P500 Continued problems with the 17

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Somedays I wish I would have kept my trusty old 15. This 17 has been fun but a few headaches along the way. Brought it to the dealer where I bought it from for the seal from the back of the engine to the driveshaft & the rear Diff is seeping oil(Said it was normal). Now a couple weeks ago I went riding and notices I had water in the headlights while I was on a ride and a bulb had blew. Called the same dealer discussed it and a week later finally got back to me they told me that Honda wouldn't warranty it due to it being my choice of riding conditions.

So I finally called Honda to discuss the headlight issue and they started a case and then called me back a few days later. The rep called me back and said that she wants me to take it in so they can physically look at it get the regional rep out to take a look. I told her about the rear seal and the diff and she seriously sounded concerned that they never did anything.

Today I went to a different dealership to pick up some oil for my other machine and talked to the service guy and showed him pix of all this and he said that it doesn't sound right at all with any of the issues that I have stated above and wants me to bring it to them so they can look at it.

So my question is am I being jerked around by dealer #1? I'm gonna call Honda back on Monday and see if it would be an issue if I took it to this other place. Think I will have an issue with doing this? The second place sounds like they really want to look into this and help out. I may be beating a dead horse with this issue but to me these things shouldn't be happening. Anyone with thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks for listening lol.

IMG 0292 IMG 0293 IMG 0294 IMG 0329 IMG 0330 IMG 0333

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Dealer #1 isn't interested in helping you, take it to Dealer #2, many like the warranty service pay.

The rear seal leaking isn't normal, but neither is riding in water deep enough to enter the headlights, suprised you didn't suck water into fuel tank via vent hose, its lower than head
lights.

Wish you luck on getting it fixed, Honda frowns on deep water riding over depth in owners manual. They rarely help in water related issues.

Reactions: Arizona and rocmar
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not gonna disagree that I don't ride water but I'm not in over my headlights. Never had that problem with my 15 and same with the rear seal. Crappy thing is this other dealer is a lot further away but if they are willing to help I'll definitely go.

I've got all my vent lines ran up and snorkeled so I'm not getting water in the gas.

Reactions: trigger and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm not gonna disagree that I don't ride water but I'm not in over my headlights. Never had that problem with my 15 and same with the rear seal. Crappy thing is this other dealer is a lot further away but if they are willing to help I'll definitely go.

I've got all my vent lines ran up and snorkeled so I'm not getting water in the gas.

Thats good to here on extending the vent lines. Any dealer can perform your warranty work, would be better to have a cooperative one vs. a reluctant one. No matter which dealer you choose be sure and give them the case # your started with corporate. That usually will have some positive effect when they know Honda will be following up on it. Still I say odds are against you on water in lights getting warrantied, they will say you chose to drive in deep water and extended vent lines if seen by regional rep will support that. Still has nothing to do with leaking seals getring fixed.

Reactions: Little_g
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thats good to here on extending the vent lines. Any dealer can perform your warranty work, would be better to have a cooperative one vs. a reluctant one. No matter which dealer you choose be sure and give them the case # your started with corporate. That usually will have some positive effect when they know Honda will be following up on it. Still I say odds are against you on water in lights getting warrantied, they will say you chose to drive in deep water and extended vent lines if seen by regional rep will support that. Still has nothing to do with leaking seals getring fixed.
Yeah when I Brought it down the first time and they called back a few days later they said oh it was normal and just "breaking in". :mad: Yeah I don't think so. I'm gonna give them my case number and the person I've been talking with and extension to get ahold of her. Kinda bummed about the headlights and one Never knows I may get lucky and get a one time fix :D lol.. Trying to stay positive but if not I'm gonna drill some holes and replace the bulbs or just get a lightbar.

Reactions: uconn411
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well dealer #2 is willing to help with headlights and the other issues. Bringing it down on Thursday and will probably have to wait a week for them to get to it but I'm willing to wait if all these things get fixed. Have my 07 rancher to ride so I'm not out haha. Will keep ya informed of what happens.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had to drop it off a day early due to scheduling issue. Called Honda before I dropped it off and when I got to the dealer I started telling the service guy about the lights and he's like oh it's you Honda was telling me aboutLOL. Gives me some reassurance that it will be looked at whether anything gets done about it or not but at least they will know. Sounds like they are getting the regional rep out to look at it and that they will get it in pretty much right away. Cross your fingers guys & gals.

H

HondaTech

Ive seen plenty of units that ive known to have been in water above the headlights and never seen water in them. I have seen bulbs blow on the housing for no reason. Like glass exploding for seemingly nothing. Ive had a couple of rear seals that look like there leaking from excess grease collecting dirt. But yours appears to be leaking oil, never seen the rear diff leaking there. But warranty pays better than you guys do, bring it my way.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Ive seen plenty of units that ive known to have been in water above the headlights and never seen water in them. I have seen bulbs blow on the housing for no reason. Like glass exploding for seemingly nothing. Ive had a couple of rear seals that look like there leaking from excess grease collecting dirt. But yours appears to be leaking oil, never seen the rear diff leaking there. But warranty pays better than you guys do, bring it my way.
Can't remember...hearing to much..
...warranty work being done...on any p5
....Solid....Goat

advertisement
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
UPDATE!

Called and talked with the service guy today and nothing but GOOD news that everything will be covered. Looks like I will be making the drive to go to this dealer from now on and I will purchase from them next time I buy a machine. BIG shout out to REVOLUTIONS POWER SPORTS in Grand Forks ND. Lol you guys have no idea how happy this made me.

J

Johnsee

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
UPDATE!

Called and talked with the service guy today and nothing but GOOD news that everything will be covered. Looks like I will be making the drive to go to this dealer from now on and I will purchase from them next time I buy a machine. BIG shout out to REVOLUTIONS POWER SPORTS in Grand Forks ND. Lol you guys have no idea how happy this made me.
who was the first dealer. avoidance!

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
who was the first dealer. avoidance!
Park River Implement Park River, ND
I don't understand why they didn't wanna help out because my cousin and a couple other friends bought their 1000s there and when they went back for some warranty work they had no problems, but I am not going back. They are a small town dealer close to home so thats why I went there. Should have my machine back this week hopefully.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Little_g , glad you got on the trails again, and thanks for sharing. What was done about the leaking diff?

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Little_g , glad you got on the trails again, and thanks for sharing. What was done about the leaking diff?
What they told me is that there isn't a seal/gasket on the diff and that Honda just uses a sealant then the two pieces are put together. They said that they are going to take it apart and re-seal it because it shouldn't be seeping like that. Still at the shop and hoping to hear from them this week as they were still waiting for parts. Honestly don't care how long it takes as long as it gets fixed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!