P1000 Class action lawsuit

Trapper77

Trapper77

Dec 18, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like that mechanic should be first on your list of "people to subpoena". Hopefully he has the balls to tell the truth in court.
Couple things. I don’t think anyone wants to loose their job or dealership is kinda what i got out of it. It’s a family business. And I tried at least ten times to get Honda to explain it to me and all I got was a one liner that says water intrusion and everything else is confidential. I can’t talk to the rep or anything. Seriously. If they would give me anything in writing stating water caused this my insurance said they would write a check the same day. But they have policies and mechanical failure is not covered. Confidential is obviously a loop hole that they’ve learned.

Trapper77

Trapper77

Dec 18, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And I know that nut does me no good, they could say anything they could even say I did it. But I just wanted to share, cause the way Honda is treating a customer covering everything up like this should at the very least be put out there for the world to see.

J

JTW

I hate hearing these stories... you see side by sides being used as submarines and you can’t help but not blame Honda for taking this kind of stance on water issues BUT at the same time they need to stand behind their product. With the heat, water and clutch “fixes” it seems like they’re trying. But it sounds like it’s a rep issue. I would think things like this would fall to the rep to pursuade or inform Honda. The dealer and rep should really be going to bat for you if it’s all legitimate.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Confidential is obviously a loop hole that they’ve learned.
I meant to share this earlier...
I had an issue with a 2001 Rubicon that came down to the dealer not addressing some warranty work they should have done that ultimately led to much bigger issues. A long story we don't need to get into..but it had to do with a machine that had something bent in the front end, and continually pulled to the right until i ultimately traded it off...but...

In the series of calls to Honda CS that followed (nearly $100 worth in those days), my initial contact was a guy who seemed genuinely concerned and attempted to help where he could, but ultimately...on the final call, i was handed over to the "cleaner" guy above him, whose job is to get you to never call back.
At that point i had put the machine on an alignment rack and knew that something was amiss, and gave him hard numbers which he simply shrugged off (having ZERO ideal what i was talking about) and then insinuated that i had mettled with the machine, which really pissed an already pissed customer off. I ask him for the specs for front caster, which is typically in the FSM or widely available, but curiously missing for the Rubicon's specs...at least in my FSM.

He told me told me it was "proprietary information". "So...whatever you need it to be on a given day?" was my reply. This guy was obviously quite young and became even more snarky as the conversation went on, but he was out classed in the asshole wars on this day, and ultimately hung up on me. But at that point, when i was handed over to him, i knew that honda wasn't going to do jack s*** without prodding from an attorney, which I didn't have the means to do.

Proprietary information.
Confendital.
Both Honda speak that is the equivalent of your parents saying "because i said so".

If you can, make 'em pay!

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I meant to share this earlier...
I had an issue with a 2001 Rubicon that came down to the dealer not addressing some warranty work they should have done that ultimately led to much bigger issues. A long story we don't need to get into..but it had to do with a machine that had something bent in the front end, and continually pulled to the right until i ultimately traded it off...but...

In the series of calls to Honda CS that followed (nearly $100 worth in those days), my initial contact was a guy who seemed genuinely concerned and attempted to help where he could, but ultimately...on the final call, i was handed over to the "cleaner" guy above him, whose job is to get you to never call back.
At that point i had put the machine on an alignment rack and knew that something was amiss, and gave him hard numbers which he simply shrugged off (having ZERO ideal what i was talking about) and then insinuated that i had mettled with the machine, which really pissed an already pissed customer off. I ask him for the specs for front caster, which is typically in the FSM or widely available, but curiously missing for the Rubicon's specs...at least in my FSM.

He told me told me it was "proprietary information". "So...whatever you need it to be on a given day?" was my reply. This guy was obviously quite young and became even more snarky as the conversation went on, but he was out classed in the asshole wars on this day, and ultimately hung up on me. But at that point, when i was handed over to him, i knew that honda wasn't going to do jack s*** without prodding from an attorney, which I didn't have the means to do.

Proprietary information.
Confendital.
Both Honda speak that is the equivalent of your parents saying "because i said so".

If you can, make 'em pay!

We were never given alignment info, ever. Nothing, Honda doesn't publish those specs not even to it's dealers. The FSM you got ( if it came from Helm) is the exact thing we would've gotten shipped straight from Honda.

I honestly don't think they have those specs themselves. I know they publish toe and that's about it.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
We were never given alignment info, ever. Nothing, Honda doesn't publish those specs not even to it's dealers. The FSM you got ( if it came from Helm) is the exact thing we would've gotten shipped straight from Honda.

I honestly don't think they have those specs themselves. I know they publish toe and that's about it.
That's because it's proprietary info.

Reactions: Hondasxs
Trapper77

Trapper77

Dec 18, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's because it's proprietary info.
That’s like the government saying confidential. Soon as that word comes out it’s over and your done talking. As for the rep deal I agree. But if I gather all all the parts and take it somewhere else couple hours away where there’s a different rep there’s so many outcomes it’s hardly worth my time. First I could see them saying I tampered with parts etc. In the end I’m sure my name is blacklisted with Honda anyways.

Reactions: JTW
Trapper77

Trapper77

Dec 18, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

How does a company manufacture products that ARE going to get damaged and fixed with no oem specs to put it back together correctly. I mean that’s why you have full coverage on a financed machine, cause if it’s all messed up and you can’t afford to fix it the bank wants a perfect product back to try and recoup their money. If lending companies knew that they didn’t have oem specs they might not even loan on them.

Reactions: JTW
H

HondaTech

How does a company manufacture products that ARE going to get damaged and fixed with no oem specs to put it back together correctly. I mean that’s why you have full coverage on a financed machine, cause if it’s all messed up and you can’t afford to fix it the bank wants a perfect product back to try and recoup their money. If lending companies knew that they didn’t have oem specs they might not even loan on them.

How man shops have an alignment rack for atvs? None thay i know of, most of the time if it's that bad out of shape, insurance will just replace the frame or total the unit. The time it would cost to rack an Atv would outweigh the value. Add that to the fact there aren't any caster, or camber adjustments then you figure out why they don't need to post specs.

Maybe in this utv world they'll make alignment adjustments possible wirh caster and camber adjusters. But no one has yet, so there's no real way to adjust anything. If it's bent you just have eyeball it or replace parts.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
How man shops have an alignment rack for atvs?
That's true, but it makes the instructions of Honda CS to find a dealer with "alignment equipment" all the more interesting. Simple Mobile alignment machines are available now for under $1000. Don't know what existed back then.

I was thinking I had Honda FSM's with some specs, but I guess it was other machines.

Reactions: MSmillie
H

HondaTech

That's true, but it makes the instructions of Honda CS to find a dealer with "alignment equipment" all the more interesting. Simple Mobile alignment machines are available now for under $1000. Don't know what existed back then.

I was thinking I had Honda FSM's with some specs, but I guess it was other machines.

No Honda FSM has any alignment info at all, except Toe, atleast not for the last 10 years that I've been doing this. There's no way align something that doesn't have any kind of adjustment, other than the rods. You can't adjust camber if there's no camber adjustment.

I will admit some CS reps know less than the guy changinf your oil. Trust me I've talked to a few that have from Honda. So I apologize for their comment of finding a dealer with that equipment, because tour not going to. Any dealer that finda a bent frame on an Atv or SXS is probably just going to replace it. There's too much liability to bend it back.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
No Honda FSM has any alignment info at all, except Toe, atleast not for the last 10 years that I've been doing this. There's no way align something that doesn't have any kind of adjustment, other than the rods. You can't adjust camber if there's no camber adjustment.

I will admit some CS reps know less than the guy changinf your oil. Trust me I've talked to a few that have from Honda. So I apologize for their comment of finding a dealer with that equipment, because tour not going to. Any dealer that finda a bent frame on an Atv or SXS is probably just going to replace it. There's too much liability to bend it back.
No need to apologize. It was all just circle jerk with Honda making me the pivot man. Nothing short of an attorney was going to get anything done anyway. By all rights I should have dropped Honda right there, but didn't.

All it did was ruin the absolute best ATV I've ever owned...

T

Tribill

Jan 5, 2018
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Happy til something breaks and you paid extra for a warranty that they will not stand behind. I was happy to til I tried using it. There’s guys on here I just have to find them.

I had 600 miles on my 10003 and totaled it. The connection boot from the air intake was not properly secured from the factory and was told that water had gotten into the engine and hydrolocked it. It was only a couple months out of the Honda warranty, I had the extended warranty, but it did not matter. I've dealt with two reps, tried dealing with Honda directly, my dealer, and the extended warranty company with no success.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I had 600 miles on my 10003 and totaled it. The connection boot from the air intake was not properly secured from the factory and was told that water had gotten into the engine and hydrolocked it. It was only a couple months out of the Honda warranty, I had the extended warranty, but it did not matter. I've dealt with two reps, tried dealing with Honda directly, my dealer, and the extended warranty company with no success.
Honda will take a stand against water no matter how it enters unfortunately. I’m sorry that happened to you.
I had found that intake hose loose on my previous rig, brought it up amongst some and there were a couple other loose hoses.
That needs to be checked along with the whole intake system. A simple hand over the front intake won’t necessarily catch it either because the massive vacuum from doing that can pull the hoses together tight

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda will take a stand against water no matter how it enters unfortunately. I’m sorry that happened to you.
I had found that intake hose loose on my previous rig, brought it up amongst some and there were a couple other loose hoses.
That needs to be checked along with the whole intake system. A simple hand over the front intake won’t necessarily catch it either because the massive vacuum from doing that can pull the hoses together tight

Three of the clamps on the intake were loose on mine. The clamps on the rad hoses under the floor were able to be spun by hand. How they weren’t leaking I have no idea, I am surprised they hadn’t blown off.

You should really check a machine over if you’re even considering riding it harder than around the yard.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Three of the clamps on the intake were loose on mine. The clamps on the rad hoses under the floor were able to be spun by hand. How they weren’t leaking I have no idea, I am surprised they hadn’t blown off.

You should really check a machine over if you’re even considering riding it harder than around the yard.
You shouldn’t have to on a new machine especially a Honda but I will now agree

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow! Every dirt bike I ever owned at one time or the other ended up resting on the seat and handle bars with plug removed, pumped the water out, wring out air filter and go riding. Trail side???????

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You shouldn’t have to on a new machine especially a Honda but I will now agree
All I can do is laugh about these problems. It's the only way I can keep from doing something that would send me to jail. I've kept quiet a couple months but now I've found out I have to do a brake job and muffler replacement at every oil change. Unbelievably horrible quality on my machine. I know others have had better luck but mine is a lemon. It hurts, guys.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All I can do is laugh about these problems. It's the only way I can keep from doing something that would send me to jail. I've kept quiet a couple months but now I've found out I have to do a brake job and muffler replacement at every oil change. Unbelievably horrible quality on my machine. I know others have had better luck but mine is a lemon. It hurts, guys.
And "bumper to bumper" extended warranty? Only covers stuff that never breaks!!!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Muffler replacement?

Reactions: 0860silverado

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!