BOX1

P500 Carrying your long gun

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
How are people carrying their long gun on P500s and P520s? I'm mostly interested in options for carrying my deer rifle in the enclosed cab. By enclosed, I mean hard roof, windshield and soft rear panel.

A

Avi8or

Nov 6, 2019
Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I use a Big Sky single. I keep a 22 lever in it for critter gittin. It does slide around around a little since the rifle is so thin.

Reactions: Rick53 and wvupsc
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
great day ovhd works for rifles with barrels 22", if longer the muzzle sticks out a little (works with doors on). However most of the time i just put in passenger side and seat belt it to keep it from bouncing all over the place.

Reactions: wvupsc
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I use the great day overhead it’s very nice but with the width of the roof you are limited to a short rifle. I actually have my rack mounted between the top bars not below them for more headroom. I use a 30/30 or a 300BO with a 16” barrel so no problems with it fitting between the bars.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I use the great day overhead it’s very nice but with the width of the roof you are limited to a short rifle. I actually have my rack mounted between the top bars not below them for more headroom. I use a 30/30 or a 300BO with a 16” barrel so no problems with it fitting between the bars.
That gets to my problem... my 30-06 is too long to fit between the overhead bars. If I get something that mounts just below the bars, I'm concerned I will crack my head on it. The better Koplin gun holders pivot in several places such that you can mount them to the overhead bars but the gun is below the bars...even tho it might stick out a bit on either side.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I considered a soft scabbard (TrailMax) mounted diagonally on rear of cage but decided it prolly wouldn't work well with my rear panel.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Short rig like a Ruger American Ranch (say with 16” barrel in 6.5 Grendel 😁) will fit in cab with muzzle on the floor resting on the seat, think that’ll work. Now if I could only find one here in Canada.....

Reactions: Swampdog and wvupsc
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Cabela's 2 gun atv case right behind the cab is pretty hard to beat.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Cabela's 2 gun atv case right behind the cab is pretty hard to beat.
I've been considering one of those. Does it fit on the inside, above the headrests? Or does it have to go on the outside? Not sure how it will work with the rear panel and roof if it's on the outside. And will the roof dump a stream of water on it when it rains?

Swampdog

Swampdog

Lifetime Member
Mar 19, 2020
Forgotten Coast, FL
Ownership

1. 500
I mounted a Kolpin Gun Boot and bracket to my Hornet Outdoors rear-cargo rack, it works well for my rifle with a 22" barrel.

7 pt buck on rear rack

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I've been considering one of those. Does it fit on the inside, above the headrests? Or does it have to go on the outside? Not sure how it will work with the rear panel and roof if it's on the outside. And will the roof dump a stream of water on it when it rains?
Doesn't work in the cab. Too big and would hit your head. The bags have a rain fly that can be used. I have a soft rear window (Tusk) and if I expect rain just route it over the bags. Not a big deal. Snow isn't an issue and I've stopped worrying about snow on them.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I might try the Cabela's case and route the rear (Honda) soft panel over it. I looked at the straps and I think there is enough play in them to make it work. I suspect I would only have it on the ATV during the week of deer rifle season when I'm actually hunting. The case would double as my normal rifle case for transporting it to and from the hunting property.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I might try the Cabela's case and route the rear (Honda) soft panel over it. I looked at the straps and I think there is enough play in them to make it work. I suspect I would only have it on the ATV during the week of deer rifle season when I'm actually hunting. The case would double as my normal rifle case for transporting it to and from the hunting property.
That should work well. Remember to lube the zippers once in a while.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!