Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Damn Honda and their stupid little filter that's such a pita to get at and can lead to these types of catastrophes anyway. :rolleyes:

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you the worse thing to do is to put the filter in backwards. My father in law had his oil changed by a rather incompetent person on his foreman and some how they got it in the wrong way. Needless to say top end ran a little short of oil and it's been sitting in the barn for a year. The oem honda filter has it stamped on it which way to put it in, but the Napa filter is just plain. Don't do this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I can tell you the worse thing to do is to put the filter in backwards. My father in law had his oil changed by a rather incompetent person on his foreman and some how they got it in the wrong way. Needless to say top end ran a little short of oil and it's been sitting in the barn for a year. The oem honda filter has it stamped on it which way to put it in, but the Napa filter is just plain. Don't do this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
That just really sucks, and...............is impossible to do with a spin on filter! ;)

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I changed the oil in my foreman I gave it try to see if you could put it in backwards. Its not the easiest thing to do but not impossible. Doing a little google search there has been a few people have done it and the results are not very good.

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Okay, thanks. Gonna take a long hard look tonight and weigh my options and attack it Saturday!! Looking for all advice something I may not have thought of. You bring up a good point reference the frame member looks like their is plenty of room once the tank is removed? But I'll re inspect it tonight. Including pictures. Thanks.
So how did it go? Get it out? All good?

Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I have used a right angle compact drill, with a left hand drill bit that i cut off realy short. You can cut more than half the drill bit off and still get it to bite with the chuck. Seems a little extreme to have to buy a tool just to do this but know if your drill bit wanders just a little bit and starts to drift into the aluminum block than you will have to get a helicoil kit to. I have had pretty good luck with that combo doing exhaust manifold bolts on super dutys

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Thanks. Did that and came to realize that you cannot drill a stainless steal bolt out of aluminum!! I'm now reduced to removing the gas tank!! I'm posting pictures tomorrow to try and help the next guy from all the headache!! Thanks again!!

Reactions: rocmar
Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
So how did it go? Get it out? All good?
Hey, sorry I'm just getting back with you busy week!! Anyway got some people way smarter than me to look at it and tomorrow we are going to remove the gas tank to make it easier to access. I'll take pictures and post them.
Wish me luck!!

Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Damn Honda and their stupid little filter that's such a pita to get at and can lead to these types of catastrophes anyway. :rolleyes:

Yes sir you are correct!! Tomorrow I have to pull the gas tank and make the attempt to tap it out then..... Damn Honda!!!

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sorry about the troubles Petie! Those small bolts really can't handle much torque. I've been dealing with them for years on other Honda ATV's. I just evenly torque each one down slowly until you feel the resistance, and just a touch more. I always use 1/4" drive sockets for this type of stuff. Anything bigger it's hard to control. Either that or a torque wrench.

Also, as mentioned about the oil filter being put in backwards, I can't tell you how many people I know who have accidentally done this. I double check myself every time on that. I really wish Honda would just go with a spin on filter, and save everyone a lot of trouble.

Good luck on extracting the broken bolt!

Reactions: JCart and Hondasxs
T

TN8S

Jan 5, 2017
Hollywood, SC
Ownership

1. 500
Damned Honda bolts and screws! Just like when I had to take the battery box off to attach the leads from my winch, it seems Honda welds fasteners in certain places. Had to cut off the top bolt to the battery box just to get it off plus buy a new box and cover. Used my own bolts to secure. More of a pain are the screws on the dust cover that are under the passenger seat. The cover must be removed in order to get to the oil filter area. Three of them stripped with out any effort and had to use a drill then a grinder to remove. All this work added and extra hour to a simple oil change. I would also suggest removing the rear skid plate so you won't have an oily mess between the skid plate and motor. Good luck but Honda, C'MON MAN..................don't tighten your screws and bolts so hard!

Reactions: trigger and rocmar
advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Damned Honda bolts and screws! Just like when I had to take the battery box off to attach the leads from my winch, it seems Honda welds fasteners in certain places. Had to cut off the top bolt to the battery box just to get it off plus buy a new box and cover. Used my own bolts to secure. More of a pain are the screws on the dust cover that are under the passenger seat. The cover must be removed in order to get to the oil filter area. Three of them stripped with out any effort and had to use a drill then a grinder to remove. All this work added and extra hour to a simple oil change. I would also suggest removing the rear skid plate so you won't have an oily mess between the skid plate and motor. Good luck but Honda, C'MON MAN..................don't tighten your screws and bolts so hard!

They do that...IMO
...to discourage those who do
it themselves. ..I agree...
C'MON MAN.....

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I had read before doing mine that those screws were tight so I was expecting it. Made sure I had a good bite and sufficient amount of ass behind it and got them out, but they were tight. Recently had to take the other panel out under the drivers seat, there are three screws on that side as well, and they were even tighter. I'm all about making fasteners tight but then there are those that you just say DAMN, REALLY!?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!