P500 Dual Batteries

L

Linebacker55

Jan 4, 2020
NL, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Wouldn't mind seeing the battery install myself...with the winch/plow, led bar/cubes, fan, and 12V adapter wondering if the battery has enough juice.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The 500 is a different beast and doesn't really need the isolator like a P1k. You can still do it that way but it's not really necessary. The P1's clutch is a bit sensitive to power level, the P5 not so much. I wired a second battery in parallel 4 yrs ago and haven't had any problems. Just gives you a bigger bank of power. Put mine under the drivers seat btw. Space under the hood is precious when adding other accessories. FWIW

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Are you needing higher running amps or backup starting if the primary dies? Under drivers seat sounds good for a lower center of gravity. I just carry a jump pack as a winch, power steering and radio are my only loads.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Are any of you running an automotive style fused relay box? And if you are, where did you mount it? I'm considering it for mine just to keep everything on its own circuit with a relay.

I will know more when my p52 come in about how and where I will be mounting everything. But, I'm thinking:

-Blue Sea mini add-a-battery (switch mounted between driver's leg)
-2nd (maybe deep cycle battery) either under the hood or under the driver's seat. Underhood will also house power steering and inferno heater, so I'm not sure yet if I'll have room.
-Trickle charging port mounted somewhere (dash?).
-Main power switch energizing all other accessory switches (so there is a guaranteed no parasitic drain on batteries).
-Probably a 10-bank fused relay box to route everything through.
-custom made wiring harness

Circuits needed:
Winch
Power steering
Dump Bed actuator
Forward facing lights
side lights
rear/reverse lights
remote control spot light
hazard light
stereo/control panel
Inferno heater
USB charging ports
rear accessory power (sprayer/spreader)
electric fan override
Electric windshield wipers

That's the tentative plan. We'll see how it pans out when I get eyes-on. Yeesh, that seems like a lot when I write it all out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Are any of you running an automotive style fused relay box? And if you are, where did you mount it? I'm considering it for mine just to keep everything on its own circuit with a relay.

I will know more when my p52 come in about how and where I will be mounting everything. But, I'm thinking:

-2nd (maybe deep cycle battery) either under the hood or under the driver's seat. Underhood will also house power steering and inferno heater, so I'm not sure yet if I'll have room.
-Main power switch energizing all other accessory switches (so there is a guaranteed no parasitic drain on batteries).

That's the tentative plan. We'll see how it pans out when I get eyes-on.
Have a 300 amp Switched waterproof breaker near the battery for high amp accessories off a 6 ga wire running to the hood area. Many amp rating options. Comes in handy to de energize the circuit by pushing the red button. ~$35

B5BA1019 8869 4008 8E50 62BA2A019BE4

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Have a 300 amp Switched waterproof breaker near the battery for high amp accessories off a 6 ga wire running to the hood area. May amp rating options. Comes in handy to de energize the circuit by pushing the red button. ~$35

View attachment 253022

Yeah that's my switch too. I have two circuit breakers wired in, one for accessories and one dedicated to the winch. I don't have a fuse block but a Blue Sea power block instead. Most, if not all, accessories come with an inline fuse and the lights came with relays.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Have a 300 amp Switched waterproof breaker near the battery for high amp accessories off a 6 ga wire running to the hood area. May amp rating options. Comes in handy to de energize the circuit by pushing the red button. ~$35

View attachment 253022

I will definitely be adding one of those to the winch circuit.

I will also be adding some variation of this.
Screenshot 20210205 122653 Amazon Shopping

Reactions: RRogers and Mudder
J

Jdh3

Dec 28, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500

-custom made wiring harness

Circuits needed:
Winch
Power steering
Dump Bed actuator
Forward facing lights
side lights
rear/reverse lights
remote control spot light
hazard light
stereo/control panel
Inferno heater
USB charging ports
rear accessory power (sprayer/spreader)
electric fan override
Electric windshield wipers

That's the tentative plan. We'll see how it pans out when I get eyes-on. Yeesh, that seems like a lot when I write it all out.
My under hood fuse box set up.
2C5EB10A 8108 459F ABF4 BB8689723066

Robertb52

Robertb52

Feb 13, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
Are you needing higher running amps or backup starting if the primary dies? Under drivers seat sounds good for a lower center of gravity. I just carry a jump pack as a winch, power steering and radio are my only loads.
So being new to all this,

If I only plan to have a winch and lightbar, is a second battery needed?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Light bar and Winch don’t require an extra battery (MO). However if you are considering a snow plough or other auxiliary lights or equipment extra battery is nice for sure. I installed one under the hood (using Blue Sea mini add a battery kit) and if I were to do it again I’d go with under seat and a larger battery like an Optima yellow top. Currently running an AGM style in a 50 cal ammo tin under the hood and it works awesome, although takes up under hood space. I like the extra capacity and separate battery for my needs as I often ride by myself in remote regions with no cell coverage (do have a Garmin inReach mini connected to my IPhone). Also snow plough a fair amount and a second battery is a must if at night.