Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a feeling you might like that @Delton!
I can't imagine any guy (with working parts anyways) that wouldn't get a kick out of driving one of those. I should've taken up farming cause I've been obsessed with heavy equipment since birth. Finally got my first tractor couple summers ago (don't laugh but it's a lil 28hp Yanmar). It's my most prized possession. Just slightly above my p1k. I bush hog bout 20 acre pasture and purposely bought a 4 footer just cause it takes me longer to cut it lol. I've found countless uses for the loader and the 4wd, well y'all know how much fun that can be lol.

C

Chooglin

I built this go kart back in the early 80's.
I bought a old Ossa 250 motorcycle and used the motor from it. It was pretty hard to keep the front wheels on the ground.............it was scary powerful !!
20160218 204012

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built this go kart back in the early 80's.
I bought a old Ossa 250 motorcycle and used the motor from it. It was pretty hard to keep the front wheels on the ground.............it was scary powerful !!
View attachment 28075
Posts like this remind me that I'm definitely on the right forum for me lol. I got my 7yr olds Chinese 4 wheeler lurking in storage just waiting for a build similar to this (only alot lighter cause it's just a 110cc).

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
digging up some old pics and vids, made me think of this thread
That's a bad ass ride. Still love the steering I wish that was a little easier to accomplish in the Pioneer.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If any one could make it happen....

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

If you or Snuff wanted to come up with a set of heavy knuckles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you or Snuff wanted to come up with a set of heavy knuckles...

You dont think you couldnt just use the same parts as whats already on the front? Knuckels and arms.would have to make new mounts, But use an electric hydraulic pump to run a cylinder

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Why not just use Honda stock front knuckles and make them work on the back? Use the super ATV front arms on the back but mounted in the opposite direction so they're still adding more clearance.

" jak9922" lmfao grilling hotdogs on a stick over an open popo hahahahaha

Reactions: popeye
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
CP, I think your new winch is going to be a problem with mounting the rack and Pinion

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You dont think you couldnt just use the same parts as whats already on the front? Knuckels and arms.would have to make new mounts, But use an electric hydraulic pump to run a cylinder

Ya actually you could but the front is so light duty compared to the rear I think you'd kill it for heavy use. Electric would absolutely be the way to go as it could be switched or possibly variable. I'd hate to be in a Pioneer at 60 and try to make a turn! Holy s***!! Would be super cool on the hill climbs and dodging trees though

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP, I think your new winch is going to be a problem with mounting the rack and Pinion

lol! There's a ton of room where sway bar use to go and if you reversed the front equipment like you'd want that's where a rack or actuators would go anyways. You could use electric motor to control the power steering rack. I think there is room it's probably very possible with some google and dedication. If this thing was steering by wire I'd attempt with way less hesitation but I really think front components would fail in the rear of this tanker

@snuffnwhiskey what you think about this madness?

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
lol! There's a ton of room where sway bar use to go and if you reversed the front equipment like you'd want that's where a rack or actuators would go anyways. You could use electric motor to control the power steering rack. I think there is room it's probably very possible with some google and dedication. If this thing was steering by wire I'd attempt with way less hesitation but I really think front components would fail in the rear of this tanker

@snuffnwhiskey what you think about this madness?
Especially your tanker. That thing has to be heavy and you do seem to have your fair share of bad luck

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Especially your tanker. That thing has to be heavy and you do seem to have your fair share of bad luck

Keep in mind most of mine is electronics involved which doesn't weigh much. I heard someone the other day saying they didn't want to add much to theirs because of weight yet still had skids a-arm guards winch big tires roof hard doors glass shield etc big bumper, big aux battery .. you know all the heavy stuff. Kinda got me thinking.mine might be 20-30 hell maybe even 40 heavier then like machine without all the equipment. As long as rear rack is off. I've got lightweight amps lost 15 on exhaust and lightweight front bumper, hell my backup camera is lighter then a mirror and switches and 9watt crees tpms don't weight much! Even 40 pounds isn't going to do much that's the difference of weight between some people and it's a 5 seater lol

Last edited:
Reactions: popeye
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep in mind most of mine is electronics involved which doesn't weigh much. I heard someone the other day saying they didn't want to add much to theirs because of weight yet still had skids a-arm guards winch big tires roof hard doors glass shield etc big bumper, big aux battery .. you know all the heavy stuff. Kinda got me thinking.mine might be 20-30 hell maybe even 40 heavier then like machine without all the equipment. As long as rear rack is off. I've got lightweight amps lost 15 on exhaust and lightweight front bumper, hell my backup camera is lighter then a mirror and switches and 9watt crees tpms don't weight much! Even 40 pounds isn't going to do much that's the difference of weight between some people and it's a 5 seater lol
Ya valid point, your right

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya valid point, your right

I kinda thought at first like many others this might be effecting clutches some but no way at least no more then regular accessories on a 1000-5. Shoot I saved enough weight out of cutting 5 1/2in out of the windshield to make up for the shocks. There's both give and take, I'm curious though I'd like to get accurate weight and compare it.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I kinda thought at first like many others this might be effecting clutches some but no way at least no more then regular accessories on a 1000-5. Shoot I saved enough weight out of cutting 5 1/2in out of the windshield to make up for the shocks. There's both give and take, I'm curious though I'd like to get accurate weight and compare it.

no truck stops near your house? most charge $9-$11 to run something across their scales

and here is you hydraulic power unit you need or something similar to this one
Amazon.com: Happybuy Hydraulic Pump 12V DC Double Acting Hydraulic Power Unit 4 Quart Plastic Tank Hydraulic Pump Power Unit for Dump Trailer Car Lifting (4 Quart Double Acting Plastic): Home Improvement

and here is a cylinder for your too

Amazon.com: Mighty Double Acting Hydraulic Welded Cylinder, Tube Cross - 1.5" Bore x 12" Stroke: Home Improvement

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

What would you think about using a power rack and replacing steering shaft with heavy 12v motor
Not positive on how you'd get either to recognize steering input, how'd you do that in your beast

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so mine was totally independent from the front, I controlled mine through a toggle switch mounted on the trans shift lever, it was hydraulic powered from a p.s. pump but controlled the flow with electric silinoid valves to control the direction of the flow of the fluid. I did not build that rig, I bought it used the system was already in place, I did make some improvements to it but that's it.

I do think that a motor controlling a pinion on a rack could work, might have a large draw to it, not realy sure, the gearing of it might be tricky too. too fast and there wouldn't be any strength to it and to slow would be just as bad, not to mention what would hold it in place when you weren't trying to adjust the steering angle with the motor? if you were to hit a rock with the back tires and put a little side load on them what would stop them from just turning to go the path of least resistance even if you didn't want them too

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did end up installing a proximity switch and a steel finger as a location device to light up an idiot light to let me know as the driver when the rear tires were straight, but still found my self looking back at them almost as much as I was looking forward

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!