cooling fan wont come on

C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
I have a honda pioneer 1000 but i also have a 2006 honda 350 fourtrax which I am having cooling fan issues.The fan doesnt seem to come on when I feel that the engine is warm.I did all the usual tests and the fan will come on when I ground the oil sensor wire.I removed the oil sensor from the engine and applied heat to it and the fan comes on.I replaced it with a new one just in case but the fan doesnt run when I feel it should be on.I was told the fan module could be bad .If it was bad why does the fan come on when I heat the oil sensor?Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Gary

Reactions: rtn001 and TxDoc
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello.
You are asking about the Rancher right?

Is the oil temp light coming on?.. overheating.. and the fan still not working?

Really not much to the rancher fan system. Oil temp sensor that grounds out is about all there is.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thorney

Thorney

Mar 21, 2021
Minnesota / Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm no expert, but I do have a Rancher, a Foreman as well as my P700-4. I will say the cooling fan on my Rancher rarely comes on. The Foreman comes on more frequently. The P700-4 is new, but the fan did come on yesterday as I was doing a slow tour of some country roads yesterday.

Reactions: rtn001 and cattmann
C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hello.

Really not much to the rancher fan system. Oil temp sensor that grounds out is about all there is.

no oil light coming on other than when first started.Last fall I removed the sensor from the engine and heated it up and the fan started as it should.Replaced the sensor anyway just incase the it wasnt sending the right message .No change Raking topsoil with it the other day and it was very hot but the fan didnt come on.I also noticed today that there was oil in the bottom of the airbox which probably came from the hose attached to the crankcase.

Reactions: rtn001 and Tward
C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hello.

its a 2006 350 fourtrax

Reactions: rtn001
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Is this "new to you"?
I'm only asking because like @HondaTech said... the fan should rarely come on at all. I doubt a fairly modest 1-2 hour trail ride would make it come on at all. The Rancher is considered an Air-Cooled machine even with the oil cooler/fan.

I only recall mine coming on when pulling logs on the farm. Other than that... I don't ever recall it working at all.

All in all. I suggest pushing your concern level up to when the oil light comes on and at that point, the fan still does not work.
But I feel like it will as the only test you can do to check it out said it was working.

Well..
Good luck.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!