A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello, I'm AVKO

Hi!

I think it's finally time to upgrade from a 1 seater to a 4/5 seater (family of 4) and hopefully you can point me in the right direction and help me spend more than I should!

Main use will be for ice fishing as well as hunting and helping out on the in-laws farm. I don't need a rocket just need something that will always get me home. At some point I would like to put tracks on it.

Currently debating between the 700-4D and the 1000-5D. I test drove the standard units at the local dealer and thought the 700 was smoother at lower speeds but definitely like the looks of the 1000 better.

Pricing appears to be a lot more attractive on the 700 but don't want any regrets since I plan to keep it for a long time.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : No
I have owned, or currently own the following: ATV
My off-road experience level is: Ez-Rider
My favorite place to ride is: Frozen lakes

Reactions: sharp and elkguide
Tuco69

Tuco69

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2017
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was recently in your position. Looked at the 700 an 1000. Decided on a camo 1000-3 eps unit. Like the room but.....definitely wider than what the roads (paths) I've made over my property over the years. Will be widening and bush hogging after deer season.

Last edited:
Reactions: elkguide
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the rust belt area! I'm rocking the seven hundo!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Texas
The 700 is a virtually bulletproof machine, it' not fast but it will get you to where your going. It' not mountain goat but very dependable.
The 1000 is a beast, very nimble and plenty of power.
I have had both and the 700 was great, I just wanted more power after a couple years.

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from SC!!! You will not go wrong with either one! I will say that the 1000 looks amazing with the tracks though! :)

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from SE Missouri

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from Louisiana.

If money is truly an issue, you won't be disappointed in the 700.
If there is some way you can afford the 1000. I'd say "do it".

Either way, I strongly recommend the rear seats. They hold their value and you WILL use them.

Reactions: ohanacreek
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello, I'm AVKO

Hi!

I think it's finally time to upgrade from a 1 seater to a 4/5 seater (family of 4) and hopefully you can point me in the right direction and help me spend more than I should!

Main use will be for ice fishing as well as hunting and helping out on the in-laws farm. I don't need a rocket just need something that will always get me home. At some point I would like to put tracks on it.

Currently debating between the 700-4D and the 1000-5D. I test drove the standard units at the local dealer and thought the 700 was smoother at lower speeds but definitely like the looks of the 1000 better.

Pricing appears to be a lot more attractive on the 700 but don't want any regrets since I plan to keep it for a long time.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : No
I have owned, or currently own the following: ATV
My off-road experience level is: Ez-Rider
My favorite place to ride is: Frozen lakes

Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information and people on here.

For your stated purpose I would recommend the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe over the 700 for very cold weather riding. I have owned 2 Honda Rincon 680 ATV for several years, this is the power plant in the 700 SXS. The way the clutch works from my experience the engine oil needs to be at near operating temp to get the clutch and transmission to shift smoothly.

I only bring this up being as you mentioned ice fishing and frozen lakes. The 1000 has double the power and much better ride in the rough too.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1000 eps owner here and very happy with my decision. The power and the power steering make it just so perfect for me.
So join us and let the spending begin!!!!!!

There are just so many upgrades that you will "NEED!"

Reactions: Tuco69
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
1000 eps owner here and very happy with my decision. The power and the power steering make it just so perfect for me.
So join us and let the spending begin!!!!!!

There are just so many upgrades that you will "NEED!"

Well this will help you blow the first 6K.

Jackal's P1000-5

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club from Cleveland.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the forum
I have 700 and I would go 1000 with tracks

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the welcome and all the information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information and people on here.

For your stated purpose I would recommend the Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe over the 700 for very cold weather riding. I have owned 2 Honda Rincon 680 ATV for several years, this is the power plant in the 700 SXS. The way the clutch works from my experience the engine oil needs to be at near operating temp to get the clutch and transmission to shift smoothly.

I only bring this up being as you mentioned ice fishing and frozen lakes. The 1000 has double the power and much better ride in the rough too.

Thanks for the valuable information. It wouldn’t be uncommon to experience -20F temps. Does anyone have experience on how well either unit starts in subzero temps?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the valuable information. It wouldn’t be uncommon to experience -20F temps. Does anyone have experience on how well either unit starts in subzero temps?

Both being fuel injected they should start just fine in very cold weather. The coldest I have been in was 6 degrees and started up just fine. Really helps to let them warm up a few minutes to get the oil flowing.

We have many members from Alaska on here, I don't recall complaining from any of them about starting up.

A

AVKO

Nov 19, 2017
Sioux Falls, SD
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks everyone for all the information. Picked up a blue ‘17 P1K5D yesterday.

I’ll be installing the Honda roof and two piece windshield myself. Is it easier if one or the other is installed first?

AVKO

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for all the information. Picked up a blue ‘17 P1K5D yesterday.

I’ll be installing the Honda roof and two piece windshield myself. Is it easier if one or the other is installed first?

AVKO

Install windshield first.

Reactions: Rayrule
MikeG

MikeG

Dec 30, 2017
Baton Rouge LA.
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from Louisiana!

I found it to be the easiest starting with the bottom of the windscreen and work up. After it's all on you can make any adjustments needed

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!