BRed Big Red 700 won’t shift until warms up

S

Soakes24

Nov 29, 2021
Glasgow
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Big Red
I have a 2011 Big Red 700 that won’t shift until it warms up. I’ve changed the oil and it is full. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2011 Big Red 700 that won’t shift until it warms up. I’ve changed the oil and it is full. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
How are you checking the oil?

How many miles? May just be time to put it down.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should have ask this in my 1st post, but would you elaborate on "not shifting" and "cold"?

These tranny's don't work cold. If you're running out and jumping in it on a 30 degree day and taking off, it's probably not going to shift and maybe even slip. Just the nature of them using engine oil. If things are normal when up to temp, they may be nothing wrong, but they are known to be sensitive to oil level, so...

I always check the oil before I start it. It has around 4000 miles
HOW are you checking the oil?
If you're just going out in the morning and pulling the dipstick before you start it, I guarantee there isn't enough oil in it. You can do that to verify that there is enough oil to prevent engine damage, but this is the procedure;
1) Start machine and let it idle for 5 minutes if ambient temp is above 50f. Below 50f, and an additional 5 minutes to the idle time.
2) Stop the engine and wait 2-3 minutes and check the level without screwing the dipstick in. It's considered beneficial to run them slightly over full.

Reactions: Hondarider
S

Soakes24

Nov 29, 2021
Glasgow
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Big Red
I should have ask this in my 1st post, but would you elaborate on "not shifting" and "cold"?

These tranny's don't work cold. If you're running out and jumping in it on a 30 degree day and taking off, it's probably not going to shift and maybe even slip. Just the nature of them using engine oil. If things are normal when up to temp, they may be nothing wrong, but they are known to be sensitive to oil level, so...

HOW are you checking the oil?
If you're just going out in the morning and pulling the dipstick before you start it, I guarantee there isn't enough oil in it. You can do that to verify that there is enough oil to prevent engine damage, but this is the procedure;
1) Start machine and let it idle for 5 minutes if ambient temp is above 50f. Below 50f, and an additional 5 minutes to the idle time.
2) Stop the engine and wait 2-3 minutes and check the level without screwing the dipstick in. It's considered beneficial to run them slightly over full.
Thanks for the info. I’ll check it that way when I get in this afternoon

Reactions: DG Rider
H

Hondarider

Mar 21, 2014
@Soakes24 did you find your oil level was running lower than it should be? And how is transmission shifting?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!