P500 Broken oil filter cover bolt

Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Hello everyone my name is John (nickname Petie). I found your site last prepared to preform my first oil change, and the post was perfect!! Thanks Paula!! Okay here's the problem.... I completed the oil change and upon replacing the three bolts that secure the oil filter cover I snapped off on of the bolt heads (the bottom one to be exact!! Now I'm pretty sure I can remove the broken bolt by tapping it out but my question is, I do not have room between the bolt hole to get a bit and a hammer in there to punch it, much less a drill. Has anyone removed the gas tank to fix this problem, or is their a better way that I don't see?!?! Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Hey Petie. Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your broken bolt. First oil change, huh? That's a new ride then, I take it.

Can you get the filter cover off if you remove the other 8mm two bolts? If so, a good vice grip might clamp on to whatever threaded part is left sticking out.

Try and catch the oil in a clean pan, and salvage as much as possible.

If you can get the filter cover off, then maybe drill the center of the bolt shaft then grab an "Ease out" and reverse it out. Being this is a new ride and oil has probably got the threads lubed to some degree, I predict you success rate to be pretty high.

Good luck.
And here's a "like" for your first post!

J

Jshell3

These tools have saved my butt on a couple of occasions with my P500.

If you still have your oil jug. Cut it like this and slide it under your Pioneer to catch whatever oil you can!

Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Petie. Welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your broken bolt. First oil change, huh? That's a new ride then, I take it.

Can you get the filter cover off if you remove the other 8mm two bolts? If so, a good vice grip might clamp on to whatever threaded part is left sticking out.

Try and catch the oil in a clean pan, and salvage as much as possible.

If you can get the filter cover off, then maybe drill the center of the bolt shaft then grab an "Ease out" and reverse it out. Being this is a new ride and oil has probably got the threads lubed to some degree, I predict you success rate to be pretty high.

Good luck.
And here's a "like" for your first post!

Hey!! Thanks for the fast response. Yes I was able to remove the oil cover and did retrieve most of the oil. The problem is space!! Can't get a drill, punch or ease out down there with the space provided, unless I take the gas tank out. Looks fairly simple but not sure if its harder than it looks. And yes I attempted to use the broken bolt to try and grab it to back out. Thanks, your on the same track as me!!

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could also try plugging the oil filter hole with a rag, placing a nut over the broken bolt and tacking with a welder. Then back it out with a wrench. Assuming you have a welder.

J

Jshell3

Hey!! Thanks for the fast response. Yes I was able to remove the oil cover and did retrieve most of the oil. The problem is space!! Can't get a drill, punch or ease out down there with the space provided, unless I take the gas tank out. Looks fairly simple but not sure if its harder than it looks. And yes I attempted to use the broken bolt to try and grab it to back out. Thanks, your on the same track as me!!
You're right about the space!
I didn't think about that, but I suppose drilling IS out of the question.
Any thread at all sticking out?
If you could post a pic, that would help!

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

Oh, and I'm digging the blue in your avatar! @Petie
You buy your P500 from Brookhaven Honda?

I see a Honda cargo and Aftermarket wheels and tires.
Looks good!

Last edited by a moderator:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sorry to hear of your trouble but you are not the first. There might be some useful information in the other thread. I think one consensus was the torque values in the book are wrong so just snug them when you put them back in.
P500 - P500 Oil Change Problem

J

Jshell3

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble but you are not the first. There might be some useful information in the other thread. I think one consensus was the torque values in the book are wrong so just snug them when you put them back in.
P500 - P500 Oil Change Problem
Man, I just read that entire thread.
Cringe. :confused:
I'm going to buy 3 new bolts... I have a tendency to overtighten anyways.

Thanks for linking that!

@Petie , from what I gathered reading the link post by tj, the fuel tank will have to come off.

Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
You're right about the space!
I didn't think about that, but I suppose drilling IS out of the question.
Any thread at all sticking out?
If you could post a pic, that would help!

Good morning. Sorry had to go last night, kids homework. I can post a picture this morning. I'm going to pick up a new bolt today. I guess my o ring seal and everything else is still re useable?? Guess I'm pulling the tank, if I can't figure anything else out.

advertisement
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good morning. Sorry had to go last night, kids homework. I can post a picture this morning. I'm going to pick up a new bolt today. I guess my o ring seal and everything else is still re useable?? Guess I'm pulling the tank, if I can't figure anything else out.
Don't be too discouraged. I sent you a private message with a link to a little more of crookedcreeks dilemma on the other forum. It really didn't turn out too bad so don't get to down on it. Like you said the access is the biggest pain. But I think even changing the oil is pain and kind of tight on the 500. I wish you luck and let us know how it goes. I'm a machinist by trade so I've done a little bolt repair myself. I've learned to start with simple things and then move to bigger equipment if needs be. You might try super gluing something to the end but becareful not to glue the bolt in. I've also found left hand drill bits work very well but slow and steady wins the race. Some times you can just punch them with a center punch and use the left hand bit turned in you hand.

Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
You could also try plugging the oil filter hole with a rag, placing a nut over the broken bolt and tacking with a welder. Then back it out with a wrench. Assuming you have a welder.

Good morning sir. Thanks for the advice. However I don't not have access to a welder. Got a tight fit I'm fighting probably will have to remove the gas tank. Thanks again.

Reactions: GlockMeister
Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
Hello everyone my name is John (nickname Petie). I found your site last prepared to preform my first oil change, and the post was perfect!! Thanks Paula!! Okay here's the problem.... I completed the oil change and upon replacing the three bolts that secure the oil filter cover I snapped off on of the bolt heads (the bottom one to be exact!! Now I'm pretty sure I can remove the broken bolt by tapping it out but my question is, I do not have room between the bolt hole to get a bit and a hammer in there to punch it, much less a drill. Has anyone removed the gas tank to fix this problem, or is their a better way that I don't see?!?! Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Meant Pauly!! Dang spell check!!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked through crookeds post on the other site and his was the same lower bolt. It sounds like even without the tank there is limited access. It talks about the frame member being in the way for even a drill so he had a little small tool to get around it. Might be able to do it without the tank removal then. Either way it would probably be good to replace all 3 bolts and just "snug" them.

Petie

Petie

Dec 31, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I looked through crookeds post on the other site and his was the same lower bolt. It sounds like even without the tank there is limited access. It talks about the frame member being in the way for even a drill so he had a little small tool to get around it. Might be able to do it without the tank removal then. Either way it would probably be good to replace all 3 bolts and just "snug" them.

Okay, thanks. Gonna take a long hard look tonight and weigh my options and attack it Saturday!! Looking for all advice something I may not have thought of. You bring up a good point reference the frame member looks like their is plenty of room once the tank is removed? But I'll re inspect it tonight. Including pictures. Thanks.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know crooked kind of made his a little dramatic but in the long run I don't think it was too bad. Hopefully you can find something in his posts that might help you. Just take a look because taking the tank off might not help much??. I'll be waiting for the pic of you back up and riding.

D

Deleted member 3748

Your o-rings are reusable, but I have torn them with each oil change. I keep a few on the shelf now because they're cheap and I know I'm going to tear them again. Not so much the little one, but the big one.

Reactions: rocmar
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Flexible drill bit?

Capture

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have used a right angle compact drill, with a left hand drill bit that i cut off realy short. You can cut more than half the drill bit off and still get it to bite with the chuck. Seems a little extreme to have to buy a tool just to do this but know if your drill bit wanders just a little bit and starts to drift into the aluminum block than you will have to get a helicoil kit to. I have had pretty good luck with that combo doing exhaust manifold bolts on super dutys

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Ive used RIDGID screw extractors with success, would think it may work in this situation as the bolt is pretty soft material. Kit looks like this Model 10 Screw Extractor Set | RIDGID Professional Tools

Just make sure you use the appropriate size, as the extractor pin is tempered and if you twist that off in the bolt that will add to the frustration significantly. Like the right angle drill with short bit idea. Have had great success with heli-coils too.

j

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!