Chopping the cage

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Have a fab buddy that is coming over this weekend to take a look at chopping my cage. I have a P1000-5 but took the back cage off. Was wanting to get some info/pictures of how others were done or before and after pictures. Have seen some 4" and 6" chops just not sure which direction to go. Would like to here some of yalls insight.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Here's mine I think post 68 it starts. It explains why I did the amounts I did. Definitely can go more or less I'm just over 6ft and there is still plenty of room. Also if you more on front it dumps the water from factory roof and keeps sun from your eyes. It's worked out well
P1000 - 4 big changes this weekend

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Here's mine I think post 68 it starts. It explains why I did the amounts I did. Definitely can go more or less I'm just over 6ft and there is still plenty of room. Also if you more on front it dumps the water from factory roof and keeps sun from your eyes. It's worked out well
P1000 - 4 big changes this weekend
If it's in the thread you sent no need to explain. I'll just look for it when I get by a computer later.

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah that looks great! Do you have any pictures of the way you cut it or could you explain. Did you go 4 or 6 inches down. You might have it in the thread but I just glanced over it quick.

Yes everything is right there. 4.5 front 5.5 mid and rear. At that distance 1 7/8 has to be added over between front and mid posts to align right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
6.5 here. Followed CP's build thread

IMG 20161228 114737115 HDR

advertisement
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With taking 6.5 did you have to move your speakers more inboard for more head room. Do they interfere with your sight out the rear view mirror at all. How tall are you mopar?
The speakers came after so no. The visibility out the back is crap because of the low roof in the rear and my crappy mirror, the speakers don't seem to bother me and I'm 5'10 and have a football worth of headroom yet.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is something I'm going to do also. The rediculous height on these rigs make zero sense for so many reasons.

Reactions: pct and sharp
Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
CP and Mopar. Just trying to understand this correctly in a nut shell. If I were going to go the 6.5" route, I would take 6.5 of the front 2 corners and 7.5 off the rear corners? I do not have the back rack on my sxs I only have the cab cage on. CP I also seen where you took some out of the tap roof area of the cage what was this for? Sorry not much of a fab guy so just trying to get the jest so I can explain it to my buddy. I'm sure he can figure it out himself but just in case I need to do some explaining.

I'm probably making this more difficult then it is... lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP and Mopar. Just trying to understand this correctly in a nut shell. If I were going to go the 6.5" route, I would take 6.5 of the front 2 corners and 7.5 off the rear corners? I do not have the back rack on my sxs I only have the cab cage on. CP I also seen where you took some out of the tap roof area of the cage what was this for? Sorry not much of a fab guy so just trying to get the jest so I can explain it to my buddy. I'm sure he can figure it out himself but just in case I need to do some explaining.

I'm probably making this more difficult then it is... lol

Well there's different ways of doing same thing. I prefer more from the front because that's what's going into the wind rain and bushes so I went more there but on the front posts to still allow good headroom. It also releases water that gets trapped on factory roof panel.
I didn't take away that section I added to it. Since the cage isn't square on top when you cut it down the upper footprint increases if that makes sense. Even with short cage it still does. If you want the posts at the same angle as factory and I'd suggest that then as you cutroof down the upper gets larger and needs a spacer. If you go through the pics you'll see it above driver and passenger heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 7962
Ok here's a pic ( exaggerated some ) but it shows what I'm talking about. The upper line let's say is factory roofline and the lower is where its being cut too. The lower line is obviously longer because it's further down the angled post so that means the roof "grows" and that's where I put in my extra piece.

Reactions: pct
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 29859 Ok here's a pic ( exaggerated some ) but it shows what I'm talking about. The upper line let's say is factory roofline and the lower is where its being cut too. The lower line is obviously longer because it's further down the angled post so that means the roof "grows" and that's where I put in my extra piece.
the factory roof still fits but gets repositioning at the front

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
jump over to the chop top club thread a lot of good info there I took 4" out front and back and had to add 1 3/8" to the top bar
I havent cut the back part yet it has never been back on since I took it off

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!