BOX1

Debating buying Talon Live Valve

• Thread starter C-130loadmaster
  • Start date

Is it reasonable to buy a 24k SXS in my position?

• Total voters
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
@C-130loadmaster here is a pro-tip for 'ya.......finance the Talon and pay cash for hookers, don't forget, you are paying them to leave.

Any questions visit the NTC thread 😉

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're in your early 20's. This won't be the last toy you buy. If you finance it for 3 or 4 years (or even longer) then once it is paid off you think...I have this extra money and so you finance the next toy. So you are forever financing your toys unless you eventually wise up, break the cycle of debt and save for one. Be smarter than that. Have the cash on hand to buy whatever toy you desire before you buy it. Then be smart about it. If they have a zero interest offer with no early payment penalty you "finance" every dollar of that purchase they will let you. Make the minimum payment while continuing to add to your savings (doesn't mean strictly a savings account either) until right before the balloon of accumulating back interest is going to hit and then pay it off in full. Then get right back to rebuilding your savings. If they don't have an offer that allows you to make money by dragging it out then you just pay cash for it and start saving again. Most people make better decisions when they are spending the money they've saved up versus spending money they haven't earned yet. I think it is because it is a lot harder to write that single check for 24k than it is to write 48 checks for 600 for a total of 28.8k.

There are plenty of people making well into 6 figures a year living paycheck to paycheck because they spend every dollar they earn (or more). That said don't take it to the other extreme and eat ramen for 2 meals a day and work 100 hours a week just to build your balance sheet and live a miserable existence. There is a balance to it. The real secret to financial security is always spending less than you earn though. Ultimately do whatever makes you f***ing happy. It's your life. It's your money. It's your responsibility.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You're in your early 20's. This won't be the last toy you buy. If you finance it for 3 or 4 years (or even longer) then once it is paid off you think...I have this extra money and so you finance the next toy. So you are forever financing your toys unless you eventually wise up, break the cycle of debt and save for one. Be smarter than that. Have the cash on hand to buy whatever toy you desire before you buy it. Then be smart about it. If they have a zero interest offer with no early payment penalty you "finance" every dollar of that purchase they will let you. Make the minimum payment while continuing to add to your savings (doesn't mean strictly a savings account either) until right before the balloon of accumulating back interest is going to hit and then pay it off in full. Then get right back to rebuilding your savings. If they don't have an offer that allows you to make money by dragging it out then you just pay cash for it and start saving again. Most people make better decisions when they are spending the money they've saved up versus spending money they haven't earned yet. I think it is because it is a lot harder to write that single check for 24k than it is to write 48 checks for 600 for a total of 28.8k.

There are plenty of people making well into 6 figures a year living paycheck to paycheck because they spend every dollar they earn (or more). That said don't take it to the other extreme and eat ramen for 2 meals a day and work 100 hours a week just to build your balance sheet and live a miserable existence. There is a balance to it. The real secret to financial security is always spending less than you earn though. Ultimately do whatever makes you f***ing happy. It's your life. It's your money. It's your responsibility.

This is the best answer. Maybe not the most fun answer, but the best answer.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That isn't true any more. Cash is not king unless you're buying used from a 3rd party. When I went to buy mine in 2019 they didn't care how I was paying; the price was the price ($13,895 + tax). I put $8k down and financed the rest at 1.9%. That left the other ~$8k or so in my pocket for a minimal loss on the interest charges. That was before all this Covid nonsense, stock shortages, and booming UTV sales so it's 100% a seller's market right now. None of them are going to make any better deal regardless of whether you show up with a briefcase full of cash or finance it in full. Especially when they are selling them at pretty much MSRP and can't keep them on the lot.

If anything, my advice would be to wait until next year and see if prices start coming back down.
Ouch, but ok!!

Reactions: toddvdh
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I agree. Now, who's gonna make him a samich?

#NTC

Ems199

Ems199

Mar 3, 2021
Liberty Ky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey there, new member here. I have been tossing the idea of buying a Honda Talon 1000R Fox Live Valve since around December. I am wondering if it is crazy or irresponsible for me to buy a 24k machine. I know questions like this are very subjective and depend on a lot of factors but I would like to give some background on myself and get opinions. I am a single 22y/o college student. I work 48hrs a week as a paramedic making $13.00/hr plus overtime. I have a 2019 Ridgeline BE and a 2007 civic Si and both are paid off, just paying full coverage for both. Last year my taxed income was just over 40k. My only debt is a 145k duplex that I rent out for $1500 monthly. Is it a bad idea to spend that much on a toy in my financial position? I live in KY and we have 300 acres so I’ve had ATV’s my entire life and we go to brimstone and Royal Blue periodically. I would be financing the SXS with 6k down. I know I am crazy but is this a crazy idea? That’s a LOT of money for a SXS.
It’s very reasonable as long as you don’t have to work extra to afford the payments. If it’s a huge mental health boost to get your mind of life and college and in essence it’s like hitting the reset button for your brain to be out on the Talon enjoying the ride and the pleasures of it, go for it! Just wear your seat belt LOL

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Good advice!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You my friend, are living the freakin' dream. Buy that Talon and don't look back!!!!

And.......DO NOT GET MARRIED!!!!!!!
We dated for a long time and two years after the marriage, she wanted a divorce ...

because she wasn't happay. :rolleyes: I thank the Gods every day and I've been living the dream ever since. :cool:

Yesterday, for instance. So the decision isn't whether or not to buy the Talon (you have to establish credit somehow), it's about getting married. If you don't want kids, don't fall for the Disney Fantasy it's a fools folly.

Fair warning -

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
We dated for a long time and two years after the marriage, she wanted a divorce ...
View attachment 258536

because she wasn't happay. :rolleyes: I thank the Gods every day and I've been living the dream ever since. :cool:
View attachment 258537

Yesterday, for instance. So the decision isn't whether or not to buy the Talon (you have to establish credit somehow), it's about getting married. If you don't want kids, don't fall for the Disney Fantasy it's a fools folly.
View attachment 258538

Fair warning -
View attachment 258539
@CID you are the man!!

D

DMack762

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon R
We just purchased our '21 Talon RLV a few weeks ago. I've been wanting one for the past three years, ever since they were announced. However, I waited until I could pay cash for it. I can tell you this, the dealer we used was awesome, but they didn't care if we paid cash for it, or financed it. The price, was the price. These things are in such demand right now, and inventory is scarce. We knew the OTD price before I picked it up. I had ordered all of our upgrades even before we had the unit at home. The entire first weekend was spent putting all the new parts on it, but it was well worth it.

Financing is a double edged sword... it helps you get into something sooner, but you have to be focused and pay it off quickly. In the end, it's a "toy"... but, let me tell you... this thing is a BLAST!!!!!

We are AVID Jeepers, we have a VERY well built Wrangler LJ Rubicon, and I can foresee us being in the Talon more than the Jeep.

Good luck with your decision... buying the Talon was one of my best decisions I've made recently. Oh, and be safe out there!!! Thank you for what you do!

Cheers!

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Your Going to do what your going to do I don't even see how you paid for those vehicles in that short of time. I don't see the whole picture I think you're mom and dad might of helped you but won't help buy a SxS. Just my 2 cents have fun good luck

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
We just purchased our '21 Talon RLV a few weeks ago. I've been wanting one for the past three years, ever since they were announced. However, I waited until I could pay cash for it. I can tell you this, the dealer we used was awesome, but they didn't care if we paid cash for it, or financed it. The price, was the price. These things are in such demand right now, and inventory is scarce. We knew the OTD price before I picked it up. I had ordered all of our upgrades even before we had the unit at home. The entire first weekend was spent putting all the new parts on it, but it was well worth it.

Financing is a double edged sword... it helps you get into something sooner, but you have to be focused and pay it off quickly. In the end, it's a "toy"... but, let me tell you... this thing is a BLAST!!!!!

We are AVID Jeepers, we have a VERY well built Wrangler LJ Rubicon, and I can foresee us being in the Talon more than the Jeep.

Good luck with your decision... buying the Talon was one of my best decisions I've made recently. Oh, and be safe out there!!! Thank you for what you do!

Cheers!
What part of NM are you in/riding in?

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You seem to be very responsible and have a better understanding of your finances than most people. If it weren't for that fact, I wound flat out say not to make such a purchase. I do think you could handle the payments, and interest rates are extremely low. That being said, remember that once you buy the machine you will undoubtedly want to add this, upgrade that, and spend more money on it than you planned. Assuming you have a little start on saving for the long term like a 401k, or at least a serious plan to start saving at some point before you are 30, I would not say that what you are considering is reckless. However, it is a bit on the extravagent side.

If you are going to make the purchase, find out what the payments will be and see how it fits into what you think you can afford. You don't want to cramp your lifestyle for a UTV.

Reactions: TripleB
B

Bob1000r

Feb 2, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Don’t finance toys imho. Save up and pay cash. It’s always a better long term financial plan.
I would agree, but money is so cheap right now. If there was ever a time to buy something that you dont have the cash for now would be the time.

Reactions: Mudwing and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!