P500 Buggy Shelter

J

jeff246

Nov 5, 2017
ME
Ownership

1. 500
I live on a lake where space is tight and any structure put up has to be portable. I did some measuring and got a Bike Barn Trike model that fits the pioneer well. It won't quite fit the plow but will still work just fine. Much easier than pulling a cover over as you can open it one handed. It's made in Canada and is supposed to do just fine in the snow. We'll see!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@uconn411 , this seems like a decent option for your snow/windshield question. Nice P500 @jeff246 , thanks for posting this find.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I live on a lake where space is tight and any structure put up has to be portable. I did some measuring and got a Bike Barn Trike model that fits the pioneer well. It won't quite fit the plow but will still work just fine. Much easier than pulling a cover over as you can open it one handed. It's made in Canada and is supposed to do just fine in the snow. We'll see!

Love it, wonder if it’s trailerable. Does it have a way along the bottom to strap it down?

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I thought I was finished hemorrhaging money until I saw this. They are shipping for free and there won't be any custom broker fees. At $450(US) {$600CDN} this may be one of the cheaper items I have bought.

Has anyone other than Jeff246 seen one of these?
Does anybody see any obvious flaws or negative aspects to these?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Does anybody see any obvious flaws or negative aspects to these?
Where I live rats/mice would find it too appealing to make a home. I have to keep it open under a shed roof with the hood off and the seat out lol.

Reactions: 100Acre and tomcj2
J

jeff246

Nov 5, 2017
ME
Ownership

1. 500
I did not see anything about being able to trailer it. There is a metal frame around the bottom that can be strapped down. It seems well made and is nice material. There are vents at the top that can Velcro up top. There are only a few inches to spare height wise. You do have to pull forward bit when warming up as the cab gets some exhaust smell, or pull in nose first. It looks like it will get snow tested this year as we get our 3rd storm of the year tomorrow.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I did not see anything about being able to trailer it. There is a metal frame around the bottom that can be strapped down. It seems well made and is nice material. There are vents at the top that can Velcro up top. There are only a few inches to spare height wise. You do have to pull forward bit when warming up as the cab gets some exhaust smell, or pull in nose first. It looks like it will get snow tested this year as we get our 3rd storm of the year tomorrow.
Thanks for the feed back. Do you have a link for it? Keep us posted on how it holds up to snow and other elements. Thanks

tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
jeff246,
I am looking at the assembly instructions (http://www.thebikebarn.net/pdf/bb_instructions_trike_barn0409.pdf ) and there are a lot of bits and pieces involved. I certainly will not be looking forward to spending a couple of hours outside in the snow putting it together.

Do you think it can be partially assembled in my living room and then moving it outside to put the cover on it? I am hoping that I can not install Tube "L" so that it folds flat to move through my front door and then finish the assembly outside.
Is my plan possible and practicable?

J

jeff246

Nov 5, 2017
ME
Ownership

1. 500
You should be able to, just make sure it will fit out your door first lol.
I did it with a helper, my wife, and we did not kill each other, and was done from start to finish in just over an hour. I laid everything out first so I didn't have to fish for nuts and bolts.

tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Well, I bought one. It arrived within a week and I paid exactly what my American friends did (after currency exchange). I assembled the steel frame by myself in our living room, pulled the cross bars apart and carried the two halves outside where my wife helped me put the fabric on. Total time about 2.5 hours. They have made a few changes since the instructions were written but no problems were encountered.
I wouldn't trailer it; the testimonials mentioned its withstood a 30+ mph wind with gusts to 70. I don't think it would withstand a 65 mph trip.
Time will tell how it holds up this winter.

tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
After the first winter I am very pleased with the Bike Barn. We had more than 11 feet of snow. I kept it brushed off but a couple of times I was away and the snow and ice built up to more than 6 inches deep I was amazed that it had not collapsed. It must have had well over 100 lbs. on it.

I clean my gravel drive with a plough on the P500. The plough is set a little above the surface to minimize damage. By the end of the season the drive was about 6 inches above the “floor” of the Bike Barn resulting in steep ramp to cross when leaving or parking. Next winter I will hand shovel an area in front of it to smooth out this transition.

The only drawback is the interior clearance. The front bar barely clears the hard top when I close it. The Bike Barn will not close when the plough is attached and snow drifted in reducing the clearance. If I put 26” tires on the P500 may not clear; if that is the case I will put pressure treated 4x4’s under it.

In summary it is a great product, not nearly as convenient as a garage but much better and easier than leaving it out or tarping it.

(They are offering free shipping until 4/21/19,Bike Barn - Easter Sale | Motorcycle Covers | Motorcycle Shelter | Bike Shelter | Enclosed Motorcycle Cover)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
After the first winter I am very pleased with the Bike Barn. We had more than 11 feet of snow. I kept it brushed off but a couple of times I was away and the snow and ice built up to more than 6 inches deep I was amazed that it had not collapsed. It must have had well over 100 lbs. on it.

I clean my gravel drive with a plough on the P500. The plough is set a little above the surface to minimize damage. By the end of the season the drive was about 6 inches above the “floor” of the Bike Barn resulting in steep ramp to cross when leaving or parking. Next winter I will hand shovel an area in front of it to smooth out this transition.

The only drawback is the interior clearance. The front bar barely clears the hard top when I close it. The Bike Barn will not close when the plough is attached and snow drifted in reducing the clearance. If I put 26” tires on the P500 may not clear; if that is the case I will put pressure treated 4x4’s under it.

In summary it is a great product, not nearly as convenient as a garage but much better and easier than leaving it out or tarping it.

(They are offering free shipping until 4/21/19,Bike Barn - Easter Sale | Motorcycle Covers | Motorcycle Shelter | Bike Shelter | Enclosed Motorcycle Cover)
That’s good news. So then will you fold it up and store it until next winter??

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
N0, I'll use it all summer to keep rain, dust, mosquitoes, black flies, and neighbourhood children off it.
Oh I see. What type of fabric is it?

tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Oh I see. What type of fabric is it?
According to their site:
The Bike Barn tent is made from 100% polyester fabric engineered for outside use. The fabric has an exterior coating of water repellant to bead off water and an under coat of polyurethane to prevent water from seeping through. All seams are sewn with a marine grade thread that you may see light through on a dry day. The thread is designed to instantly expand to fill the hole in the presence of water preventing leaks.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
According to their site:
The Bike Barn tent is made from 100% polyester fabric engineered for outside use. The fabric has an exterior coating of water repellant to bead off water and an under coat of polyurethane to prevent water from seeping through. All seams are sewn with a marine grade thread that you may see light through on a dry day. The thread is designed to instantly expand to fill the hole in the presence of water preventing leaks.
Cool, you may want to wash it annually and after it’s thoroughly dry apply Scotch Guard or a variant thereof. :cool:

tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
They even give cleaning instructions:

So for cleaning your Bike Barn cover we recommend:
- One gallon warm water
- One cap full of bleach
- 2 tablespoons of TSP - (the stuff in laundry detergent)

Rub it on to the cover with a damp cloth or light bristle brush (only rub lightly regardless). Let it sit for a couple of minutes then rinse off. The solution will kill the mold/fungus etc. Put a little clean solution and let it dry on for a lasting effect.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They even give cleaning instructions:

So for cleaning your Bike Barn cover we recommend:
- One gallon warm water
- One cap full of bleach
- 2 tablespoons of TSP - (the stuff in laundry detergent)

Rub it on to the cover with a damp cloth or light bristle brush (only rub lightly regardless). Let it sit for a couple of minutes then rinse off. The solution will kill the mold/fungus etc. Put a little clean solution and let it dry on for a lasting effect.
That’s great, do all that and I’m sure you’ll get years of service out of it... :cool:

tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
They suggest :
There are many tents still in use from the first Bike Barns 6 plus years ago. We estimate a reasonable tent life to be 5 years in a harsh environment such as Florida coast. Replacement covers are available.
This is NOT my Barn, but I have seen more snow on mine, it was just too damn cold to take my own photograph.
Snowcover

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!