DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
After pulling screws and pushpins repeatedly every time the oil needed to be changed, I decided I'd had enough and did what Honda failed to, and cut an access hole under the seat:

20190404 200924 jpg

Might go back and add a flap later, but for now, all I gotta do is just reach down and remove the filter.

If you try this, I suggest you remove the panel, as the gas tank is very close to the bottom.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
After pulling screws and pushpins repeatedly every time the oil needed to be changed, I decided I'd had enough and did what Honda failed to, and cut an access hole under the seat:

View attachment 121868

Might go back and add a flap later, but for now, all I gotta do is just reach down and remove the filter.

If you try this, I suggest you remove the panel, as the gas tank is very close to the bottom.
I thought the 500 was bad changing oil, A Can am Maverick trail is worse

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada

View attachment 121868

Changed my oil this evening, and did this mod first. Put the plastic back on and changed the filter through the new hole, no problems at all. Thanks for a GREAT IDEA!!!

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks. I was looking for a oil filter, didn’t realize there was a plate above it. Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Last edited:
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I imagine engine noise to cab, engine heat to cab, might be a little increased with this mod...but it's obviously worth it or folks wouldn't be doing it. Yes, seems like Honda could easily add an access port/door right there. Good thinking.

Reactions: Smitty335
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
@Mudder Just read your post re: the TT on the other thread. Glad y'all are safe man! Scary stuff.

Also, what are the dimensions of that cut-out? Wondering if a 4-5" holesaw would clear brackets/bracing. Maybe use a toilet flange and a fernco cap to make a little hand-hole....

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Mudder Just read your post re: the TT on the other thread. Glad y'all are safe man! Scary stuff.

Also, what are the dimensions of that cut-out? Wondering if a 4-5" holesaw would clear brackets/bracing. Maybe use a toilet flange and a fernco cap to make a little hand-hole....
This was 4 x 4.5. Allowed removal of filter housing and arm to tighten bolts. Maybe 4 in would work.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I imagine engine noise to cab, engine heat to cab, might be a little increased with this mod...but it's obviously worth it or folks wouldn't be doing it. Yes, seems like Honda could easily add an access port/door right there. Good thinking.
No problem with Trigger shield, extra flap for water splashes to protect ECM. Always keep some extra push pins around.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Or, Honda could move into the modern world and provide a spin on filter....🙄

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for all the kudos...but I will reiterate again that I cannot take credit for this ideal. Someone else posted having done this somewhere back in the dusty Hondasxs archives.

Reactions: Mudder and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!