Clunking in drivetrain on tight turns

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Hey guys, I haven't been riding for a few months, for a variety of reasons. I just got my Talon out to move it to my other shop to service it. We are heading to Hurricane next week. I drove it around our community, and noticed a pretty loud clunking when making tight turns. The switch is in 2wd. I tried backing up then forward. No change. I got onto some dirt and it didn't do it. All is fine going straight.

Coming on the forum to ask for advice was my first thought. I have about a week to get this sorted out. I appreciate any suggestions!

Tom

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I should have included more info. My sig line seems to be gone. It is a 2021 R. I bought it new. It now has 4800 miles. Probably 30% on pavement. This is definitely something it hasn't done before. I just wiggled each end of each axle. No play or minimal play at any location. I tack welded the caps on the front driveshaft at less than 1000 miles. It is a little like a vehicle in 4wd on pavement, but no noticeable jerking/ lurching. Just the clunking.

Thanks!

Tom

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Both of my talons do it until a good warmup. My 2019 Talon has over 37,000 miles and both rear axles are still ok. I think the aftermarket axles also have the annoying clicking problem.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Seems odd that it would have failed while in storage, maybe needs used a bit to redistribute the grease.

Reactions: Remington
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Seems odd that it would have failed while in storage, maybe needs used a bit to redistribute the grease.
Exactly!!! I am having a hard time getting past the fact that it was fine when I last drove it, some 4 months ago. Since then it has just been moved around a few times. I checked all of the fluids, they were fine, as expected. Then I took it out on the highway for a few miles. at up to 60 mph. After that, the clunking was gone. The next day, I drove it again. The clunking was back, but seeming not as severe. And it went away quicker. So, I will proceed with changing the fluids, as planned, then take it out for a ride in the dirt. I suspect at this point, that it will be fine.

I think the moral of this little story is that Talons don't like to sit around! They want and need to be driven!

Tom

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My inner LR boot started spitting grease just about the same time the clunking started (I actually thought it was the RR). Since the LR boot was spitting grease, I decided to replace that CV and boot (at 8157 miles). That stopped the clunking, YAY. 😎

Since I ride solo most of the time, I'm not sure how long I'd have put up with the clunking before getting nervous but the boot spitting out its grease was a no brainer, time to replace both. HondaBob has had clunking CVs for quite a while and they seem to quit once warmed up. Are ya feelin' lucky? Well, are ya, punk?

PaulF disassembled one of his and found several burned spots on the hardened steel parts and thought Honda dropped the ball on quality control - why some of us are having trouble and others aren't.

If you decide to replace the noisy one, Russel does a youtube video on how-to - it's linked below.

Since I've done one, I'd be glad to answer any questions Russel misses. I did my how-to in the What Did You Do to Your Talon Today thread.

Russel's video is also linked here -

Last edited:
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, I haven't been riding for a few months, for a variety of reasons. I just got my Talon out to move it to my other shop to service it. We are heading to Hurricane next week. I drove it around our community, and noticed a pretty loud clunking when making tight turns. The switch is in 2wd. I tried backing up then forward. No change. I got onto some dirt and it didn't do it. All is fine going straight.

Coming on the forum to ask for advice was my first thought. I have about a week to get this sorted out. I appreciate any suggestions!

Tom
Mine is doing the same once grease warms up in the axle it quits. It just started out the blue as well. Sounds sounds like it swaps sides to what ever side I’m turning. It’s not a loud click but surly different that normal. 2019 1500 miles

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly!!! I am having a hard time getting past the fact that it was fine when I last drove it, some 4 months ago. Since then it has just been moved around a few times. I checked all of the fluids, they were fine, as expected. Then I took it out on the highway for a few miles. at up to 60 mph. After that, the clunking was gone. The next day, I drove it again. The clunking was back, but seeming not as severe. And it went away quicker. So, I will proceed with changing the fluids, as planned, then take it out for a ride in the dirt. I suspect at this point, that it will be fine.

I think the moral of this little story is that Talons don't like to sit around! They want and need to be driven!

Tom
Ride or Die!

• Love
Reactions: CID and Boundertom
Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Had same noise on mine and would have sworn it was in the drivetrain underneath me, wound up being rear wheel bearing… sounds travel I guess.

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had same noise on mine and would have sworn it was in the drivetrain underneath me, wound up being rear wheel bearing… sounds travel I guess.
Mine can very well be as well. Thanks for bringing that up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!