• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon Best Tablet brand/size for GPS (i.e. Gaia) usage

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by stellarpod, May 12, 2019.

1. iloehr99

iloehr99 Member

I just recently got the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07856DNSX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I use this ram mount holder which plugs in the 12V cigarette lighter and charges when the tablet is put in the holder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010E41EA6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the Backcountry navigator Pro. I have used this app for years on my phone and it has worked great. There is a new version call Backcountry Navigator XE which is way better. I haven't got a change to use it on the trails yet but the user interface is much much better.

The tablet is extremely durable and you don't have to worry about it getting wet. I was riding at Rush Offroad in Kentucky and it downpoured and it worked just fine in the rain. It was even still easy to use the touch screen with it wet. I don't have a picture of it mounted but I will try to get one and post it later.

2. rbtnt

rbtnt Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Are you happy with the Active 2 tablet? I tried Backcountry Navigator XE and it seem to have bugs. I'm looking at getting an Active 2 tablet to load Backcountry Navigator Pro and OruxMap. I tried both on a Galaxy S7, but don't know which one I like better. There are pros and cons for each one.

Did you get a chance to tale a picture of yours mounted? I am looking at getting a locking mount that is easy to unlock and remove.

3. iloehr99

iloehr99 Member

I'm really happy with the Active 2. Mainly that its extremely durable. I don't have to worry about getting mud and water all over. I still try not to get crud on it but it's gonna happen. Also, it's just like using my Galaxy S8 Active phone so it's easy to use for me. I agree on the XE. Hopefully they will get it straightened out soon. I use the Orux when I can't get maps to overlay on backcountry, I can usually get them on the Orux. Here's some pictures I got of my phone mount and the tablet mounted in the Pioneer and in the Talon.

20190614_093230.jpg 20190614_093245.jpg 20190614_093418.jpg 20190614_093434.jpg 20190614_093728.jpg 20190614_093743.jpg 20190614_093812.jpg 20190614_093823.jpg

stellarpod likes this.
  4. rbtnt

rbtnt Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    Thanks for the info and the photos. I'm looking to mount just under the roof.

5. stellarpod

stellarpod Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X

JACKAL, circling back around to this post, I am wondering about your preference regarding 8" versus 10" Samsung tablet? You mention that you've used both. Clearly the 10" would provide a bigger image, but I'm concerned about it taking up too much real estate in an already somewhat cramped Talon cockpit. Can you elaborate on, a) your preference, 8" or 10", and b) the reasons for that preference?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

6. Fusefinder

Fusefinder New Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I have a Lenovo Tab 4, 8" Android Tablet. With waterproof case. I was using Back country navigator. I also use Polaris Ride command ( still have the RZR 570 50"). Ride command has maps of every park we have been to as well as bridal trails for horse trails we frequent. Just download before you leave the house! Tracks route, milage, time and works in airplane mode on cell phone.

7. stellarpod

stellarpod Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    I finally opted for the 8" Galaxy Tab A with a case and mount purchased on Amazon. I am using Gaia, although I also have Polaris Ride Command loaded as well (probably should check out Backcountry Navigator and install it too). I've installed a 256 gig SD card, so map downloads shouldn't be a problem for a good, long while. My initial mounting is to the passenger grab bar via a RAM mount clamp and 6" arm. This puts the tablet in a convenient location, below driving eye level, which is important to me, as I it is more accommodating of my trifocal lenses. I have a secondary RAM mount on the roll cage directly above the windshield, but using this requires that I tilt my head up substantially in order to see the screen through the bottom of my glasses (where my bifocals are). I'll be testing the passenger grab bar location out next week, as we're taking the Talon to the Red River/Taos/Angel Fire, NM area for a few days of trail riding in the mountains.

Here are a few pics of my setup:

Mount without the tablet installed
    20190818_212702.jpg

Mount from above the passenger grab bar (without tablet installed), showing the RAM clamping mechanism and 6" arm.
    20190818_212950.jpg

With the tablet installed. Note that it's in close proximity to the power outlet, which is a definite plus. Note also that I've applied a piece of neoprene padding on one of the switch covers. The bottom corners of the tablet rest on this padding and the rubber passenger grab bar grip, which really enhances the stability of the unit.
    20190818_212855.jpg

I do have concern about what I believe to me the questionable robustness of the mount. It's entirely plastic, and I don't know whether it will stand up over the long haul. Time will tell.

Here are links to the case, mount, and RAM clamp:
    I've already downloaded maps for the region, so I should be good to go.

BTW - I opted for the cellphone (AT&T) version of the tablet, as it is edge-to-edge glass rather than the Wifi only version, which is only available with a physical button in the HOME position. I just like the idea of fewer opportunities for dust ingress. It was about $20 more than the Wifi version ($220). But, the cell phone coverage adds another $10 + taxes to my monthly cell bill. Of course, I can always cancel that service, as I'm not on any contract.

I'll report back on performance once I return from my trip. Oh, and thanks to JTW for directing me to the mount and case on Amazon.

Steve

#27 stellarpod, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019