P1000 blew out, one rear Fox Shock...?

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 1000-5 LE

hey folks,

Noticed the ride got "weird" and something felt odd from the rear... went to look at the suspension settings and my left rear adjustment is no longer holding the 3 click positions. The indicator simply spins from left to right with no resistance.

My right rear shock seems fine and still has the 3 positions holding in place.
I'm guessing the heavy loads have finally claimed their first victim.

My question to the community;
is it possible to buy just one shock?
Hard pill to swallow on purchasing (2) new rears, unless that is the only option.
Also welcome any advice on where to purchase from,

thank you!

Edit::
looking on eBay I see that I can get (2) new rears for just under $900

Last edited:
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 1000-5 LE

hey folks,

Noticed the ride got "weird" and something felt odd from the rear... went to look at the suspension settings and my left rear adjustment is no longer holding the 3 click positions. The indicator simply spins from left to right with no resistance.

My right rear shock seems fine and still has the 3 positions holding in place.
I'm guessing the heavy loads have finally claimed their first victim.

My question to the community;
is it possible to buy just one shock?
Hard pill to swallow on purchasing (2) new rears, unless that is the only option.
Also welcome any advice on where to purchase from,

thank you!

Edit::
looking on eBay I see that I can get (2) new rears for just under $900
I would contact Fox about having them rebuilt, if possible.

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
rebuilding does indeed seem like the proper path,
my challenge is that I'm deep in the mountains in south america.
can't even leave town cause of the covid restrictions.., but I can still receive shipments from just about anywhere.

not sure if have the mechanical skills to tackle a rebuild on my own, so a shipment of a new unit seems like the easy way out.

Edit;
actually its times like these that force us to learn...
maybe what I really need help with, is just finding a source where I can purchase a rebuild kit for these shocks

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would check that you didn't just blow the nitrogen out. They have s***ty charging valves that are prone to leakage. I put new and better valves in all 4 of mine. All 4 were extremely low on nitrogen. 2 were nearly empty.

I dont remember where we bought the valves @GlockMeister or @Ragnar406

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A rebuild is not as hard as it seems, if you can get the seals and parts the hardest part is getting the spring off. I think it’s the 5W blue Oil and you’ll need nitrogen.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you can't get nitrogen .... just fill it with air which is 78% nitrogen (if memory serves) anyway.

Reactions: Mudwing
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
rebuilding does indeed seem like the proper path,
my challenge is that I'm deep in the mountains in south america.
can't even leave town cause of the covid restrictions.., but I can still receive shipments from just about anywhere.

not sure if have the mechanical skills to tackle a rebuild on my own, so a shipment of a new unit seems like the easy way out.

Edit;
actually its times like these that force us to learn...
maybe what I really need help with, is just finding a source where I can purchase a rebuild kit for these shocks

you can do it!
not sure you will have a choice...

Good luck with the COVID restrictions. i have been waiting to go back to Colombia since March.
I work there a lot in an oil field between Bucaramanga and Barrancabermeja.

Reactions: Isaiah
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@ohanacreek , any advice on where to purchase the seals/parts for the rebuild?

@GlockMeister , thank you for the link to the end caps and now they are on "the list"

@JoeyL , yeah.... that's how I got in there to change that wire harness, out here you either do it, or it dont get done...
when things change and you come down, keep me in mind if you venture towards Medellin or Pereira.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am working with Weller racing right now they are a fox distributor they might be able to give you the parts you will need for the factory shock.

Fox themselves are really hard to deal with for repairs or parts they want you to send the shock to them to rebuild

Reactions: Isaiah and ch33br0h
H

Hostile1

Apr 8, 2020
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Since you need nitrogen to do a rebuild you should just try to refill it first. Rebuilds aren't hard but you can f*** things up if your not ontop of things.

Reactions: ToddACimer
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@ohanacreek , any advice on where to purchase the seals/parts for the rebuild?

@GlockMeister , thank you for the link to the end caps and now they are on "the list"

@JoeyL , yeah.... that's how I got in there to change that wire harness, out here you either do it, or it dont get done...
when things change and you come down, keep me in mind if you venture towards Medellin or Pereira.
I'd put a new cap on and charge it first. I can assure you that when the shock is too low on nitrogen the knob will not have any clicks. I tested that out on mine.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welp.... to close out this chapter.
Nitrogen is beyond my reach in the city and if not for the cover restrictions I could easily drive in to the city to get the nitro and/or maybe even find someone with the skills/tools to repair this one.

The caps shared by @GlockMeister seem like a perfect solution, but then I'm still faced with lack of tools, nitro and life is busy.....

Spoke to the dealer where I bought it and I believe him when he says they have not seen one fail, yet.
Very willing to help me out with it, but we are again hit with the travel restrictions... my only shot with them would be to remove the shock and ship it to him..- very possible, but then I'm with out my ride and no clue on turn around time.

I went back to eBay, got offered a 12% discount on the front page and just dropped the hammer.
Very tough pill to swallow, but now I will have one spare and one to later practice and learn with.
Also found a PDF with steps on how to change it, link here in case anyone else needs it later on.

Big thank you to the support here, its very much appreciated!

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cheers amigo

Tenga un buen fin de semana
Ef31fee9b95e7f8241ac21bd23916a60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nitrogen is beyond my reach in the city and if not for the cover restrictions I could easily drive in to the city to get the nitro and/or maybe even find someone with the skills/tools to repair this one.

The caps shared by @GlockMeister seem like a perfect solution, but then I'm still faced with lack of tools, nitro and life is busy.....

Spoke to the dealer where I bought it and I believe him when he says they have not seen one fail, yet.
Very willing to help me out with it, but we are again hit with the travel restrictions... my only shot with them would be to remove the shock and ship it to him..- very possible, but then I'm with out my ride and no clue on turn around time.

I went back to eBay, got offered a 12% discount on the front page and just dropped the hammer.
Very tough pill to swallow, but now I will have one spare and one to later practice and learn with.
Also found a PDF with steps on how to change it, link here in case anyone else needs it later on.

I wish it would have gone better for you. Hard for me to grasp your situation in Columbia but heck i don't even understand the situation here some days. Glad you at least got the problem resolved.
Cheers!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Must SUCK big time to live somewhere that restrict travel, I know it would for me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!