Talon Best Tablet brand/size for GPS (i.e. Gaia) usage

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the info and the photos. I'm looking to mount just under the roof.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
From strictly a hardware standpoint the GPS chips used in the Samsung Galaxy Tab A series seems to be the best overall at accurate tracking outside of a true mapping GPS such as the Garmin Montana 600 series. The only downside to the Garmin is the 4" screen, which is great for portability, but is lacking when trying to read on the fly going down the trails. This is my humble opinion after owning 2 Garmin Montana 650Ts and migrated to the 10" & 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablets originally using the Oruxmaps app for my trail duties.

The particular GPS chips in the Samsung tablets not only tracks US GPS, but also the Russian GLOSNASS satellites offering a bit of redundancy. You need 3 satellites minimum to get position accuracy within 100 feet, these chips track up to 12 satellites concurrently for some of the best non military hardware accuracy available as a true stand alone off road GPS solution especially for under $200.

JACKAL, circling back around to this post, I am wondering about your preference regarding 8" versus 10" Samsung tablet? You mention that you've used both. Clearly the 10" would provide a bigger image, but I'm concerned about it taking up too much real estate in an already somewhat cramped Talon cockpit. Can you elaborate on, a) your preference, 8" or 10", and b) the reasons for that preference?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Fusefinder

Fusefinder

Aug 9, 2019
Germantown Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a Lenovo Tab 4, 8" Android Tablet. With waterproof case. I was using Back country navigator. I also use Polaris Ride command ( still have the RZR 570 50"). Ride command has maps of every park we have been to as well as bridal trails for horse trails we frequent. Just download before you leave the house! Tracks route, milage, time and works in airplane mode on cell phone.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I finally opted for the 8" Galaxy Tab A with a case and mount purchased on Amazon. I am using Gaia, although I also have Polaris Ride Command loaded as well (probably should check out Backcountry Navigator and install it too). I've installed a 256 gig SD card, so map downloads shouldn't be a problem for a good, long while. My initial mounting is to the passenger grab bar via a RAM mount clamp and 6" arm. This puts the tablet in a convenient location, below driving eye level, which is important to me, as I it is more accommodating of my trifocal lenses. I have a secondary RAM mount on the roll cage directly above the windshield, but using this requires that I tilt my head up substantially in order to see the screen through the bottom of my glasses (where my bifocals are). I'll be testing the passenger grab bar location out next week, as we're taking the Talon to the Red River/Taos/Angel Fire, NM area for a few days of trail riding in the mountains.

Here are a few pics of my setup:

Mount without the tablet installed
20190818 212702

Mount from above the passenger grab bar (without tablet installed), showing the RAM clamping mechanism and 6" arm.
20190818 212950

With the tablet installed. Note that it's in close proximity to the power outlet, which is a definite plus. Note also that I've applied a piece of neoprene padding on one of the switch covers. The bottom corners of the tablet rest on this padding and the rubber passenger grab bar grip, which really enhances the stability of the unit.
20190818 212855

I do have concern about what I believe to me the questionable robustness of the mount. It's entirely plastic, and I don't know whether it will stand up over the long haul. Time will tell.

Here are links to the case, mount, and RAM clamp:
I've already downloaded maps for the region, so I should be good to go.

BTW - I opted for the cellphone (AT&T) version of the tablet, as it is edge-to-edge glass rather than the Wifi only version, which is only available with a physical button in the HOME position. I just like the idea of fewer opportunities for dust ingress. It was about $20 more than the Wifi version ($220). But, the cell phone coverage adds another $10 + taxes to my monthly cell bill. Of course, I can always cancel that service, as I'm not on any contract.

I'll report back on performance once I return from my trip. Oh, and thanks to JTW for directing me to the mount and case on Amazon.

Steve

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!