P500 Dead Batteries

jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 520 that sits most of the year at deer camp. I have an Axon winch on it, and the battery seems to always be dead, and die in between times when I get down there. I'm assuming that the winch and/or winch switch are a drain on the battery, even when the machine is off. The camp runs on generator power so I can't keep a tender on it all the time. I'm thinking about a power switch for the winch. Any ideas on the easiest way to do this so the winch won't draw/use power unless I want it on?

TIA

Reactions: TxDoc
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 520 that sits most of the year at deer camp. I have an Axon winch on it, and the battery seems to always be dead, and die in between times when I get down there. I'm assuming that the winch and/or winch switch are a drain on the battery, even when the machine is off. The camp runs on generator power so I can't keep a tender on it all the time. I'm thinking about a power switch for the winch. Any ideas on the easiest way to do this so the winch won't draw/use power unless I want it on?

TIA
You could put a simple cutoff switch on your positive battery cable

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Why not just pull the battery cable/cables off when you leave?

jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500
Why not just pull the battery cable/cables off when you leave?
That's what I'm going to do until I figure something out but I would like to not have to pull the battery cover on and off every time I go there. Plus I would have to remember to do that every time. haha

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like that idea. Any recommendations on a quality one?
Most auto parts stores usually have this style in stock.

Have a good day

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
If the winch has a wireless controller it will drain the battery, I put a cut off like the one earlier in this thread on the power to the winch. Also get a harbor freight solar panel and controller, use one on mower i keep at deer camp and it always starts.

jroot327

jroot327

Nov 26, 2020
IL
Ownership

1. 500
If the winch has a wireless controller it will drain the battery, I put a cut off like the one earlier in this thread on the power to the winch. Also get a harbor freight solar panel and controller, use one on mower i keep at deer camp and it always starts.
Any recommendations on the best spot to mount the kill switch? Under the hood?

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
@Mudder helped me with this during my build...