100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My synthetic winch line broke a few weeks ago and I never got around to fixing it. I'm concerned that shipping may shut down soon and was wondering if I could just tie a knot in the two pieces to fix it. Any suggestions?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My synthetic winch line broke a few weeks ago and I never got around to fixing it. I'm concerned that shipping may shut down soon and was wondering if I could just tie a knot in the two pieces to fix it. Any suggestions?
Grab your FID and lace in a new hook. Unless you lost too much.
Mine breaks during plow season, I just keep tying it to the plow, end of season I tie a new hook into it, or depending on how much I lost I replace it.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I replace my winch line pretty much every year. I usually make the old ones into winch extension lines or save them for plowing. I also carry a new line with me all the time
I carry a brand new one too. After I broke my first synthetic rope I bought two new amsteel ropes; one to put on the winch and the other in a drybag in the door. I'm going to replace the current one with the backup as soon as I get another spare in.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Good point, synthetic winch ropes are only about $20.00, I think I'll grab a spare too!

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Another thing that will extend the life of the rope is to take the rope off the winch and then replace it backwards to what it was. Most of us don't use the whole length of the rope. Odds are the bottom 1/2 or 2/3 of the rope has never been off the winch, or if it has rarely. That means you have basically new rope on the back half of your winch. Turn it around and double the life of the rope.

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another thing that will extend the life of the rope is to take the rope off the winch and then replace it backwards to what it was. Most of us don't use the whole length of the rope. Odds are the bottom 1/2 or 2/3 of the rope has never been off the winch, or if it has rarely. That means you have basically new rope on the back half of your winch. Turn it around and double the life of the rope.

I disagree, most of the time I use or need a snatch block for recovery. Usually I wrap the first 20-30ft around my bumper and spool the rest out for recovery. I wouldn't want a shorter line and I've contemplated getting a 75ft line and just wrapping the extra around the bumper for when I need it

Swampdog

Swampdog

Lifetime Member
Mar 19, 2020
Forgotten Coast, FL
Ownership

1. 500
There is a YouTube video by a young guy in Australia or NZ who demonstrates how to "splice" synthetic winch rope. The rope is hollow so he pushes one broke end into the the other broke end about 12 ft. or so and then stitches both ends together.
As the rope is tightened down they lock together.
When I was a child there was a toy called "finger cuff" or something, made in Japan (1950's) of woven straw -like material.
You put one finger in one end, and one finger from your other hand in the other end. As you tried to pull your fingers apart the woven tube would tighten down and lock your fingers together.
Anyhow, that's the same principal as the synthetic winch rope splice.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!