Clicking noise in the rear

R

RIckMoJO

Dec 20, 2020
Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, I’m new to this, and nee to a 2017 Honda pioneer 1000-5. I bought it someone and it only had 460 km on or 277miles. I have put about 150 miles on it now and there’s a loud clicking coming from the rear on the drivers side near the wheel. Everything seems tight, and I’m having a hard time believing it could be an axel. Any advice for troubleshooting or what you guys think it could be? Thanks

Reactions: TripleB and TxDoc
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey guys, I’m new to this, and nee to a 2017 Honda pioneer 1000-5. I bought it someone and it only had 460 km on or 277miles. I have put about 150 miles on it now and there’s a loud clicking coming from the rear on the drivers side near the wheel. Everything seems tight, and I’m having a hard time believing it could be an axel. Any advice for troubleshooting or what you guys think it could be? Thanks
Bet it's the axel. Pull the axel and check it.

Reactions: TripleB
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
9 times out of 10 its your Axel!

Welcome from Michigan BTW

Gospel around here....
Pics or it didn't Happen bro!

R

RIckMoJO

Dec 20, 2020
Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I just called the dealership and they seem to think it’s that too. Kind of odd with low mileage. What axels are best? OEM or are there better / cheaper after market ones? And who do you recommend ?

R

rickoshea

So I just called the dealership and they seem to think it’s that too. Kind of odd with low mileage. What axels are best? OEM or are there better / cheaper after market ones? And who do you recommend ?
cheaper rarely =better.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
OEM’s are actually pretty good.
SATV rhinos (not Mit Romney lol) are good, 8 balls aint bad either, ive had good luck with them as well

• Haha
Reactions: Plowboy1466 and CID
D

DDDonkey

I have had good luck with the SATV axles and they have more articulation and the CV.

R

RIckMoJO

Dec 20, 2020
Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool thanks. Just found out since it’s the LE model. Apparently there aren’t any aftermarket parts for them? I have to go OEM

Reactions: ChadD
LowDid

LowDid

Mar 1, 2021
Elk County, Pa.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
Purchased a new 2021 Pioneer 1000-3 LE a couple months ago. Coming from a Polaris NorthStar, I was excited to finally get back into the world of Honda. My pioneer has 120 very easy miles on it, mostly use on property for maintenance and fetching spring water. Well, it developed a clicking noise from the rear end of the machine. Researched and watched several YouTube vids on the turf/2WD adjustments. did that, still clicking. Doesn't matter, turf, 2WD, I4WD, still clicks. Was reading in here about axle failure, at such a young age? Well, took it to a dealer and left it for a couple days. Called them today and they said... axle failure and they have to order one and it will be covered under warranty. First time in a lifetime of owning Hondas has one failed for me. EDIT: Three weeks to the day, got it back, replaced axle, clicking seems to be gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD and PJ1
Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Called them today and they said... axle failure and they have to order one and it will be covered under warranty.
2021 with 400 miles and I have the extended warranty. I’m getting the clicking now mostly noticeable in turning, slow reverse and initial take off. Glad to hear that this is a warranty issue. Any problems getting them to warranty it on your unit?

Reactions: ChadD
advertisement
LowDid

LowDid

Mar 1, 2021
Elk County, Pa.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
2021 with 400 miles and I have the extended warranty. I’m getting the clicking now mostly noticeable in turning, slow reverse and initial take off. Glad to hear that this is a warranty issue. Any problems getting them to warranty it on your unit?
The service manager @ Legends Motorsports in Brockway, Pa., said he was going to bat for me with Honda on the axle because of the mileage/hours/condition of the machine for warranty coverage. The repairs to the left rear axle didn't cost me anything. Mine would click exactly in the same manner as you have explained Cajun.

Reactions: CID and ChadD
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys must've just gotten defective axles. No way they should be failing at such short use. My rears are still stock at 10k.

LowDid

LowDid

Mar 1, 2021
Elk County, Pa.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 1000-3
You guys must've just gotten defective axles. No way they should be failing at such short use. My rears are still stock at 10k.
I agree Dave, if Honda had a run of bad axle joints (out of tolerance) has me very concerned about the other three on my unit. Probably all four came out of the same batch or at least my other rear one. Sigh.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!