Multi Carrying extra fuel can kill you. If you have a Polaris?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I keep seeing "preaching", as it were, on RZR forums here in AZ about NOT carrying extra fuel in the bed.

Am I wrong in thinking that fuel paks/etc have become the whipping boy since popo seems to have blamed the flaming RZR problems on them?

I bought my Koplin fuel pak...gosh...10 years ago. It has about 15k trail miles on it between the old foreman and 3 pioneers. In that time, it has leaked exactly ZERO ounces of gas. Ironic, since the koplins supposedly had the leak issues (false) the rotopax didn't. It will swell up with temp (a good indicator that's its NOT leaking), but never leaks.
I DO keep the spout up and on the side away from the exhaust...just in case, but I'm not the least bit worried about it. Much more worried about parking in tall grass.

Seems like this has become patsy for some bulls*** engineering to me.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If a high quality fuel container is carried, properly secured, in the bed or otherwise securely attached to the machine I would think it is probably pretty safe.

Does DOT or other agency test and approved portable fuel containers?

I suppose an auxiliary tank could be punctured or break loose in an accident but otherwise it seems low risk.

H

HondaTech

I found the issue with Polaris fires a few years ago. We had a 4 door 800 Ranger in on trade that had a noise in the engine. Which turned out to be a common enough issue that the dealer we contacted had engine assemblies in stock.

Under the rear seat with heat barrier on the bottom were melted injector connectors and spark plug boots that were arcing to the head. The fuel line was capped on one end instead of terminating at the injector.

What a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My buddy has a 19' RZR Turbo S. First trip out the turbo was so hot it started to melt the plastic air box right next to it 🤦‍♂️
Dealer told him those units are made to be kept over 25 mph.......and never ever get into any water deep enough to wet the turbo.......... 💣💥 😂😂😂

Talk about a ticking bomb, I don't know if y'all ever been to FL but...............our trails have a little bit of water 😂😂😂

SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
With the Polaris’s it’s also the location. They were selling an oem extra mount for rotopax cans held right above the engine behind your heads essentially and with super rough riding the pax would split and drip fuel onto the hottest part of the engine. Have seen in person two of them burn. Luckily no injuries. I can’t imagine putting fuel all over a hot pioneer bed doesn’t end badly. But I also couldn’t I am gone running my pioneer fast enough to crack a pax in half lol. You’d die first. That being said I don’t carry extra fuel at this point. Maybe one day when I do one of these overland adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I think there is another aspect to this.
On some RZRs the drain holes in the bed are too close to the exhaust underneath the bed.
If there is a leak the fuel runs off on to stuff that is hot.
This may not be all RZRs, and I don't know if this was changed at some point.
But, if you have a leak from a fuel can it could be bad, very bad.

Trusting a fuel can manufacturer to make a first rate product is not a good idea.
Some companies I'm sure do all the testing before releasing a product.
But, in the US we use a 'self certification ' method.
The government recognises a standard and it is up the manufacturer or importer to make sure the product meets the spec.
Enfocment only happens after the fact, when someone's family hires a lawyer to force the issue.
So look for a reputable company that has been around for a while (mainly skip the Harbour Freight or Dollar General cans).

I use NATO cans, imported by preppers who think plastic is the devil (and have no issue with a product little changed from what Hitler produced for the nazi army).
They are not CARB nor DOT complaint.
But the design has withstood the test of time being used by solders who probably would have rather been doing somthing else than lugging full Jerry cans.

Also, if you Google "CPSC RZR fire" you will see that Polaris has had many recalls for many diffrent reasons.
There is no singular thing I could put a finger that would explain there poor reputation.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had fuel leaking all over exhaust manifolds and engines boiling and evaporating it immediately, screaming hot engines, fuel just doesn't ignite because it hits something hot. Same as Hollywood bs flicking a cig in gas lighting it. that don't work it has to be a open spark. rzrs catch fire because there cheap built garbage nothin more. I'm not saying gas isn't highly flammable but popo always seems to find fault in everything but there pos machines.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I keep seeing "preaching", as it were, on RZR forums here in AZ about NOT carrying extra fuel in the bed.

Am I wrong in thinking that fuel paks/etc have become the whipping boy since popo seems to have blamed the flaming RZR problems on them?

I bought my Koplin fuel pak...gosh...10 years ago. It has about 15k trail miles on it between the old foreman and 3 pioneers. In that time, it has leaked exactly ZERO ounces of gas. Ironic, since the koplins supposedly had the leak issues (false) the rotopax didn't. It will swell up with temp (a good indicator that's its NOT leaking), but never leaks.
I DO keep the spout up and on the side away from the exhaust...just in case, but I'm not the least bit worried about it. Much more worried about parking in tall grass.

Seems like this has become patsy for some bulls*** engineering to me.

Rotopax has 2 different grades of fuel containers. I use the original which is the heavier of the 2. I know for a fact that you can drop on on the freeway at 70 mph and the damn thing doesn’t leak of break, only road rash. I’ll bet you could drop on from 50 ft and it would be intact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Rotopax has 2 different grades of fuel containers. I use the original which is the heavier of the 2. I know for a fact that you can drop on on the freeway at 70 mph and the damn thing doesn’t leak of break, only road rash. I’ll bet you could drop on from 50 ft and it would be intact.

My fuel pak is very thick. Easily as think as most gas tanks. Ive considered just going to a small gas can can for space, but I'd bet on the Koplin to stay together in a roll over.

And there is simply no way you can ride hard enough to make it split while mounted. If RZR guys are doing that, then maybe Koplin needs to fire production back up, since the rotopax must be flimsy.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My fuel pak is very thick. Easily as think as most gas tanks. Ive considered just going to a small gas can can for space, but I'd bet on the Koplin to stay together in a roll over.

And there is simply no way you can ride hard enough to make it split while mounted. If RZR guys are doing that, then maybe Koplin needs to fire production back up, since the rotopax must be flimsy.

I’ll guarantee you the Rotopax isn’t flimsy. I would thrust it more the the old GI or NATO or steel cans. Haven’t seen another plastic can anywhere as this kid or durable as the original Rotopax. Rotopax is what most all of the off-road racers are using these days. Then beat them way harder than any of us utv riders do except the idiots that choose to do really stupid s***.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!