BRed Clacking noise under rear

N

NedsBigRed

Nov 14, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Big Red
I have a clacking noise underneath of big red. I thought it was the CV boot area so I took apart the left and right rear CV axles. The boots are ripped but other than that everything else looks great. As I turn the wheel to either the left or to the right there is a loud ticking or clacking noise that continues the whole time it’s moving. Any suggestions from anyone with a think this might be this is a 2012 big red and V700 side-by-side 4 x 4.

H

HondaTech

If the boots are ripped, most likely debris has gotten into the joint and its popping when turning. You could try cleaning and greasing them with new boots. But their most likely going to need to he replaced.

You could also remove the axles and drive it in 4wd ro see if the noise is still present.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
If the boots are ripped, most likely debris has gotten into the joint and its popping when turning. You could try cleaning and greasing them with new boots. But their most likely going to need to he replaced.

You could also remove the axles and drive it in 4wd ro see if the noise is still present.

What he said.

N

NedsBigRed

Nov 14, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Big Red
I already had the rear end part and it looked fine.The ring, pinion and spider gears all look fine. they all mesh good. I ordered new CV joints left and right for the rear hopefully that’ll fix the problem. Didn’t know about shims on the ring gear

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
H

HondaTech

Yeah, that does pose a problem, lol.

Without hearing the noise it would be hard to directly determine the cause. But with the symptoms you described it sounds like damaged axles.

Reactions: Smitty335
L

levykm

Oct 25, 2019
Knoxville, TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
If it's happening during braking it could be a worn out propeller shaft and bearings. Happened to mine.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!