P500 Dash Lights On Won’t Start

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
OK, so my son and I hooked up my plow. The P500 started, warmed up, and ran as normal. When I pulled it out of the garage and dropped the winch down on the driveway to double check that everything was set up correctly, and turned it off, the dash lights stayed on the check engine light is flashing and it will now not turn over. I have my battery tender on now.

Any ideas?

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
It might be in gear. It won't start if it's in gear.

Reactions: J80
bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Unhooked and reconnected the battery after the tender was on until charged - no dice. Just clicks. Someone one FB mentioned checking a switch with springs on it??? I’m not a mechanic, so I’m not sure on next steps. I have a buddy coming over later today to help me look things over.

All this 2 days before a major snowstorm - I suppose no plowing for me.

bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
It might be in gear. It won't start if it's in gear.
Thanks - I always put it in neutral and put the brake on when I turn off the machine, which I did before it died. Also, my son and I pushed it out of my driveway and it rolled easily so I assume it’s in neutral.

Reactions: SILVER_ALERT
bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
Well, one of my buddies came over today after work. The battery was ok, so we tapped the starter with a hammer and it started right up. So, sounds like I need a starter.

Any particular brand I should look at or avoid? The Honda starters are $$$!

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Well, one of my buddies came over today after work. The battery was ok, so we tapped the starter with a hammer and it started right up.
Any particular brand I should look at or avoid?

I like Estwing hammers, but a Stanley or even a cheap Harbor Freight should do it for you. ;)

Sorry, the devil made me write that.🤘

Last edited:
JollyJoker

JollyJoker

Jan 19, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
The starter problem is pretty common. You will find that some of the magnets in the starter housing have let loose and jam up the armature. I replaced mine with a $45 ebay one and it worked just as good as the original Honda starter until I sold it. This still does not explain the dash light staying on and the engine light on the dash going off?

advertisement
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
bms

bms

Feb 3, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a neutron starter from rocky mountain atv. They have one now for $45. My starter was sounding like a dental drill for a while. I did the old ignore it and hope it goes away and it worked,but did order one from rocky mountain when it came back in stock.
Yep, just ordered the same one.

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a neutron starter from rocky mountain atv. They have one now for $45. My starter was sounding like a dental drill for a while. I did the old ignore it and hope it goes away and it worked,but did order one from rocky mountain when it came back in stock.

Mine sounded the same, 2 of the magnets had come loose. I ordered a replacement from Ebay that worked fine until the seal failed allowing it to fill with oil. I tore the replacement starter apart and put the Honda guts in the replacement starter housing. So far all is well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!