P700 Chattering in rear dif braking downhill

P

Pioneer500

Jan 12, 2017
Dayton, Nv.
Ownership

1. 500
Can someone tell me why there is significant rear differential chatter when going downhill while braking. It sounds like the dif is coming apart. I run Amsoil full synthetic differential fluid and I service it regularly. It been doing that since day one brand new. It still runs great but very annoying. Thank you

Reactions: Isaiah
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine does that to but I think the noise is the transmission! It sounds very similar as when down shifting to a stop, I think!

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don’t notice. But with the straight cut gears it can get a little noisy. Check your fluid level and make sure it’s clear. How many miles are you at?😀

Reactions: Backwoods
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have wondered whether or not the gears were straight cut? That would explain what I hear. My 2004 Goldwing was noisy too and for that same reason!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Because the braking is sent through the differential and axles, all with some slop. Along with the previously mentioned straight cut gears.
Breaking sets up a slip/grip cycle that causes all those tiny amounts of play to rattle.
It's loud and annoying, but "they all do it".

If you have a 4x4 quad, you can usually run it in 4x4 mode and hammer the rear brake and get the same type of noise from the front diff, though not nearly as loud.

BHarris8753

BHarris8753

Jan 18, 2020
Robbins, NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
That noise has drove me crazy since i bought mine new, the dealer said it was normal but its still annoying lol

D

dbelanger24

Feb 27, 2019
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Same issue here, searching the forum for an answer other than "it's normal"
Just got back from a 150 mile trip and man was it loud. Sounded like the rear end was coming apart on me, to the point I would let off the brake and down shift before I dared to continue breaking. I noticed the noise on mine seems to have gotten a lot worse over time. Then again this was only the 3rd long riding trip I've taken it on other than general farm use so maybe I've never given it quite the conditions I gave it this weekend.

H

HondaTech

The Rincon has always been the same way.
The driveshaft brake stops the input on the diff faster then the ring and axles can react, the backlash in the diff is the chattering. The original Rincons (2003-2007ish) had "floating" rotors that quelled it a bit. But the rotors got loose easy and made for pulsing/weak brakes, so Honda switched to solid mount rotors.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
BHarris8753

BHarris8753

Jan 18, 2020
Robbins, NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ive noticed a lot of noise from the bed latch as well, my machine is a 2018 400ish miles and the paint has worn off where the latch meets the tab on the bed that locks it down and it squeaks like crazy while im riding. I put grease on it to see if it would stop and it did for a couple rides then it was back. Ive thought about putting electrical tape on it for a temporary fix, any other ideas?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!