Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
We we're told back when the reveal in Vegas happened, that they were stacked in the warehouse waiting to ship. But I've come to believe that was lie, unless they just grossly underestimated the amount dealers would order. But that's typical Honda, hype something up and hold it hostage once it hits the ground.

But but but they made a big deal about first units production runs started January 16th press releases and all. Somebody's nutz are loose.

I guess you could have 2 units stacked in a warehouse on November 27th and it not be a lie.
Screenshot 20190131 165345 Chrome

J

JTW

We got our order confirmation today, from April to July we'll be getting 9.

Not 9 of each model/color but 9 total. We ordered 18, WTF Honda.

Incase you guys might a little confused, we're only gonna get 9 Talons for 4 months!!
f***ing dumb.... between the recalls, the lawsuits and the lack of product. It’s really hard to want to stand behind Honda these days!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree... I’ve done it with my truck and this PK5... first two “new” things I’ve ever bought and I’ve had more stupid issues than anything I’ve ever purchased before.
I’d be nervous myself. Never was with Honda but after the 1000 fell into that category...
You see it all the time for the first new model, look at a dependability chart amongst cars and trucks, it’s usually evident when the new model year hit.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’d be nervous myself. Never was with Honda but after the 1000 fell into that category...
You see it all the time for the first new model, look at a dependability chart amongst cars and trucks, it’s usually evident when the new model year hit.
Good point! I will wait for the third year of production before I would even look at buying a Talon and by then I'll probably have a RZR RS-1 1000.

J

JTW

Yes.. and the fact that they only want those limited units out there in the beginning tells me they don’t fully trust their own product!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes.. and the fact that they only want those limited units out there in the beginning tells me they don’t fully trust their own product!
YEP! EXACTLY!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My Pioneer 1000 is frame number 24 and so far I had to change a shift cable and one exhaust mount rubber a bit before 12,000 miles. $30.00 in parts. I'm at 17,500 and some miles now. It runs like new in every way. I'm getting a Talon R asap plus I'm too old to wait on anything.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My Pioneer 1000 is frame number 24 and so far I had to change a shift cable and one exhaust mount rubber a bit before 12,000 miles. $30.00 in parts. I'm at 17,500 and some miles now. It runs like new in every way. I'm getting a Talon R asap plus I'm too old to wait on anything.
Glad you had such good luck Bob

H

HondaTech

For whatever reason Honda is always amazed when a highly anticipated model gets a ton of orders.

Take the Monkey for instance, when my GM said he could sell 40 of them, our sales rep thought he was crazy. We've sold the 3 we've gotten, 1 of them sold the day after it hit the floor. I believe if we had 10 of them, they wouldn't last very long. I understand they don't want to over extend their facilities or have product sitting around collecting dust. But come on, your first sport UTV that people have been crying for and your surprised the amount of orders that were submitted? Please.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You may have got last one on Friday before a Holiday. :0

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Love my new one;)

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

For whatever reason Honda is always amazed when a highly anticipated model gets a ton of orders.

Take the Monkey for instance, when my GM said he could sell 40 of them, our sales rep thought he was crazy. We've sold the 3 we've gotten, 1 of them sold the day after it hit the floor. I believe if we had 10 of them, they wouldn't last very long. I understand they don't want to over extend their facilities or have product sitting around collecting dust. But come on, your first sport UTV that people have been crying for and your surprised the amount of orders that were submitted? Please.
Exactly!

Reactions: Smitty335 and BWAF

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s business, they’re going to release just enough to keep the demand as high as possible in order to realize a full margin until they’ve recovered enough costs to pare down the margin and start making up the difference in parts.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It’s business, they’re going to release just enough to keep the demand as high as possible in order to realize a full margin until they’ve recovered enough costs to pare down the margin and start making up the difference in parts.
Well that will take ten years at this rate. HA!

H

HondaTech

Honda told us orders exceeded planned production by 2100 units.

We're getting a Red R and X the first week of April, then a couple weeks later a Blue X. Then nothing till the end of May, that's when the first Green R shows up.

So looks like we wont be breaking any sales records.

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Honda told us orders exceeded planned production by 2100 units.

We're getting a Red R and X the first week of April, then a couple weeks later a Blue X. Then nothing till the end of May, that's when the first Green R shows up.

So looks like we wont be breaking any sales records.

I have an early reservation but am having 2nd thoughts now. It really doesn’t look like Honda is serious about competing. The limited production could reduce aftermarket parts availability and if I was a dealer I wouldn’t order many accessories. I’m also uneasy about the gearing vs tire sizes. Just as 32’s and larger are trending Honda comes out with 28’s and the comment that “you can run 30’s”.
Seriously, you have to wonder what they are thinking?

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have an early reservation but am having 2nd thoughts now. It really doesn’t look like Honda is serious about competing. The limited production could reduce aftermarket parts availability and if I was a dealer I wouldn’t order many accessories. I’m also uneasy about the gearing vs tire sizes. Just as 32’s and larger are trending Honda comes out with 28’s and the comment that “you can run 30’s”.
I'm not sure why 32's are considered trending.. Driving in trails that limit width would eliminate the use huge tires.. I would say Honda wants people to keep them stock (tire and suspension) to get the full enjoyment out of the vehicle.But then again.. I see no use in Portals either... If you want to drive in deep water, get a boat, not a SXS... Just my opinion.

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm not sure why 32's are considered trending.. Driving in trails that limit width would eliminate the use huge tires.. I would say Honda wants people to keep them stock (tire and suspension) to get the full enjoyment out of the vehicle.But then again.. I see no use in Portals either... If you want to drive in deep water, get a boat, not a SXS... Just my opinion.
32"s are taller not wider. Like it or not the Talon is competing with the other leaders like Polaris. Taller tires equal more ground clearance and smooth terrain as they bridge rocks or gaps better. Several factory models come with 32's and many people upgrade to them. If you want to compare the Talon to other Honda SxS's fine but that wasn't Honda's goal. I have a very nice Polaris XP1K and that's my comparison and reference point.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
After driving several Pioneers with larger tires and finally pulling the trigger for ourselves I can understand the want for larger tires. I think the gearing will be plenty for larger tires given the low range. It’ll be a little lighter then the 1000 with a little lower gear so it’ll probably hold out ok. Curious to see how the dct holds the the added power, that might be only concern with oversized.
IMO it’ll take the aftermarket world a little bit. Honda has been very slow to gain acceptance however this being a sport should help speed that up. I’m sure Honda will run this platform for awhile, everyone knows Honda has been slow to change so that’ll aid the decision to build aftermarket, meaning those parts will be bought longer then some so that’s a good thing. Parts will come.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!