Big Red starters

B

butzy

Jul 22, 2014
Had same issues as other big red muv owners. Starter was sluggish last winter and this summer it died. Starter magnets were cashed. Couldnt find aftermarket starter anywhere. Had to order new starter. Waiting for it now.

T

turbodog

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure out why our 2 '09 models crank like turds even with new dual batteries. Both units had cracked magnets and loose magnets. Looks like honda did not use enough glue on the magnets. I've got a brother that's a high-profile attorney. Anyone up for a class action suit?

Reactions: IndianaMike
T

turbodog

7455 4997883d98aa4f16ca4c876b7faca906
7454 5102b8efaa512ed362a7378c7d6e4282
7453 c4f394f3df54fd1f4646f32f54e0115c

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Glad you found the issue. 6 years on a starter is fairly good and most likely past Honda's realistic expectations.

Hope u get it back up and running soon. Thanks for sharing.

T

turbodog

Glad you found the issue. 6 years on a starter is fairly good and most likely past Honda's realistic expectations.

Hope u get it back up and running soon. Thanks for sharing.

Can't say this makes much sense. Both units have cranked poorly since they were brand new. Also... we have other atvs that are 20+ years old on original starters.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I understand the disappointment, my 12 year old Honda foreman still has a strong starter. I would also expect the same on my Honda SXS.

Reactions: ohanacreek
T

turbodog

I guess my plan now is to proceed with the new starters (which are a different design). If it fails... I will have to setup some additional forced-air cooling that is directed onto the starter.

M

madmech

Feb 4, 2016
Tennessee
We are having the starter problem with our 2011 Big Red. My question is: how did you get to the starter? I'm a mechanic by trade and this has got me stumped. Everything is welded together. I'm 70 and this is NOT fun.

T

turbodog

We are having the starter problem with our 2011 Big Red. My question is: how did you get to the starter? I'm a mechanic by trade and this has got me stumped. Everything is welded together. I'm 70 and this is NOT fun.

remove both seats
remove passenger seat frame, 3 bolts
remove center plastic, 6 phillips screws
remove passenger plastic, several phillips screws
(might have to use impact driver to remove some of these screws)

this will give you access to starter

(2) 10mm (I think) bolts hold starter on. I used a normal socket for the one nearest the passenger side of the utv. I used a crowfoot for the other one.

Get under the unit with your feet poking out the driver side and head under the passenger. Grasp starter with your left hand, wiggle, twist, and slide it forward.
(you can't get a good angle with your right hand. we did 2 of these and had MUCH better luck using our left hand)

Once out, remove the positive cable.
straighten the lug on the cable end. the new starter should have terminal in a different place than the old one...

Oil new o-ring.
Slide starter in
reinstall 2 bolts
connect positive wire... might be tight.

Should take about 30-45 mins.
Starter can take a while to wiggle out... depends on how dry the o-ring is.

M

madmech

Feb 4, 2016
Tennessee
remove both seats

(2) 10mm (I think) bolts hold starter on. I used a normal socket for the one nearest the passenger side of the utv. I used a crowfoot for the other one.

Get under the unit with your feet poking out the driver side and head under the passenger. Grasp starter with your left hand, wiggle, twist, and slide it forward.
(you can't get a good angle with your right hand. we did 2 of these and had MUCH better luck using our left hand)

straighten the lug on the cable end. the new starter should have terminal in a different place than the old one...

Oil new o-ring.
Slide starter in
reinstall 2 bolts

Not quite that easy on the 2011. I'd done all that and still couldn't reach it with my hand, left or right. Plus the bottom plate is welded and there is plastic sheathing everywhere. Ain't no way to reach that ---- starter from the top or from underneath. Blood pressure is sky high right now.

Reactions: bobbyhill
gnedinok

gnedinok

Oct 5, 2016
Wellston, OK
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Big Red
anyone tried one of the EMS Global starters listed on E-bay @104.99 + free shipping? Says they have sold 55 of them. They list the correct Honda #'s that it replaces. Just wondering, G

gnedinok

gnedinok

Oct 5, 2016
Wellston, OK
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Big Red
Just saw a review of the HL1-305 sold by Central FL Power sports on e-bay. Copied the review. Then I saw the same review on another Honda dealerships listing. Gotta wonder.
Junk

Broke first time out garbage armiture and brush setup its plastic.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think they changed them on the Pioneer because you never hear about people having problems with them. Since the two vehicles share essentially the same drivetrain, I wonder if the Pioneer starter can be adapted to the Big Red?

gnedinok

gnedinok

Oct 5, 2016
Wellston, OK
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Big Red
I think they changed them on the Pioneer because you never hear about people having problems with them. Since the two vehicles share essentially the same drivetrain, I wonder if the Pioneer starter can be adapted to the Big Red?
Will someone chime in on this question! Thanks, G

Reactions: Tflynn
K

KerXR75

May 21, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Big Red
remove both seats

Oil new o-ring.
Slide starter in
reinstall 2 bolts

Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought an '09 Big Red new in '10. Used mostly for hunting rig and some back woods riding until TN passed law allowing sxs on secondary low speed roads. Got mine tagged and necessary upgrades to meet laws and started putting miles on - that was in 2017. At 675 miles came in from a long night ride, pulled up to my garage, shut it off and would not restart.

After checking determined was starter. Called Honda dealer and was informed that was common prob with '09 to I believe '11. Magnets delammed from housing. They said Honda had in fact replaced several at no charge but that was several years ago. They checked with Honda and of course was told too old, no dice.

Checked Honda replacement, upgraded style, was gonna be $400! Tried to get rebuilt but was told couldn't re-attach magnets to housing.

Checked around and bought aftermarket starter for $150 and worked fine until I traded in on '17 Pioneer.

Long story, but my understanding is Honda was aware of bad starter design but I discovered it a few years too late.

My life's story.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!