Best / Fastest way to cut 1.5” double foil faced foam insulation board?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Hey all

I just scored 3 20’ trailer loads of used foil faced foam boards that were taken out of a warehouse. I’m going to used them to insulate my pole barn / small business shop.

I’m looking for some advice on what is the fastest way to cut these boards down to infill the many voids on my walls and rafters.

I’m familiar with using carpet knife and a t-square as I’ve insulated many ice houses, trailers etc, but the scale of the work I need to do is many magnitudes bigger.

I need to rip nearly 150 boards into narrower sections and a whole pile of squaring up broken boards.

I’m considering setting my radial arm saw up outside and just blasting thru them and just dealing with the dust with a high level mask etc.

Any one have any better suggestions? Ideally not so dang messy?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all

I just scored 3 20’ trailer loads of used foil faced foam boards that were taken out of a warehouse. I’m going to used them to insulate my pole barn / small business shop.

I’m looking for some advice on what is the fastest way to cut these boards down to infill the many voids on my walls and rafters.

I’m familiar with using carpet knife and a t-square as I’ve insulated many ice houses, trailers etc, but the scale of the work I need to do is many magnitudes bigger.

I need to rip nearly 150 boards into narrower sections and a whole pile of squaring up broken boards.

I’m considering setting my radial arm saw up outside and just blasting thru them and just dealing with the dust with a high level mask etc.

If it wasn’t foil backed you could do a heating element/hot knife and melt right through it. As is…it’s a good score but not a great quick way to cut it that isn’t going to create a mess that I know of.

C

Cobber4082

Lifetime Member
Mar 26, 2019
Solon Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all

Oscillating multi-tool with the scraper blade sharpened...like butter, low mess, good clean square cuts...wear hearing protection the tool will make resonance in the foil board- neighbors dog went nuts lol

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I might give this a try with my cordless jigsaw, especially notching around boxes etc.

BOSCH T313AW3 3-Piece 6 In. Knife Edge Special for Soft Materials T-Shank Jig Saw Blades
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J0U1HC?tag=sxsweb24-20
LMK how this works out for ya.
I have a bunch of 1” foil back to cut and put between the ceiling joists in my barn up north.
Was gonna use a bunch of long exacto knife blades but this looks like a better Idea for my Fuel cordless jig saw.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and ChadD
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm about to delve into this very thing. I have a bunch of 1.5" foil faced rigid that was left over from a job that I'm going to use to insulate a wood floor barn I'm building. I planned on setting up the table saw but it might be quicker to just clamp a straight edge and cut them with the circular saw. It's going to be a mess either way. I have those other (less mess) tools mentioned as well but it would probably take forever that way and with winter coming... 🤷‍♂️

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all

I would recommend a table saw and a dust collector with a cyclone separator connected between the table saw and dust collector. The cyclone should remove 90% of the foam dust

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I did the same to my barn last year. 1.5" non-faced foam to wedge between the purlins. I initially tried to use my table saw and nearly died attempting that; DO NOT RECOMMEND. I then used a silky saw which worked well enough to get the job done but made an absolute mess. If I had to do it again, I'd use one of those soft material blades for my jig saw.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I would recommend a table saw and a dust collector with a cyclone separator connected between the table saw and dust collector. The cyclone should remove 90% of the foam dust
Unfortunately I don’t have any of that and the closest thing to a dust collector I have is a gas powered leaf blower that has a suction intake lol.

If I had a table saw that I’d try this type of blade..
Bullet Tools - CC52-1507 7.25 in. CenterFire Dust Free Foam Blade for cutting EPS, XPS & Poly-ISO insulation
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KM0RLUU?tag=sxsweb24-20

they don’t make a 10” that I can see otherwise I’d use it in my radial arm saw.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
advertisement
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I did the same to my barn last year. 1.5" non-faced foam to wedge between the purlins. I initially tried to use my table saw and nearly died attempting that; DO NOT RECOMMEND. I then used a silky saw which worked well enough to get the job done but made an absolute mess. If I had to do it again, I'd use one of those soft material blades for my jig saw.
On your table saw did the blade break or something?

What type of blade were you using?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
On your table saw did the blade break or something?

What type of blade were you using?
Nah, the foam was just super easy to get bound up on the blade. It would just grab the foam and sling it sideways when it kicked back. It was however, just a portable Milwaukee saw and a ripping blade.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!