Debating buying Talon Live Valve

• Thread starter C-130loadmaster
  • Start date

Is it reasonable to buy a 24k SXS in my position?

• Total voters
C

C-130loadmaster

Feb 21, 2021
Somerset, KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hey there, new member here. I have been tossing the idea of buying a Honda Talon 1000R Fox Live Valve since around December. I am wondering if it is crazy or irresponsible for me to buy a 24k machine. I know questions like this are very subjective and depend on a lot of factors but I would like to give some background on myself and get opinions. I am a single 22y/o college student. I work 48hrs a week as a paramedic making $13.00/hr plus overtime. I have a 2019 Ridgeline BE and a 2007 civic Si and both are paid off, just paying full coverage for both. Last year my taxed income was just over 40k. My only debt is a 145k duplex that I rent out for $1500 monthly. Is it a bad idea to spend that much on a toy in my financial position? I live in KY and we have 300 acres so I’ve had ATV’s my entire life and we go to brimstone and Royal Blue periodically. I would be financing the SXS with 6k down. I know I am crazy but is this a crazy idea? That’s a LOT of money for a SXS.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've always been tight with my money my whole life. Its put me in good shape financially now in my late 40s. I've had a wife and kids since I was 20. That being said, you with no kids, and 6k down. I would say f*** it and buy it. YOLO.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Don’t finance toys imho. Save up and pay cash. It’s always a better long term financial plan.

I agree. If you ever wreck it or need to sell it, you could be upside down real quick.

But also, yolo. And the time to get into trouble financially is with no wife or kids.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey there, new member here. I have been tossing the idea of buying a Honda Talon 1000R Fox Live Valve since around December. I am wondering if it is crazy or irresponsible for me to buy a 24k machine. I know questions like this are very subjective and depend on a lot of factors but I would like to give some background on myself and get opinions. I am a single 22y/o college student. I work 48hrs a week as a paramedic making $13.00/hr plus overtime. I have a 2019 Ridgeline BE and a 2007 civic Si and both are paid off, just paying full coverage for both. Last year my taxed income was just over 40k. My only debt is a 145k duplex that I rent out for $1500 monthly. Is it a bad idea to spend that much on a toy in my financial position? I live in KY and we have 300 acres so I’ve had ATV’s my entire life and we go to brimstone and Royal Blue periodically. I would be financing the SXS with 6k down. I know I am crazy but is this a crazy idea? That’s a LOT of money for a SXS.
WELCOME from NW Arkansas! $18'000.00 is a lot to go in debt for a toy, I was young once?

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone's going to have different opinions on this. So I say never pay cash for anything especially 24k I invest every thing, in 5 years 24k applied right will get substantial earnings over any interest paid, but not Everyone makes that kinda of money so if u can afford it buy it put money down so you will not go into the red if need to sell. u only live once pay cash or finance don't matter live life!

C

C-130loadmaster

Feb 21, 2021
Somerset, KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Everyone's going to have different opinions on this. So I say never pay cash for anything especially 24k I invest every thing, in 5 years 24k applied right will get substantial earnings over any interest paid, but not Everyone makes that kinda of money so if u can afford it buy it put money down so you will not go into the red if need to sell. u only live once pay cash or finance don't matter live life!
That’s kind of my perspective, I feel like if I decide that I’m getting sort of squeezed or that I don’t get proper use out of it then I can sell it and not be totally upside down. As I look at slightly used ones online they don’t seem to devalue drastically. I am an extremely meticulous person when it comes to my material things anyway!

Reactions: Raynman and toddvdh
C

C-130loadmaster

Feb 21, 2021
Somerset, KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand
WELCOME from NW Arkansas! $18'000.00 is a lot to go in debt for a toy, I was young once?
Hey I’ve spent some time down in AR at LRAFB for Loadmaster training. I love it there, that’s where I got my EMT-B cert. at AR state U!!!

Reactions: toddvdh
C

C-130loadmaster

Feb 21, 2021
Somerset, KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I agree. If you ever wreck it or need to sell it, you could be upside down real quick.

But also, yolo. And the time to get into trouble financially is with no wife or kids.
Well I do plan to insure the machine for a few reasons including the fact that I think it’s required for a financed machine and I have had an ATV burn to the ground due to a leaky carb drain cock screw... that was an expensive “oops!”

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well, if your lucky, the minimum wage will soon be (adjusted for inflation) more like it was in 1968 and that will make your Talon payment...I’d say you’ll be able to buy...Welcome to the forum...😊

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Screw it, if your not married and have a bunch of kids yet . You got a secure job no matter the economy. Go for it, you only live once.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don’t finance toys imho. Save up and pay cash. It’s always a better long term financial plan.
I agree with @JeremieBaker. Don't finance toys. The next couple of years could be very rocky for borrowers. Save up and walk in to the Honda shop with the money in your hand. They will make any deal you want to get your cash. Oh yea, Welcome from NW Louisiana.

#NTC

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've always been tight with my money my whole life. Its put me in good shape financially now in my late 40s. I've had a wife and kids since I was 20. That being said, you with no kids, and 6k down. I would say f*** it and buy it. YOLO.
Funny, I just read this. We had almost the same answer!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I agree with @JeremieBaker. Don't finance toys. The next couple of years could be very rocky for borrowers. Save up and walk in to the Honda shop with the money in your hand. They will make any deal you want to get your cash. Oh yea, Welcome from NW Louisiana.

#NTC
That isn't true any more. Cash is not king unless you're buying used from a 3rd party. When I went to buy mine in 2019 they didn't care how I was paying; the price was the price ($13,895 + tax). I put $8k down and financed the rest at 1.9%. That left the other ~$8k or so in my pocket for a minimal loss on the interest charges. That was before all this Covid nonsense, stock shortages, and booming UTV sales so it's 100% a seller's market right now. None of them are going to make any better deal regardless of whether you show up with a briefcase full of cash or finance it in full. Especially when they are selling them at pretty much MSRP and can't keep them on the lot.

If anything, my advice would be to wait until next year and see if prices start coming back down.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!