P700 Best tire setup for sandy ruts

S

Smon

Apr 22, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a specific use for my 2019 700-4 deluxe. We use it on a vineyard which ends up getting sandy ruts down the rows. The ruts are not the width of the machine so it is difficult to control sometimes for my wife.
My question is if I need to go with all 4 the same size and space out the rear wheels or keep the stagger. I’m not trying to match the rut width, just have the best setup so there’s a little more control if possible.

We also drive down hard pack and a road, so I was leaning towards 27” terrabites.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a specific use for my 2019 700-4 deluxe. We use it on a vineyard which ends up getting sandy ruts down the rows. The ruts are not the width of the machine so it is difficult to control sometimes for my wife.
My question is if I need to go with all 4 the same size and space out the rear wheels or keep the stagger. I’m not trying to match the rut width, just have the best setup so there’s a little more control if possible.

We also drive down hard pack and a road, so I was leaning towards 27” terrabites.

Terrabites look like a flat profile tire which isn't ideal in snow or sand. Flat profile tires tend to dig and are better suited for mud and road running as they'll wear better. A round profile tire will have more flotation and do better in the soft stuff. As for the ruts, your still going to get tossed around a bit but maintaining an even track width will help with navigating them.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Terrabite profile at 12 psi
Try lowering your tire pressure a bit

20220911 142121

Last edited:
S

Smon

Apr 22, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Those terrabites have more curvature than I was expecting. Photos look much more flat online.

I currently have well worn quadboss 447 tires, which seem to have a low load rating as well. They came on the machine when I bought it.

S

Smon

Apr 22, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Picked up a set of 27x9 terrabites. Installed a front and a back and realized that the rear wheels must be wider than the front. I thought the wheels were all the same and I would be able to rotate as well as get the same track width.
Is it an issue running the 9” wide tire on these rear wheels? Not much sidewalk bulge. I don’t really care about how it looks, just don’t want to mess up the tire prematurely or cause any other issues.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Picked up a set of 27x9 terrabites. Installed a front and a back and realized that the rear wheels must be wider than the front. I thought the wheels were all the same and I would be able to rotate as well as get the same track width.
Is it an issue running the 9” wide tire on these rear wheels? Not much sidewalk bulge. I don’t really care about how it looks, just don’t want to mess up the tire prematurely or cause any other issues.
If using stock wheels I believe offset is different also. When using aftermarket wheels the back needs to be spaced about 1/2 to 1 inch more if using same size tire.

S

Smon

Apr 22, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I knew I would need to space the rear wheels out to get the same width, I just didn’t realize the actual wheel widths are different. I kept seeing other say they went the same size all around to rotate, but I’m guessing they also bought wheels with their new tires. Or maybe they are removing tires for a rotation.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I knew I would need to space the rear wheels out to get the same width, I just didn’t realize the actual wheel widths are different. I kept seeing other say they went the same size all around to rotate, but I’m guessing they also bought wheels with their new tires. Or maybe they are removing tires for a rotation.
new wheels would be my guess

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Tusk TriloBites are great tires, do very well in sand (not bad in mud either), and are affordable. I have a set on an old Komaski Mule.

Rocky Mountain ATV

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

I have 27" Maxxis Big Horn 3.0 and they do pretty good in sand. But as someone else has pointed out, they are loud on the pavement. And for riding the ridges of ruts, they might not be great.
20211002 190809991 iOS

S

Smon

Apr 22, 2022
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
The more I think about it, I think the most important thing is that my front and tears track the same through the sand. I’m in no danger of getting stuck, so I think the tread means less here. As long as the back isn’t fighting to drop to the left or right, it will feel like she has more control.

the 9” wide on the rear wheels look a little goofy but I’m the only one who cares about that. I just got the new ones mounted so no testing yet out in the sand. I’ll need to pick up some wheel spacers as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!