, not for deep water, not for serious rock crawling: what would be the benefit of larger tires? I feel that a larger tire would improve the visual aspect, but what else? Also, what do you give up to have larger tires? How far off is the speedo if you go to 29" or 30"? Will you lose a lot of low end torque?

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Disclaimer: Newbie here. So I recently purchased a 2017 1000-5. I am looking into adding c-fab control arms, wheels and tires. I like the control arms because I want to have the benefits of the arched arms and get a little lift. So my newbie question is: If one is going to use a 1000-5 for trails, steep hills with limited cut trails, some minor mud, not for deep water, not for serious rock crawling: what would be the benefit of larger tires? I feel that a larger tire would improve the visual aspect, but what else? Also, what do you give up to have larger tires? How far off is the speedo if you go to 29" or 30"? Will you lose a lot of low end torque?
From what has been told to me is that the arched a arms don't give you any lift???? I ride gravel roads with 12 inch gravel that are very steep and the larger tires would be nice. I have busted 2 stock and 1 8 ply front tires, I think I will try some 30 x 14 x 11 rims & tires all the way around. I don't think there is enough tire in the front for aggressive riding.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
From what has been told to me is that the arched a arms don't give you any lift???? I ride gravel roads with 12 inch gravel that are very steep and the larger tires would be nice. I have busted 2 stock and 1 8 ply front tires, I think I will try some 30 x 14 x 11 rims & tires all the way around. I don't think there is enough tire in the front for aggressive riding.

I assure the cfab arms give you lift my rig has 30s with only the a arms no other lift.

Reactions: JTW
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015

I cannot attest to how the 30s feel with no IGR, I have cfab and 30 inches with IGR and like it. Joey has 30s with no IGR and seems to do fine as well (when he's not on his side)

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cfab arms have built in lift.. the Super ATV do not have lift but the claim lift - which is actually more clearance for the A arms as they are arched higher.

Only other comment I can make is that I hear the ride is smoother as you have more sidewall to help absorb impacts.

Reactions: JTW
C

chabra

Nov 14, 2017
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I cannot attest to how the 30s feel with no IGR, I have cfab and 30 inches with IGR and like it. Joey has 30s with no IGR and seems to do fine as well (when he's not on his side)
what is "IGR"?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I assure the cfab arms give you lift my rig has 30s with only the a arms no other lift.
You know it makes since, to make arched a arms with lift built in. Super ATV it's two separate kits $ 640.00. I'll try to look them up. How much lift?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You know it makes since, to make arched a arms with lift built in. Super ATV it's two separate kits $ 640.00. I'll try to look them up. How much lift?
Pretty pricey $ 775.00, but the other adjustments, what are they, camber?

advertisement
Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Pretty pricey $ 775.00, but the other adjustments, what are they, camber?

about 2-3 inch lift, both front and back have adjustments

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotta pay to play lol,

I'm a new owner to the pioneer so I can't speak how it will react to having larger tires, but I have at one point in time put larger tires on every machine I have owned, most of the time I went too aggressive and regretted it and ended up putting on a less aggressive tire or went back to the original. I put outlaws on my foreman and it chewed up front bearings like candy (heavy mud use plus larger aggressive tire) switched to a less aggressive tire and problem went away. Bigger tire I was able to clear obstacles easier didn't get stuck as much as the other guys (can't say I got stuck less just went through bigger holes lol). For my two cents, take a hard look at what type of riding you are really doing and go from there, but be expected for increased wear and tear on your machine for doing lift and larger tires. As always ride and drive it how you want to and what your comfortable with and you will be happy. Just don't bash a machine or brand if you put on larger heavier tires lift kit and go through giant mud holes or climb mountains and then something breaks.

Reactions: lee and chabra
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Gotta pay to play lol,

I'm a new owner to the pioneer so I can't speak how it will react to having larger tires, but I have at one point in time put larger tires on every machine I have owned, most of the time I went too aggressive and regretted it and ended up putting on a less aggressive tire or went back to the original. I put outlaws on my foreman and it chewed up front bearings like candy (heavy mud use plus larger aggressive tire) switched to a less aggressive tire and problem went away. Bigger tire I was able to clear obstacles easier didn't get stuck as much as the other guys (can't say I got stuck less just went through bigger holes lol). For my two cents, take a hard look at what type of riding you are really doing and go from there, but be expected for increased wear and tear on your machine for doing lift and larger tires. As always ride and drive it how you want to and what your comfortable with and you will be happy. Just don't bash a machine or brand if you put on larger heavier tires lift kit and go through giant mud holes or climb mountains and then something breaks.
I'm not a mudder, been there done that, I do like rough rocky trails though!

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Having a lift and 30in silverbacks on a p1k5 I have gained a lot of ground clearance, visually it looks meaner. But I lost mpg's I burn twice the fuel I used to I also scrub in the front if I hit a descent bump and I can't turn full lock left and right. My turning radius has increased but in mud I have done circles around 4 wheelers with same tires that were buried and I wasn't. The trick is don't hammer it the silverbacks dig down trying to find bottom. I go slow in low and have yet to get stuck if the mud looks sketchy I put it in 4wd the tires just pull. Another draw back the ride quality on hard pack at low speeds is horrible it can knock fillings loose I have to tighten up my light bar and windshield hardware often.

Reactions: JenElio
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
20170922 100818
20170920 074034

Before and after photos no lift 27in mud lites, highlifter lift and silver backs

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Having a lift and 30in silverbacks on a p1k5 I have gained a lot of ground clearance, visually it looks meaner. But I lost mpg's I burn twice the fuel I used to I also scrub in the front if I hit a descent bump and I can't turn full lock left and right. My turning radius has increased but in mud I have done circles around 4 wheelers with same tires that were buried and I wasn't. The trick is don't hammer it the silverbacks dig down trying to find bottom. I go slow in low and have yet to get stuck if the mud looks sketchy I put it in 4wd the tires just pull. Another draw back the ride quality on hard pack at low speeds is horrible it can knock fillings loose I have to tighten up my light bar and windshield hardware often.
We have mostly rocks and a lot of them, every dimension and size you can imagine!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!