P500 Decision on used P500

O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2015 p500 from a relative. It's stock; no accessories or mods. 95 hours on it. I plan on using it primarily to hunt with and to work the hunting lease (pull a swisher rough cut, spray with boomless sprayer, and maybe pull a light disk occasionally).
He's asking $5,500 for it....I'm in the market for a ATV since I sold my P700 awhile back.
My biggest concern is hauling it without a trailer. I have a Toyota Tundra crew max with a short bed.

My questions are;
Is this a good buy assuming there is only normal wear and tear?
What should I be on the lookout for when I inspect it?
Can the p500 do the work I'm after?
What can I do to reinforce my tailgate (if it fits) if buying a trailer isn't an option?

Really regret selling my 700, but now in need. Also....I'm getting older and not as nimble as I used to be.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2015 p500 from a relative. It's stock; no accessories or mods. 95 hours on it. I plan on using it primarily to hunt with and to work the hunting lease (pull a swisher rough cut, spray with boomless sprayer, and maybe pull a light disk occasionally).
He's asking $5,500 for it....I'm in the market for a ATV since I sold my P700 awhile back.
My biggest concern is hauling it without a trailer. I have a Toyota Tundra crew max with a short bed.

My questions are;
What can I do to reinforce my tailgate (if it fits) if buying a trailer isn't an option?

Really regret selling my 700, but now in need. Also....I'm getting older and not as nimble as I used to be.
YES , JUST LOOK IT OVER , YES , THESE ARE THE GATE SUPPORTS Buy Tailgates Accessories Pennsylvania - DG Manufacturing They work great and very easy to use . Now go get it and enjoy .
If it's too long it is easy to mod the front bumper to shorten it up about 4-5 inches , I did mine .

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
WOW. great price.
Look it over. Other then it being sunk, the 500 is a rock and really no other concerns.
Look for mud up high. But if this thing is clean. You have a fairly good deal.

15HP500

15HP500

May 26, 2016
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 500
YES , JUST LOOK IT OVER , YES , THESE ARE THE GATE SUPPORTS Discount Ramps.com LLC . They work great and very easy to use . Now go get it and enjoy .
If it's too long it is easy to mod the front bumper to shorten it up about 4-5 inches , I did mine .
How'd you mod the front Bumper? Link?

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
How'd you mod the front Bumper? Link?
Cut off the upper brace to the lower section of the bumper then push it back and thru bolt it to the upper bumper .
Now the tires stick out an inch or so further than the front bumper .
IMG 7767
IMG 7768

O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
It's been used on a 10 acre farm, trails mainly. No water riding ever. Will need 100 hour service before I put it into use. Will need some boot protectors and I have a 4k lb warn winch waiting to be mounted.

I looked at the website and of course, they offer tailgate supports for just about every truck EXCEPT a Toyota Tundra:(
Damn short bed crewmax...I knew I'd regret it one day.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

My questions are;

A slightly used P5 is worth $5500 all day! It's a goat, would recommend better tires for what you're asking it to do. Yeah, you shoulda' bought a Chevy. ;)

O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
Update: my nephew had the 100 hour service done. He put full synthetic gear oil and engine oil and all filters changed. I'm picking it up next week.

Already ordered;
Strongmade front winch bumper/brush guard
Strongmade front and rear stick stoppers
Strongmade gun rack for rear ROPS
24" light bar
Have a 4000lb warn winch
Gonna get a soft removable windshield (it's too hot here in LA for permanent)
Accessory sub harness.
Looking at roofs.....haven't decided yet.

A modding we will go, a modding we will go! Geeze my wallet is getting light...

O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
Update: my nephew had the 100 hour service done. He put full synthetic gear oil and engine oil and all filters changed. I'm picking it up next week.

Already ordered;
Strongmade front winch bumper/brush guard
Strongmade front and rear stick stoppers
Strongmade gun rack for rear ROPS
24" light bar
Have a 4000lb warn winch
Gonna get a soft removable windshield (it's too hot here in LA for permanent)
Accessory sub harness.
Looking at roofs.....haven't decided yet.

A modding we will go, a modding we will go! Geeze my wallet is getting light...

Oh....almost forgot. Bought a new 6x12 trailer to haul it. That stung.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@OutdoorEd , that Strongmade front bumper is nice, especially with the top bar, but the front bolts are a PITA with the angle of the bumper, try a ratcheting box wrench. The OEM windshield easy to take off, did mine yesterday. The OEM roof adds height and need a extra height enclosed trailer with my larger tires, If I did it again, would go with flat models, IMO. Also wireless winch remote for under $20 has been well worth it.

O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
@OutdoorEd , that Strongmade front bumper is nice, especially with the top bar, but the front bolts are a PITA with the angle of the bumper, try a ratcheting box wrench. The OEM windshield easy to take off, did mine yesterday. The OEM roof adds height and need a extra height enclosed trailer with my larger tires, If I did it again, would go with flat models, IMO. Also wireless winch remote for under $20 has been well worth it.
It's just too hot down here for a hard windshield. I'm trying to find a roll-up vinyl one like I had before on my P700/4 but not certain the frame dimensions are the same. Also debating about the Honda soft roof for the time being. I don't have it yet, but plan on picking it up next week. Everything should be in that time so I'll have plenty of time to prepare.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
It's just too hot down here for a hard windshield. I'm trying to find a roll-up vinyl one like I had before on my P700/4 but not certain the frame dimensions are the same. Also debating about the Honda soft roof for the time being. I don't have it yet, but plan on picking it up next week. Everything should be in that time so I'll have plenty of time to prepare.
This hard roof works great and I think it cost less than a soft top ! MOOSE UTILITY DIVISION ROOF HONDA PIONEER500 MUD 5211247
Uh oh . Not there anymore but this roof was 135.00 with shipping .It also works well with the 3 pc fold down windshield . Your roll up vinyl sounds good too . I'm sure you could go to a upholstery shop and have one made . They make them with isinglass for boats .

Last edited:
Reactions: OutdoorEd
O

OutdoorEd

Apr 25, 2015
Thanks for the info. After researching, I decided to go with the EMP aluminum roof. I like the channels that force water to the sides and the low profile. Hopefully I'll still be able to use the soft windshield with it. If not, I'll make due with some other type and use the soft windshield as a back window or something.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!