P500 P500/P520 Oil Filter Quick Access

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Hey All!

I don’t know if there is already a post in here like this; I combed, but did not find anything.

Today was my first attempt at servicing my new P520. I hit the 100 mile mark when i was out last weekend so I made it a point to wash it up and prime it for service. Everything was pretty straight forward between the videos and owners manual until it came to the oil filter. What a pain. Really, have to remove all those little plastic clamps and what not? So i decided to cut into the bottom panel; similar to the opening that is under the driver seat to access the dip stick.

Took my trusty router; routed out a whole wide enough to get my hand in there (can actually get both ands in there with some special articulation); created a cover with some spare styrofoam and called it a day. So next time, I should have to remove all those little clips and what not. Plus i can now clean better on that end. And if you are wandering what the hole is in my styrofoam cover, its to accommodate the seat support.

03545716 0044 4AE1 8757 28E3436AC397 86781EA3 6BD5 4B8B 8481 D892EE9E1E63 BA1DA839 B6C3 41E5 B716 50540369F3A4 5FF6C0D8 8D1F 4A39 A944 362F1CBB23FF

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Great job, I like it!

Reactions: Mudder
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah it’s on here somewhere. But definitely a solid upgrade to the oil change experience.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey All!

I don’t know if there is already a post in here like this; I combed, but did not find anything.

Today was my first attempt at servicing my new P520. I hit the 100 mile mark when i was out last weekend so I made it a point to wash it up and prime it for service. Everything was pretty straight forward between the videos and owners manual until it came to the oil filter. What a pain. Really, have to remove all those little plastic clamps and what not? So i decided to cut into the bottom panel; similar to the opening that is under the driver seat to access the dip stick.

Took my trusty router; routed out a whole wide enough to get my hand in there (can actually get both ands in there with some special articulation); created a cover with some spare styrofoam and called it a day. So next time, I should have to remove all those little clips and what not. Plus i can now clean better on that end. And if you are wandering what the hole is in my styrofoam cover, its to accommodate the seat support.

View attachment 270516 View attachment 270517 View attachment 270518 View attachment 270519
Maybe one day honda gives us a spin on filter that’s on all the rest....🤔

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Its good to see it also works on the P520.

Reactions: Bigtee
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey All!

View attachment 270516 View attachment 270517 View attachment 270518 View attachment 270519
That is f***ing brilliant!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Mudder and trigger
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
One of the best ideas for sure over the years. Alongside the @trigger shield. Thanks guys.
Yep. People keep giving me credit for it, but I actually saw someone else do it...on here I think. They must have moved on.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
There was another thread on the idea. Your router cut is cleaner than the original thread.

I have the removal tool for the little connectors so it’s only a pia so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There was another thread on the idea. Your router cut is cleaner than the original thread.

I have the removal tool for the little connectors so it’s only a pia so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. That other one just looked terrible.

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
need all the room honda gives without the floor, so wacked it back over the tank with a jig saw and wide out to the upright plastic piece molded in. cant see it under the rubber flap i put over it and the seat over that. oil change is just like the floor is not there. great mod!!!

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
need all the room honda gives without the floor, so wacked it back over the tank with a jig saw and wide out to the upright plastic piece molded in. cant see it under the rubber flap i put over it and the seat over that. change is just like the floor is not there. great mod!!!

Pics?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!