Change cv boot

Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Noticed the other day after riding I appear to have a cv boot leaking on the front passenger side. See attached picture.

I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to auto repairs but am certainly no expert. I’ve seen a couple of videos of cv boot repairs and I believe I can get the job done after some sweat, tears, beers, and a few choice words.

Real question is what am I not seeing in these videos? Also, how fragile are these oe axles? Does it make sense to put beefier axles on the front instead of trying to replace boot?

We ride in North AL and it’s pretty rocky.
F29B5F38 545F 4F23 84B8 BE1E949BA7D5

Reactions: Isaiah and TxDoc
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Noticed the other day after riding I appear to have a cv boot leaking on the front passenger side. See attached picture.

I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to auto repairs but am certainly no expert. I’ve seen a couple of videos of cv boot repairs and I believe I can get the job done after some sweat, tears, beers, and a few choice words.

Real question is what am I not seeing in these videos? Also, how fragile are these oe axles? Does it make sense to put beefier axles on the front instead of trying to replace boot?

We ride in North AL and it’s pretty rocky. View attachment 264788
What machine??

Reactions: Isaiah
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

We ride in North AL and it’s pretty rocky. View attachment 264788
They are decent Axles. I would just replace the boot and run it till they quit!

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pulled one of mine and replaced. Just washed out the joint and bearings with pressure cleaner parts wash. Re-lubed with supplied grease, bought a cheap boot snap ring tool and replaced. Not bad..

Reactions: Isaiah
Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the update. I’m hoping to tackle mine this weekend. It doesn’t look to bad.

D

DDDonkey

Boot are pretty easy, you can buy a cheap banding tool and take you time. All you need is the banding tool, brass punch and hammer for tools.

Reactions: Bama-Daniel

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!