russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
As all of you probably know, the stock 1000 cupholders are too small. The mod to put new cupholders in is old news, but I'd like to share the method I used to make enlarging the hole easier and more precise. In the attached pictures you can see how I actually turned two hole saws into somewhat of a step bit. You can use a standard 1/4" pilot bit if you're careful, but a better option is a piece of 1/4" round stock. It's not as brittle as a drill bit and the drill bit is not needed in this procedure anyway. The smaller hole saw is just used as a guide to center the larger hole saw. The smaller hole saw is 2 3/4". The larger saw that I used is a 3 1/2", but it is slightly too small, but I wasn't going to spend the money to buy a larger one to use one time. I will use a dremel to open the hole slightly to accept the new cupholder. I suspect the correct size larger hole saw would be a 3 5/8". I also used the DeWalt right angle attachment with the appropriate adapters to drill the hole without removing the windshield. Important! Be careful enlarging the hole on the drivers side due to the close proximity of the wire connected to the headlight switch. Don't cut it!

Step bit Step bit 2 Step bit 3

Last edited:
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just did mine and used my M12 Milwaukee hack saw but that right there sir is frigin genius. 👍

R

rickoshea

i used the hole saw on a piece of 1/4"plywood then used that as the template.it ensures no walking of the saw at all.be aware that the light switch wires are very close to the hole.

advertisement
fishingpolesling

fishingpolesling

Jan 11, 2020
San Jose Ca
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i used the hole saw on a piece of 1/4"plywood then used that as the template.it ensures no walking of the saw at all.be aware that the light switch wires are very close to the hole.
I like this idea best, so which size hole saw did you use?

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
fishingpolesling

fishingpolesling

Jan 11, 2020
San Jose Ca
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
R

rickoshea

I like this idea best, so which size hole saw did you use?
i can't remember.i got a box of 6 of cup holders for my boat a couple years back and used 2 of those.it may have been 3".all depends on which cup holders you get.all i know is it was a perfect fit and they fit nice and snug.

Reactions: Lady01
A

AXL2020

Dec 8, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Try these out. They are a bit pricey but worth it.
I have tried them in the stainless cup holders and the black plastic ones. They work great in the stainless but, the Yeti style cups don't sit far enough down in the plastic ones.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!