P500 Could not steer. Rack & Pinion had major issue after mud hole.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
So I went riding Saturday and had two different issues that put me on the trailer. Rode around for about 30 minutes and after going through a watery muddy hole at speed the steering wheel started to get really stiff to turn. A buddy said his kids 800RZR does the same thing when it gets water in the rack, he eluded to it hydro locking.

Now, this also happened to me 3 weeks ago (after a big puddle) and since it was at the end of the day I just parked it and the next day it seemed fine but I had no major ride that day, just loaded up after a ride around to see if it was still messed up, and it seemed fine. I also rode it around the yard during this last week to be sure it was ready for a big weekend outing and all seemed fine.

Also when I headed back to the trailer I noticed it pulling hard to the left, kinda felt like a flat tire, it started to squeal like a bearing was going out.

So, I came home and pressure washed everything last night down and this morning I did a basic inspection and other than a few torn CV axle boots all seems good. I cannot get the problem to replicate itself. It turns well and the wheels spin freely. The gators on the rack are not damaged and I cant see any obvious issue. I am going to guess that the squeal from the front left was from rocks jammed into the caliper area and after the wash the issue resolved itself, it could have been a rock wedged between the rim and caliper for all I know. The wheel free spins and has no side play or slop in the bearing.

But the rack and the steering issue is a big deal, it gets wet and I cant steer. I cant have that.
I don't want to load this thing up for another ride only to go back on the trailer. Has anyone else had the steering issue?

Can someone with a service manual look and see if the rack has a grease fitting that I can use to purge any water out of it?

IMG 2691

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I went riding Saturday and had two different issues that put me on the trailer. Rode around for about 30 minutes and after going through a watery muddy hole at speed the steering wheel started to get really stiff to turn. A buddy said his kids 800RZR does the same thing when it gets water in the rack, he eluded to it hydro locking.

Now, this also happened to me 3 weeks ago (after a big puddle) and since it was at the end of the day I just parked it and the next day it seemed fine but I had no major ride that day, just loaded up after a ride around to see if it was still messed up, and it seemed fine. I also rode it around the yard during this last week to be sure it was ready for a big weekend outing and all seemed fine.

Also when I headed back to the trailer I noticed it pulling hard to the left, kinda felt like a flat tire, it started to squeal like a bearing was going out.

So, I came home and pressure washed everything last night down and this morning I did a basic inspection and other than a few torn CV axle boots all seems good. I cannot get the problem to replicate itself. It turns well and the wheels spin freely. The gators on the rack are not damaged and I cant see any obvious issue. I am going to guess that the squeal from the front left was from rocks jammed into the caliper area and after the wash the issue resolved itself, it could have been a rock wedged between the rim and caliper for all I know. The wheel free spins and has no side play or slop in the bearing.

But the rack and the steering issue is a big deal, it gets wet and I cant steer. I cant have that.
I don't want to load this thing up for another ride only to go back on the trailer. Has anyone else had the steering issue?

Can someone with a service manual look and see if the rack has a grease fitting that I can use to purge any water out of it?

View attachment 19707
Can't say that I've ever had that trouble pFive. I don't like the thought that waters getting into the steering rack though. And it's not comforting just because it happens to the RZR. I've been through lots of water, some mud holes, but I typically avoid them because I just don't want to get that sandy muddy water into everything, especially the break linings, rotors, bearings......

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
If anybody knows where I can get a service manual .pdf file that would be great, I need to see if it has a grease zerk. I will look for a crack in the rack housing.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If anybody knows where I can get a service manual .pdf file that would be great, I need to see if it has a grease zerk. I will look for a crack in the rack housing.
I have not see the 500 in PDF yet. I have a print copy but it will be Monday b4 I can get images.
FYI. Honda is not a fan of zerk's. So my guess is there is not.

Reactions: pFive
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have not see the 500 in PDF yet. I have a print copy but it will be Monday b4 I can get images.
FYI. Honda is not a fan of zerk's. So my guess is there is not.

Thanks for the heads up. I need to buy a manual but l prefer them on my shop tablet whenever possible, its easier to zoom than find glasses..

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My foreman acted exactly like that when my left front CV started locking up from riding with a torn boot. It'd be fine one second then bike would pull hard left and be really hard to steer. I'm mentioning this cause you said it had torn boots. Just a thought.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
My foreman acted exactly like that when my left front CV started locking up from riding with a torn boot. It'd be fine one second then bike would pull hard left and be really hard to steer. I'm mentioning this cause you said it had torn boots. Just a thought.
This. If you have torn CV boots my bet it that you have an outboard joint going out that's causing the pulling and steering issues.

Reactions: pFive
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I agree, good call. I took the axle out and then took the CV apart for inspection, it was full of water and dirty. It had to be the issue.

New boots are on order. Now I need stick stoppers, but man those are over priced.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree, good call. I took the axle out and then took the CV apart for inspection, it was full of water and dirty. It had to be the issue.

New boots are on order. Now I need stick stoppers, but man those are over priced.
They are indeed overpriced, and not even close to 100% protection.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I just threw that out there as a possibility. I looked for the problem for a long time before discovering the CV problem. Just didn't seem logical in my pea sized brain that the joint would make it pull to one side like that. Glad thats what it was.

Reactions: Eltobgi
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I went with the aluminum over the SSS because with my wheel spacers I may need to weld on more material to protect voids. That and the SSS were $140 for the fronts alone. I have the SSS skid plate on now, its awesome but I don't think I will be sliding off a rock with my lower a arms hard enough to damage these.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I went with the aluminum over the SSS because with my wheel spacers I may need to weld on more material to protect voids. That and the SSS were $140 for the fronts alone. I have the SSS skid plate on now, its awesome but I don't think I will be sliding off a rock with my lower a arms hard enough to damage these.
Yeah, mine are steel too. Wanted too much for the aluminum ones.
I have 1" spacers on mine and didn't see the need for extension. You went with 2" didn't you?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Like everything for these they are overpriced. Decent protection though.
Better than nothing as pfive can attest to.
They are better than nothing!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have 1" spacers on mine and didn't see the need for extension. You went with 2" didn't you?
You can get the aluminum ones half price from a member named Alan. ;)

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500

Yeah, since my tires were so narrow I felt it would help. It puts me right at 54" wide overall.

Reactions: trigger
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!