P500 Dealer won't do complete first service.

P

PNWGuy

My P500 has 308 miles on it and is just over a year old.

I noticed on the last ride, it was having the delayed shifting and it seemed to be harder to start when cold.

I called the dealer I bought it from and said it was due for the 100-mile service. They said not to worry about it until 300 miles.

I told them that it has 300 miles on it and they told me to call them when it hit 300 miles last time I called.

They scheduled me for the service last Thursday.

I had to drive the 50 miles to the town that the dealer was in and pick up a bunch of home improvement supplies and get new tires put on my SUV the day I dropped off the Honda.

I dropped it off, and they said it would be about three hours.

I got my new tires installed and did some shopping and got a call that the P500 was ready.

I went to pick it up and pay the bill and they told me that it was $55.

I said that wasn't enough for the 100 mile service which was supposed to include a valve adjustment, fluids changed, transmission adjustment, etc.

The guy told me that they just changed the oil, cleaned the air filter (which was really dirty), and checked the fluids.

He said that I didn't need to have everything done at only 300 miles and to bring it back at 600 miles.

Really? I had the money for the complete service set aside and wanted everything done before hunting season.

He told me that the Hondas really don't need to have the valves adjusted before 600 miles.

Then why is it listed in the manual? This was a major purchase and something I want to keep for a very long time. I want the maintenance done by the book.

Why would the dealer refuse to do service that I asked for and that the manual states is needed?

Reactions: Wbgiessing2
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Good dealer . He sold you what you needed .
I have and have had many Honda off road vehicles from my 78 xr200 (still have it) to my 19 Talon . None have needed or gotten a valve adjustment including my 15 Pioneer 500 .

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Actually by the book you need to be checked . more than likely there is no adjustment needed I would put 3000 on it and then get them checked.

H

HondaTech

Good dealer . He sold you what you needed .
I have and have had many Honda off road vehicles from my 78 xr200 (still have it) to my 19 Talon . None have needed or gotten a valve adjustment including my 15 Pioneer 500 .

Every 500 and 700 I've checked at the first service were out of adjustment. If a customer request something they should get what they asked for.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Do you have the original write up/ticket for service? If so, and a complete service including the items you mentioned, then I would revisit them on how to make this right. Chances are the machine is fine because after all it is a Honda, but the manual calls for it and if you asked for it, then it should be honored or it should have been discussed before you initially left it at the dealership, my 02 cents...

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you have the original write up/ticket for service? If so, and a complete service including the items you mentioned, then I would revisit them on how to make this right. Chances are the machine is fine because after all it is a Honda, but the manual calls for it and if you asked for it, then it should be honored or it should have been discussed before you initially left it at the dealership, my 02 cents...

Now your problem is like sending food back at a restaurant. They could easily park the unit in back then charge you for a valve adjustment.
I appreciate the mechanic trying to save you money. But..."by-the-book'

You know, there is a very clear write-up on how to adjust the valves on this forum.

Reactions: Plumber32
P

PNWGuy

You know, there is a very clear write-up on how to adjust the valves on this forum.
It's not as much about whether they need adjusted or not, but that there is documentation that the vehicle was serviced as scheduled by a certified dealer.

That is extremely important in case of warranty work and resale value.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Every 500 and 700 I've checked at the first service were out of adjustment. If a customer request something they should get what they asked for.
That sums it up nicely (BAD DEALER). I've never understood why someone would turn down money. I also don't care for the advice of having the original oil run until 300 miles. Lots of metal in there.

CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500
What did the dealer say regarding your cold start problem? (I am having that issue). Engine dies on first crank over, fine on second crank over.

P

PNWGuy

What did the dealer say regarding your cold start problem? (I am having that issue). Engine dies on first crank over, fine on second crank over.
Never addressed it.

They did say that the air filter was extremely dirty and may have affected things.

I'll just run it through hunting season and see how it does.

Reactions: CaboJim
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Had full brake replacement on chevy PU and brakes were spongy and pedal when to the floor. Spoke to owner and he agreed to redo a bleed. When picking up the truck, the Service Mgr said it didn’t need a redo...after some choice words with the owner, the redo was redone. Be firm but fair to get what you asked for.

Reactions: PNWGuy

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!