Big Red Transmission Slipping

S

shanesam

Jun 17, 2015
Hello from Alabama. I just purchased a 2009 Big Red. The transmission is slipping. The oil level is ok although I'm not sure when the last service was done. Is it possible that it just needs a service and can I use anything other than Honda oil?

S

shanesam

Jun 17, 2015
I've only had it a couple of weeks. The first couple of times it slipped a little when it was cold. After it warmed up it was fine. The last time it started slipping in the woods and continued till I got it back home. It would rev up and not move.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Change your oil first to be safe run motorcycle oil to help your clutch plates if there was energy conserving oil put it thats bad it put a lub on your plates and makes them slip!! Id run amsul oil first run it around see if its better then do another oil AND filter change of the same amsul to make sure u flushed it out yes it pricey but cheaper and easier then new clutch pack

Reactions: Tflynn
S

shanesam

Jun 17, 2015
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to change the oil and filter to see what kind of results I get. I will update after its done.

B

BULLDOG6

Jun 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hello from Alabama. I just purchased a 2009 Big Red. The transmission is slipping. The oil level is ok although I'm not sure when the last service was done. Is it possible that it just needs a service and can I use anything other than Honda oil?
Did the oil change help?

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
how could changing the oil help? unless wrong fluids were add previously! Id say if wrong oil got added at some point put some cheap oil in run it change it, do it again change it then put it to the test if it happened to fix it then drain cheap oil and put in good!!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
how could changing the oil help? unless wrong fluids were add previously! Id say if wrong oil got added at some point put some cheap oil in run it change it, do it again change it then put it to the test if it happened to fix it then drain cheap oil and put in good!!
if energy saving oil were used then the clutch plates will be coated with anti friction and will cause slipping cheap oil also causes slipping because of coating with cheap additives

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
ok then flush it with amsoil and spend 150 dollars to find out if that fixed it then replace clutches lol. Ok I see u just bought it! cheap oil isn't going to cause u a problem I know any people that use junk and never had problems in bikes in race situations and they change oil constantly!!! clutch hard to change on big red?

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I know any people that use junk and never had problems in bikes in race situations
my guess is they never won lol cheap oil will 100% effect the clutches period!!!!! they are wet clutches which means they are soaking in the oil

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Some of the best racers in the country bar none. Used in situations to to flush engines etc only in for a couple of passes then back to royal purple, brad penn, castol, etc all day long. We have used every oil on the market today, every additive etc, had it analyzed time and time again u name it we have done it. Ive been sponsored by royal purple, slick 50, in the past had the chance to talk to engineers etc. funny thing is when we were sponsored by those companies we would sell the oil and run Rotella witch used to be a good oil still not bad!!! U would be surprised what is behind it all. Oil is a lot simpler than u would think! Extremely important yes!! Just cause u read it on a forum doesn't mean it is true!!! We burn through motors any where from a hand full of passes to 200 passes all using clutch steels and fibers all brands and god knows how many sets a year!!! 5 to 7 motors a year in some of our pro mods believe what u want I think your big red will not explode if it doesn't have HONDA OIL lol bye the way u are going to need a new clutch wrong oil or not it don't take long at all to mess up those clutches once they start to slip!! good luck!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
excuse me!!!! read what on forums ive raced sence i could walk and im going to tell you the oil u run in a wet clutch situation is the most important thing you can do if your clutches cant handle the power put to them u DONT MOVE

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
fyi ive never once used "honda" oil or any other factory labled oils

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
how about mobil 1 u ever tried that?

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
mobile 1 4t is the only thing i put in my rides and mobile 1 10w30 in my trucks

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Then all u run is Honda oil because thats all Honda oil is (mobil 1 in a honda bottle) just like a million other companies do as well including the cheap ones! Exxon-Mobile was the main supplier for honda's oil as well as Ford Motor Company's bottled oil products under the brand name motorcraft (same oil) and thats the same for conventional and synthetic!!! Whats in the Honda bottle today? Not sure probably still mobil 1 but if it isn't we might not know it!!! One thing for sure based of years of experience it will be a decent oil!! It goes on and on.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!