P500 P520 Oil Leak

Bad Company

Bad Company

Supporting Member
Mar 19, 2021
Wartburg, Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Anyone else got a oil leak on their P520? I kept smelling oil from time to time, not out of exhaust but like oil running down on a hot engine or something. I did my 600 mile service yesterday. I pressure washed the machine real good before doing the service. While doing the service, I was looking for an oil leak. I finally found it, it's directly under the air box. It's where a wiring harness comes out of the side cover of the engine. I think it's the rubber grommet around the wires seeping some oil. I guess I'll be taking it to the dealer to get it fixed. It wasn't low on oil, but was below full on the dipstick. I'm afraid if I don't take it in, it'll only get worse.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I don't have any pics, it's in a hard to see spot. I will try to get some tomorrow. I could remove the air box and see it much better.
Cool! Try and do that. Might be something easy stupid to fix we can help you with so u don't have to go through the dealer hassle.
why we like pics. They say a thousand words

Reactions: Jerryg
Bad Company

Bad Company

Supporting Member
Mar 19, 2021
Wartburg, Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here are a few pics.

20211221 115041 20211221 115226 20211221 115238

• Sad
Reactions: Jerryg
Bad Company

Bad Company

Supporting Member
Mar 19, 2021
Wartburg, Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm pretty sure it's coming from where I circled.

20211221 115226

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ouch.
That spot is common on some of atv's to leak. Usually not quite this bad in such a short time.

I'd defiantly speak to the dealer about it. Looks like the stator output. Which is not too bad of a job.

The guy who applies the Hondabond was off the day yours was made. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Bad Company

Bad Company

Supporting Member
Mar 19, 2021
Wartburg, Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ouch.
That spot is common on some of atv's to leak. Usually not quite this bad in such a short time.

I'd defiantly speak to the dealer about it. Looks like the stator output. Which is not too bad of a job.

The guy who applies the Hondabond was off the day yours was made. Lol.

I told my son that it must've been built on Friday. I'm just curious if anyone else is having this problem...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep. Common like @hondersxs said.

My 700 leaked a smidge there as well. Enough to stick dirt. I took some good rtv and went around sort of filling the gaps under the edge under the lips of the grommet and got it stopped without pulling the stator/flywheel cover. Mine was not nearly as bad as yours, though.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep. Common like @hondersxs said.

My 700 leaked a smidge there as well. Enough to stick dirt. I took some good rtv and went around sort of filling the gaps under the edge under the lips of the grommet and got it stopped without pulling the stator/flywheel cover. Mine was not nearly as bad as yours, though.
If you had a older 500. This is what I would suggest as well.

But your is under warranty.

Bad Company

Bad Company

Supporting Member
Mar 19, 2021
Wartburg, Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is that a Chrysler motor in those pics?? 😀
futzin, no it isn't. But you're very close, it's an AMC Eagle engine. Had one of those once. At the service station you'd fill'er up with oil and check the gas... lol

• Haha
Reactions: futzin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!