P1000m5 Clutch recall...

PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good day folks.
I would like to pick some brains. (I will be gentle)

I have recently picked up a 2017 100-5. It currently has about 425 km on it. Had it out a couple of weekends ago. towards the end of the day gear 1,3,5 the clutch was starting to slip. Took it to the dealer the next day as it has an extended warranty. I heard back From the dealer, apparently the clutch recall has not been done on this unit. They says it does not register in there system as needing it. They are in talks with Honda now. Has anyone ran in to this problem before?

Thanks

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Good day folks.

I have recently picked up a 2017 100-5. It currently has about 425 km on it. Had it out a couple of weekends ago. towards the end of the day gear 1,3,5 the clutch was starting to slip. Took it to the dealer the next day as it has an extended warranty. I heard back From the dealer, apparently the clutch recall has not been done on this unit. They says it does not register in there system as needing it. They are in talks with Honda now. Has anyone ran in to this problem before?

Thanks
They started putting the updated clutch covers on during assembly about halfway through 2017. Yours probably already has the updated cover.

That campaign ended on 9/30/2020 as well, but I'd still expect the VIN to show as needing the update regardless. @HondaTech ?

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Good day folks.

Thanks

There never was a clutch "recall", it was a Product Update. This is the reason your dealer won't see it as "needing" it.

Honda had no obligation to perform the update, but they were offering it for free for a certain period of time. The period to have it performed for free ended in September of this year.

However, the extended warranty will probably cover the clutch replacement, but im not sure if they'll consider the updated parts as a warrantable item. I haven't run into this senario yet, they may cover the updated parts along with the clutch and they could play hardball and not.

If you could shoot me your VIN I could look into it.

H

HondaTech

They started putting the updated clutch covers on during assembly about halfway through 2017. Yours probably already has the updated cover.

That campaign ended on 9/30/2020 as well, but I'd still expect the VIN to show as needing the update regardless. @HondaTech ?

Updates don't show up in the VIN search unless it's been completed and even then you have to know what to look for to verify the update has been registered as completed.

Only recalls show in the VIN reports

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
So if it does not have the new cover, and the original owner did not do the recall am I SOL?
Unfortunately, I believe so. If you've got an extended warranty hopefully they will make it right if you don't have the updated cover. Pop the dump bed and check to see if the clutch cover has a small rounded bump on the top:

Reactions: TxDoc
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Updates don't show up in the VIN search unless it's been completed and even then you have to know what to look for to verify the update has been registered as completed.

Only recalls show in the VIN reports
Good to know, thanks again man.

Reactions: Biteme and TxDoc
PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I received more info this aft. As you guys have stated it was a product update not a recall🙄. So I have been on the phone with Honda customer care. They recommended I talk to the dealer and get them To do a good will claim. If the dealer does it they say it’s much faster (like 24hs). But if I do it over the phone with customer care it takes 20 days just for them to look at the claim. So up to the dealer I went. The dealer has no idea what they are talking about. They claim I have to do it...... so anyway the dealer is looking into it.

I also found paperwork stating the previous owner took it in for this update. However it was not done 🤷🏻‍♂️

I called a different dealer before I bought this machine. I had them run the vin to see if anything need to be done. Them claim it did not except for the power steer lose that came out recently. So as a customer how was I to know this had not been done?

B783A9DF 804A 4059 804C 395B2B2CA190

H

HondaTech

Interestingly that VIN is doing some funny stuff with our unit information system.

It shows its valid but has no warranty info, recall info, or customer info.

Can you verify that is the correct VIN?

PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s the vin on the ownership. I can not check the machine as it’s on a lift at the dealer. However I did check it when I first bought it. So ya it’s right.

C9132691 780A 4927 9264 55CA3D88E2CE

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interestingly that VIN is doing some funny stuff with our unit information system.

It shows its valid but has no warranty info, recall info, or customer info.

Can you verify that is the correct VIN?
I did just transfer the Extended warranty with Honda last week. Could the system just not have fought up yet?

Reactions: Biteme
H

HondaTech

Thats weird it won't come up in our parts fiche VIN search and this is what I get in our unit information search:

20201028 195030

Which makes it seem to me like the VIN is wrong.

H

HondaTech

I did just transfer the Extended warranty with Honda last week. Could the system just not have fought up yet?

Its should still show me the standard warranty terms and what recalls have been completed. As I posted above it doesn't even know what model it is.

It should look like this:

20201028 195310

PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for checking. It’s strange thats for sure. I’ll keep you up dated as it progress. If your interested.

PropsR4Boats

PropsR4Boats

Sep 10, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ha ha ha. I like to do things differently........ I just wish it would stop costing so much dame money.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!