BOX1

Big Red starters

B

bocar-3

Dec 28, 2013
My Big Red starts very sluggishly, like the starter is dragging. I even bought a new "Honda" trickle charger and a new battery at the dealers recommendation. Neither helped. Anybody have any ideas what's wrong? Almost impossible to start in cold weather until it is warmed up.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What year is your BR? Wondering how much the starter had been used. Have you thought about rebuilding it?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
bocar-3 said:
My Big Red starts very sluggishly, like the starter is dragging. I even bought a new "Honda" trickle charger and a new battery at the dealers recommendation. Neither helped. Anybody have any ideas what's wrong? Almost impossible to start in cold weather until it is warmed up.
Well...the starter could be bad.

Could be an iffy connection somewhere as well. How does the cable look? Maybe replace that just for giggles ( cheap at autozone, etc )

Starter draw tests used to be a common thing, but honestly, finding a spec might be impossible.

B

bocar-3

Dec 28, 2013
The BR was built in 2009 and I bought it new in 2011. So, the starter hasn't been used any more than literally 250 times since I've had it. We use this machine very sparingly in an agricultural application. Has had NO recreational riding and has always been garaged, always maintained properly, and always kept clean. I hate to bad mouth Honda on this but I do believe a one year warranty on this starter needs to be extended voluntarily, especially in lite of the fact that their has been an upgrade on the original starters by Honda. They are aware of starter problems. I have done nothing to this machine or the starter to create this condition, and it's certainly not from overuse, I'm 69 years old!!!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
bocar-3 said:
They are aware of starter problems...
If this is true, they may "goodwill" the starter even though the warranty is expired. Your dealer should go to bat for you. Maybe try another if they don't.

T

tztoolman

Feb 4, 2014
Carrollton,Ohio
Hi All, First post. Bocar, what did you find out? I just bought a 2009 in New York and I am having the same issue. Cant start it in the cold without some kind of boost and my battery tests perfect. Wont crank over very fast even after it is warmed up. Would like to hear some answer on this problem, local Honda dealer looks at me like im an idiot and says he never heard of this type of problem before.

F

farmer1234

Feb 9, 2014
i have the same thing with my 2009 big red, sluggish starting. tested for voltage drops and tested battery, tired different battery but still sluggish. when you boost start the battery and it will start good but with out it starter will lock up. any ideas out their it is driving me nuts.if a starter will fix the problem i will buy one . i removed starter disassembled and tested and clean and even still weak but the starter is original and i see it subs up.

T

tztoolman

Feb 4, 2014
Carrollton,Ohio
I am going to go to synthetic oil( probably mobil racing 4t 10w-40 or whatever its called) I expect some improvement from the oil, but after that I plan on replacing the battery with a small frame car battery with 4-500 cca. I am going to fab a welded cage-style battery box on the passenger side under the hood. I will be doing this in the next few weeks and will be able to answer these questions personally.

F

farmer1234

Feb 9, 2014
Their got to be another solution to this problem and Honda must know. I do not like to patch. what is the new ones doing ?

T

tztoolman

Feb 4, 2014
Carrollton,Ohio
I don't think it's a patch, I just think the battery and starter were wrong from the start. I believe they upgraded the starter in 2011 and solved the problem. Has anyone heard of the same problem on a 2011-2013?

F

farmer1234

Feb 9, 2014
if you look at part numbers 2009 to 2013 use same starter and battery, unless they shorted the battery cables, ? i do not know

T

tztoolman

Feb 4, 2014
Carrollton,Ohio
Just found out today that honda had 2 part numbers listed for 2009 for the starter. One was the current number and the other was a starter kit, being just an armature and brushes. Parts guy thought honda may have used 2 different manufacturers for starters and maybe one of them was a weak starter so they offered a stronger armature to replace the one in the weak starter. Who knows, sounds possible but just an assumption right now. Going to get him my vin number and he is going to do a search to see if a anything comes up on record. More later if I find anything.

F

farmer1234

Feb 9, 2014
I just call a local Honda dealer and they mention that the starter sub up but that is it and it is 615.00 (Canadian) but that is all they could tell me. I would like to find more from Honda but they will not give out information

T

tztoolman

Feb 4, 2014
Carrollton,Ohio
Update on the starter......Put in a larger battery(more cca) and haven't had any problems starting, although it still seemed to crank slower than I think it should have. had a few instances that the solenoid would just click but power was getting to the starter. This happened before and after the bigger battery but would come and go. Stuck like this the other day for good so I removed the starter. It was toast! All the magnets were broke in the outer housing and the whole thing was black inside. The starter was a Mitsuba 8M17 (marked on the back case) which I believe is Honda part# 31200-HL1-A01. New part # is 06311-HL1-305. Saw these on Ebay for $289 so I will order one today and let you know. Cant believe how bad the starter looked inside and was still working.

T

tztoolman

Feb 4, 2014
Carrollton,Ohio
Starter installed. Starts so fast its not funny. Batteries were never an issue, should have done this first.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
tztoolman said:
Starter installed. Starts so fast its not funny. Batteries were never an issue, should have done this first.
Glad you got it fixed. Now we know what to tell other members with this problem.

Seems everyone tends to think it is the battery, so they buy a new one only to find little improvement when really they need to buy a starter.

Thanks.

O

ohiogary

Jul 1, 2014
I have a 2012 Big Red, only used around our small farm, no mudding, very low hours, about 6 months ago I noticed the starter had a whinny noise when engaged, well yesterday it gave up, after taking it a part, the magnets were shattered, looked like something off of a 20 year old abused atv. After looking for a replacement starter, I noticed honda is using a different design, the lead stud is on the side instead of the rear of starter, should be a recall. 300.00 for new starter.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ohiogary said:
I have a 2012 Big Red, only used around our small farm, no mudding, very low hours, about 6 months ago I noticed the starter had a whinny noise when engaged, well yesterday it gave up, after taking it a part, the magnets were shattered, looked like something off of a 20 year old abused atv. After looking for a replacement starter, I noticed honda is using a different design, the lead stud is on the side instead of the rear of starter, should be a recall. 300.00 for new starter.
Welcome ohiogary,
Sorry a problem like this brings you here.
Researching, Yep. Looks like $300 is going to be the price.
Found $280 on ebay.
Found another for $270 but after 20 shipping puts it back at 290
Not sure if the Rincon will interchange. There not much cheaper anyways @ $230.
Thanks.

O

ohiogary

Jul 1, 2014
I called the customer rep at Honda, he stated there really has'nt been any issues with the starters , he knew of, no recall, with a very low mileage Honda, really turned me off. When you pay 11,000 for a muv, you kind of exspect better warranty and customer service,

F

farmer1234

Feb 9, 2014
well broke down and disassembled engine - replaced camshaft, camshaft chain and rebuilt cylinder head - starts ever time with out extra battery - the exhaust decompression was working but would hang on once and an while. but I have a fan issue, will not come on but if I ground out controller ground for relay for fan it works . my manual says it is the pdm - no thanks will leave grounded

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!